News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 20, 2017, 08:39:43 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on May 20, 2017, 07:42:08 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 19, 2017, 11:41:11 PM
Quote from: I-90 on May 19, 2017, 09:21:00 PM
snipped picture

Not sure that a sign missing a bolt counts as "worst of."

I'm thinking the "worst of cred" goes to the green background, arrows, & TO banners?

Oh, yeah, you're probably right. :pan:

Well, but even so, it's an irregular sign, but it's not a bad attempt at an irregular sign.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 20, 2017, 09:00:22 AM
In other words, not even close to the worst of.

Yeah, I mean...if I asked you what's the capital of Florida and you said "Miami", it would be wrong, but not the worst possible answer. Now if you said "Anchorage", "Shanghai" or "Humptulips", then we'd be getting into answers that are pretty bad.

And if you said "tuphlem grdlphmp" or "chumble spuzz", then we'd be talking about pure, unadulterated suck. :-D

formulanone

There's quite few of those ugly shields along the Tamiami Trail. They're kind of yucky.

Though, these may be even uglier:

PurdueBill

Quote from: empirestate on May 20, 2017, 10:05:22 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 20, 2017, 08:39:43 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on May 20, 2017, 07:42:08 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 19, 2017, 11:41:11 PM
Quote from: I-90 on May 19, 2017, 09:21:00 PM
snipped picture

Not sure that a sign missing a bolt counts as "worst of."

I'm thinking the "worst of cred" goes to the green background, arrows, & TO banners?

Oh, yeah, you're probably right. :pan:

Well, but even so, it's an irregular sign, but it's not a bad attempt at an irregular sign.

Those Philadelphia unisigns aren't that bad.  All they really need to do is omit the border from the fake directional banners and arrow signs, and it becomes a normal little green sign that is actually done in correct colors for a little green sign. 

jbnv

Quote from: formulanone on May 20, 2017, 05:45:39 PM
Though, these may be even uglier:

Shapes like that remind me of Sully from Monsters Inc.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

JMoses24

Quote from: mrsman on December 26, 2016, 10:51:54 AM
Quote from: slorydn1 on December 26, 2016, 03:55:40 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 26, 2016, 03:06:35 AM
Quote from: plain on December 25, 2016, 10:25:24 PM
Quote from: jbnv on December 25, 2016, 10:14:37 PM
They took down a gantry to put up... these.

But at least they aren't in Clearview.  :rolleyes: :pan:

That's the dumbest shit I've seen in a very long time. Why would they do that??

Those look like remarkably half-assed shields on the pavement, too.

You're not kidding! They are hideous.

The shields on the pavement look more like Quebec autoroute symbols.

If you're going to do them...this is more like what it should look like. (I-71 in Cincinnati)

https://goo.gl/maps/5arERVgBDGo

tckma

Maryland SHA: "Let's see... how can we make this sign bigger in the cheapest and laziest way possible?"
Howard County Highway Department: "Hang on... Hold my beer..."

epzik8

Quote from: tckma on May 25, 2017, 12:21:51 AM
Maryland SHA: "Let's see... how can we make this sign bigger in the cheapest and laziest way possible?"
Howard County Highway Department: "Hang on... Hold my beer..."

Ha. My dad's youngest sister and her family used to live in HoCo. Actually, she and her husband still do.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

7/8

"Worst" is a bit extreme, but the fact that the numbers are so high up on this shield bothers me...

CanesFan27

What I all a variable highway sign...just add another layer of tape.

Variable US Highway Shield by Adam Prince, on Flickr

1995hoo

Taken last night approaching FedEx Field for the U2 concert. "Worst of" due to the ugly typeface but more due to what a massive middle finger it is from the Redskins' management to anyone heading to the stadium (and the subway isn't a viable option–the concert ended at 11:00, the nearest subway stop is a mile away, and the last train leaves at 11:27). For $60 they should give you air-conditioned flush toilets instead of rows of Don's Johns!!!!

