News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

I've noticed that for the new overpasses going in, there is a vertical wall at the ends of the overpass, where it meets the outside shoulder of the road it's passing over. This makes something of a "cliff" right where the actual overcrossing begins.

Some other overpasses elsewhere have a different style, where there is an angled incline and then an angled decline before meeting the outside shoulder. This makes something of a hill, and the overcrossing begins a bit before you get to the actual road.

Here's a GSV of an an example of the first kind:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1227093,-86.5715931,3a,75y,156.72h,99.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGuHCF-b3zQNrg5CbuMlUsA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And the second:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.3081878,-82.3389504,3a,75y,63.88h,102.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPVf4PEg1kqhocsh2d7fyrA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Does anyone know why one would choose the "cliff" over the "hill" or vice-versa? What sort of though goes into this decision?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ysuindy

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on January 02, 2018, 12:10:17 PM
With the excessively cold weather and the holidays, what work, if any has been done on I-69 SIU-3 Section 5?

How cold does it have to get to stop construction?  Did they stop work around Christmas and New Year's at all?

Went from Indy to Vincennes via 37-69-50 on the Friday between Christmas and New Year's.  Left Indy at Noon.  Saw no work being done on our trip.  Plenty of Indiana's finest running radar between Martinsville and Bloomington, but no construction workers.

Ended up coming back late Saturday night and took 41 to 70.  The stretch between Bloomington and Washington was just too desolate for a late night ride for me with temperatures below zero.  I had been on 69 between Washington and 231 when that was open, but my first time on the stretch west of Bloomington.  Was interesting to see the one section where the median disappeared and had a wall between the lanes.  Made sense as it was the stretch where a couple of valleys were crossed and building up the normal wide median made no sense.  Saw that Country Mark was building a new, larger store building at the 231 exit.  Since that served as our rest area on the way, that's good to see.  I now know to stop in Bloomington to use the restroom if I ever drive that way again.

silverback1065

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 10, 2018, 09:19:08 PM
I've noticed that for the new overpasses going in, there is a vertical wall at the ends of the overpass, where it meets the outside shoulder of the road it's passing over. This makes something of a "cliff" right where the actual overcrossing begins.

Some other overpasses elsewhere have a different style, where there is an angled incline and then an angled decline before meeting the outside shoulder. This makes something of a hill, and the overcrossing begins a bit before you get to the actual road.

Here's a GSV of an an example of the first kind:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1227093,-86.5715931,3a,75y,156.72h,99.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGuHCF-b3zQNrg5CbuMlUsA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And the second:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.3081878,-82.3389504,3a,75y,63.88h,102.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPVf4PEg1kqhocsh2d7fyrA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Does anyone know why one would choose the "cliff" over the "hill" or vice-versa? What sort of though goes into this decision?

I talked to a structural engineer, the "hill" you mentioned is called a "slope wall", the "cliff" is an MSE (mechanically stabilized earth) Wall.  You are starting to see more of the MSE style, because it's cheaper.  he gave other reasons too, but it seems that the biggest reason is costs.   

bmeiser

WTHR's weather map shows I-69 going into Morgan County halfway to Martinsville 🤨

NE2

Quote from: bmeiser on January 11, 2018, 11:23:50 PM
WTHR's weather map shows I-69 going into Morgan County halfway to Martinsville 🤨
Who cares?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Hurricane Rex

Does anyone have any guesses when this is going to be done?
My guess is 25 years from now.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

bmeiser

Quote from: NE2 on January 11, 2018, 11:43:34 PM
Who cares?

Damn, just pointing it out. Thought it was interesting...

Captain Jack

Quote from: bmeiser on January 12, 2018, 06:51:25 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 11, 2018, 11:43:34 PM
Who cares?

Damn, just pointing it out. Thought it was interesting...

I think the recent cold snap down there, and the threat of a snowflake has everyone in Florida a little edgy.

NE2

I love the cold. I hate people freaking out over random fourth-party maps.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bmeiser

Your age explains your comments. I'll leave you alone.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: NE2 on January 12, 2018, 03:06:03 PM
Someone sharing a small piece of information they noticed constitutes them freaking out. Gotcha.

Edit: the term gotcha was used in light manner and rather sarcastically but not too sarcastic. Only enough to indicate I am not "freaking out"  which you might try and claim I am doing.

ITB

Hey guys. We've passed the halfway point of winter, so it's time for a short update. What's been accomplished on Section 5 during the last couple of months? In two words: A lot! It's not even mid-February and the bridge beams for the Tapp Road overpass are poised to be put in place. Concrete barrier walls have been poured near the future interchange at Liberty Church Road and north of Sample Road in Morgan and Monroe counties, respectfully. Moreover, work to install guard rails has been robust, and the third and final sound wall near the Fullerton Road interchange is moving swiftly toward completion. With the recent advances in cold weather concrete curing, it appears road and bridge construction–at least in South-Central Indiana–is now almost a year round endeavor.

Here's a few pictures of the scene at the future Tapp Road/I-69 interchange. Photos were taken February 6, 2018. Tip: To expand the photos, Right Click and select View Image.

As evening approaches, preparations are underway to place the main structural bridge beams that will carry Tapp Road over future Interstate 69 in Bloomington, Indiana; looking southeast. Here crew members are in the process of adding counterweights to the two cranes. The schedule was to set the beams over northbound State Road 37 overnight, Tuesday, February 6, but because a light snow was forecast, the task was postponed. It will probably be rescheduled for Wednesday night. When the beams over northbound 37 have been set, crews will shift to those that cross over the southbound lanes. At this time, that's scheduled to occur Thursday night.

