Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 17, 2017, 01:05:25 AM
Best worst US 101 shield ever along the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road in Big Sur:

IMG_0440 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

That's awesome  :D

Buck87

Would a single digit number in a 3 digit US shield be appropriate for this thread?

VS988

Android

I dunno.  I already posted one 4 years ago that was probably worse (narrower typeface in that too-wide shield) and no one commented on it at the time.

Quote from: Android on September 25, 2013, 11:10:22 PM
I just got back from a road trip, and while I did see a few annoying signs along the way, I didn't bother to try to take any pictures.  Only when I was on the end of my journey did I fire up my camera - here is one of a couple of bad US 6 signs I spotted while travelling down CO23 in Holyoke, CO:

-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

jakeroot

^^
I would say those are more design errors, appropriate for this thread:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7046.0

slorydn1

^
^ Yeah, I think it was established that to be worst worthy a sign would need to meet the criteria of cRaIG cOuntY levels of unadulterated suck. These US-6 examples do not meet that criteria.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Hurricane Rex

I'd be one thing if they used series E on it (still inexcudavle but not as much) but series C? Really sign department? :pan: 

Edit: My spell check and hands either really like me or hate me. I almost always post on my phone and for whatever reason I can't type accurately on there.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 29, 2017, 04:34:12 AM
[It'd] be one [thing if] they used series E on it (still [inexcusable] but not as much) but series C? Really sign department? :pan:

It's possible they used Series C (in that US-6 shield from CO) because the 2di-width called for it, but it wasn't changed to a wider series when the wider shield was accidentally used.

thenetwork

Quote from: slorydn1 on December 28, 2017, 10:16:11 PM
^
^ Yeah, I think it was established that to be worst worthy a sign would need to meet the criteria of cRaIG cOuntY levels of unadulterated suck. These US-6 examples do not meet that criteria.

Is the cRaIG cOuntY sign still standing?  Has anyone called ODOT to complain? What did they say?

Brandon

Quote from: thenetwork on December 29, 2017, 11:05:06 AM
Quote from: slorydn1 on December 28, 2017, 10:16:11 PM
^

Is the cRaIG cOuntY sign still standing?  Has anyone called ODOT to complain? What did they say?

It and its MaYes CountY counterpart are still there on Google Streetview.  Two bad signs for the price of one location.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

New Mexico Route 150 goes though Hoover, Alabama...Sort of. (This is from 2014, and it's thankfully gone now.)

TBKS1

Quote from: formulanone on January 17, 2018, 11:08:55 PM
New Mexico Route 150 goes though Hoover, Alabama...Sort of. (This is from 2014, and it's thankfully gone now.)

That is huge...
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Android

no... it's HUUGGGEE.   hah!
-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

Brandon

Shoot, that completely and totally dwarfs the bubble I-shield next to it.  It's yet another example of why I'm not always a fan of state-shape shields.  Who knew Alabama took over half to three-quarters of Georgia!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thenetwork

Quote from: TBKS1 on January 17, 2018, 11:42:49 PM

That is huge...

As is the one on the other side of the intersection!

vdeane

What does this jumbo sign have to do with New Mexico?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on January 18, 2018, 12:42:17 PM

What does this jumbo sign have to do with New Mexico?

The state outline shape is closer to New Mexico than Alabama.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

vdeane

New Mexico is one step away from a generic circle shield.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on January 18, 2018, 01:21:39 PM

Look at the state shape.  Either Alabama put on enough pounds to start looking like New Mexico, or Alabama swallowed a good chunk of Georgia.

formulanone

Quote from: vdeane on January 18, 2018, 01:21:39 PM

I know the basic shields are circles that usually have zias, but their Frontage Road shields have a state outline:

US 89

Voyager75

I've not gone down Galleria Blvd. in over a year so my memory is foggy but I'm positive they replaced two perfect AL-150 East/West shields with just one of those monstrosities when the Exit 13 flyover was completed years ago. I think there are new east/west ones in place now but they're not perfect.

iPhone

Voyager75

Quote from: Brandon on January 18, 2018, 09:33:59 AM
Shoot, that completely and totally dwarfs the bubble I-shield next to it.  It's yet another example of why I'm not always a fan of state-shape shields.  Who knew Alabama took over half to three-quarters of Georgia!

Here are the similar bubble shield TO 20/59 and SOUTH 459 out on southbound 459 past Exit 13. What's worse is that the current ones are identical copies of the first ones that were destroyed after a wreck a few years ago. Those replaced the old school original shields after the Galleria flyover was built because I think they were beginning to fade.

iPhone

Scott5114

The right panel is another ODOT special. The more you look at it the worse it gets.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 01, 2018, 02:58:01 PM

The right panel is another ODOT special. The more you look at it the worse it gets.

What I noticed:
1. Wrong Arrow
2. Arrow appears to be skewed?
3. Univ O f Okla
4. Lindsey Street appears to have been mounted on a slight decline.
5. The word EXIT is way to small on the main part of the sign, and likely isn't needed anyways.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

webny99

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 01, 2018, 03:03:42 PM
What I noticed:
1. Wrong Arrow
2. Arrow appears to be skewed?
3. Univ O f Okla
4. Lindsey Street appears to have been mounted on a slight decline.
5. The word EXIT is way to small on the main part of the sign, and likely isn't needed anyways.

The "exit" in the upper panel also seems to be slightly smaller than it is on the left.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.