The only positive about this fee is that the guy didn't even bat an eye when I handed him a $100 bill and asked for change. Should have given him $110 and asked for a $50 back.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

That's how much they charge for parking? Wow.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

empirestate

That's not even NYC-level gouging!

PurdueBill

Metro not running late for an event is pretty rotten. Even BART runs service to the coliseum for events when they would otherwise not be running.

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on June 22, 2017, 03:40:40 PM
How full was the lot?

Don't know, couldn't see all the lots from where we were, and our seats were in the lower bowl near the stage so we couldn't see out of the stadium. It was crowded enough that we waited half an hour after the show before turning on the car to leave (plus my yellow gas light was on when we got there, so I didn't want to sit around idling).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 23, 2017, 09:34:54 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 22, 2017, 03:40:40 PM
How full was the lot?

Don't know, couldn't see all the lots from where we were, and our seats were in the lower bowl near the stage so we couldn't see out of the stadium. It was crowded enough that we waited half an hour after the show before turning on the car to leave (plus my yellow gas light was on when we got there, so I didn't want to sit around idling).

I suppose the 30 minute wait is pretty telling. I can only assume the $60 charge was the result of not having enough parking for the number of cars expected. Supply and demand of you will. Or they were just gouging you. Lol

I've worked parking for several events at a stadium near where I live. We charge a varying amount, based on the number of expected patrons and the cost of entry (i.e. cost of ticket) (free events shouldn't be charged $25 for parking, for example).

freebrickproductions

Need a replacement E5-1 sign for an older one that had an interstate shield on it but got mowed down, and don't have any funding? Just take ALDOT's approach and slap an interstate shield on a generic E5-1 sign when putting it up!
Cheaply-done Exit Gore Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Ain't the only one in the city like it either!
Just Tacky by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And according to street view, the second one is still there as well, having been remounted onto a double post!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Brian556

Quote from freebrickproductions

Now that's creative :-D I would have never thought to do that  :-D

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Brian556 on July 01, 2017, 02:34:03 AM
Quote from freebrickproductions

Now that's creative :-D I would have never thought to do that  :-D
ALDOT can do wonderful things with a budget of $5, a toothpick, and a used spork! :ded:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

epzik8

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 21, 2017, 09:27:02 PM
Taken last night approaching FedEx Field for the U2 concert. "Worst of" due to the ugly typeface but more due to what a massive middle finger it is from the Redskins' management to anyone heading to the stadium (and the subway isn't a viable option–the concert ended at 11:00, the nearest subway stop is a mile away, and the last train leaves at 11:27). For $60 they should give you air-conditioned flush toilets instead of rows of Don's Johns!!!!

The only positive about this fee is that the guy didn't even bat an eye when I handed him a $100 bill and asked for change. Should have given him $110 and asked for a $50 back.

I freaking hate FedEx. It sucks because I love my Redskins.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

7/8

Windsor has someugly signs. These were taken on Ouellette Avenue and Dougall Parkway.

A very large left turn arrow

Strange font for the 401 (and "all highways" is pretty vague)

A bad photo of a bad sign. Why is the 401 shield so small? It's also not aligned with the text below :pan:

plain

Quote from: 7/8 on July 02, 2017, 10:41:04 PM

Strange font for the 401 (and "all highways" is pretty vague)

I would put this in my Top 5 Worst Signs Ever. I legit hope that everyone who passes that thing talks shit about it
Newark born, Richmond bred

7/8

One more from Windsor that I didn't notice the first time; the exit for Howard Avenue Northbound uses both a down arrow and an up-right arrow.

tckma

Here's a STOP sign I saw today in a shopping center just off MD-198 in Laurel, Maryland that must have been manufactured on Opposite Day.  Does that make it a GO sign?

cjk374

Quote from: tckma on July 03, 2017, 10:16:21 PM
Here's a STOP sign I saw today in a shopping center just off MD-198 in Laurel, Maryland that must have been manufactured on Opposite Day.  Does that make it a GO sign?

To me, it looks like an old faded sign that someone came along and filled in the letters with red/brown primer.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.