Mid-range view of the scene at the Tapp Road work zone as the sun begins to set; looking southeast.

Slightly different perspective; looking east.

Close up of the two cranes; looking east.

Work continued as darkness began to fall, but soon wrapped up due to the light snow forecast.

Edit: To fix photos that weren't loading properly.

ATLRedSoxFan

Crybaby triggered. Sheesh, have to have a loathsome remark when somebody's making an observation and trying to contribute.

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on February 07, 2018, 04:40:46 AM
Crybaby triggered. Sheesh, have to have a loathsome remark when somebody's making an observation and trying to contribute.
Quote from: NE2 on January 12, 2018, 03:06:03 PM
And the moderators keep putting up with it, when other posters are only trying to contribute.Been putting up with it for years.

ATLRedSoxFan

Not to hijack the thread, snarky remarks need to be left out of threads. Tired of reading them. Rather read contributions without a snarky remark.

silverback1065

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on February 07, 2018, 04:40:46 AM

not sure what this is referring to, i think the mods deleted the comment.

Great photos, I didn't know that they were allowed to do concrete work in the cold, good to see progress still being made.

dcharlie

ITB, thanks for all the pictures! I really enjoy this thread because of your posts!

ITB

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 07, 2018, 09:48:16 AM
Great photos, I didn't know that they were allowed to do concrete work in the cold, good to see progress still being made.

Quote from: dcharlie on February 08, 2018, 08:29:38 AM
ITB, thanks for all the pictures! I really enjoy this thread because of your posts!

Thanks, guys, for the kind words. I was out last night taking a few more, and I'm going to post them right now.

ITB

As expected, the operation to place the bridge beams for the overpass that will carry Tapp Road over future Interstate 69 in Bloomington, Indiana, started last night, Wednesday, February 7. Here's a few photos.

At the future Tapp Road overpass, the first beam to be placed has been lifted and is being guided to the proper position; looking southeast.

Crew members await the beam as its slowly lowered.

Positioning the beam exactly where it needs to be. Note the crew members on the right end, on their knees. The temperature was in the low 20s, and for these guys to be doing this, really says something.

Long range view of the scene Wednesday night; looking southeast. The second beam has arrived via the truck with the green cab.

Welding is underway as crew members work to secure the first beam.

These guys, I believe, are the crew members whose job is to disconnect the load binders and chains that attach the beam to the transport truck. They are also, probably, responsible for attaching the crane cables to the beam. Note the already attached cables.

Mid-range view, as the second beam is just about to be lifted.

The second beam being moved into position.

Slowly lowered, crew members work to put the beam in proper position. After this one, only five more to go. And then tomorrow night, the operation shifts to place the beams over the southbound lanes.

silverback1065

INDOT has just updated maps based on the environmental impact statement http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/2345.htm

2 observations:

1- The county line road interchange is... interesting
2- Morgan and Johnson County should work together to connect some of the east-west streets in the area (which would involve bridges over white river) it would help connectivity, and I'm saying this because I think this may cause growth to occur in the area.  Hamilton County made this mistake by not having another crossing in between 116th and 146th.

Buck87

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 08, 2018, 03:28:37 PM
INDOT has just updated maps based on the environmental impact statement http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/2345.htm

I see they mixed up east and west on the link titles for maps 9 and 10

But anyway, I like the braided ramps to avoid weaving between the existing 37/465 interchange and the future 69/465 interchange.

ITB

Section 6 of Indiana's I-69 Corridor Project has taken a big step forward. Yesterday, February 8, INDOT released the joint Tier 2 Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) and the Record of Decision (ROD) for Section 6. We all knew it would happen, that Section 6 would be built, and the ROD is the official confirmation, giving the green light to begin the process of construction. With the ROD in hand, INDOT and the State of Indiana will now move forward with land acquisition and preliminary design, with detailed design soon to follow.

Here's the INDOT Press Release:

And here's the links to the FEIS and the ROD:

http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/2515.htm (FEIS)
http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/files/I69S6FEIS_ROD.pdf (ROD)

Life in Paradise

Good news and bad news:
1.  Good news that both the bridge and the final Central Indiana section are moving along, and perhaps we might see construction completed on both in 10  years
2.  Bad news is that construction will start and especially for the Martinsville to I-465 corridor will be construction delays (I'm going to bet we are not going to see a consortium like last time)
3.  Good news #2 is that since construction won't start around Martinsville for at least a year or two and that the Bloomington to Martinsville stretch will be done this year we will actually have a good travel experience for that time period.  (After that, I don't know, perhaps going through Martinsville and up IN 67).

Captain Jack

Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 10, 2018, 12:29:31 PM
Good news and bad news:
1.  Good news that both the bridge and the final Central Indiana section are moving along, and perhaps we might see construction completed on both in 10  years
2.  Bad news is that construction will start and especially for the Martinsville to I-465 corridor will be construction delays (I'm going to bet we are not going to see a consortium like last time)
3.  Good news #2 is that since construction won't start around Martinsville for at least a year or two and that the Bloomington to Martinsville stretch will be done this year we will actually have a good travel experience for that time period.  (After that, I don't know, perhaps going through Martinsville and up IN 67).

Yep..I would strongly suggest taking IN-67 from Martinsville after construction begins. It really isn't a bad route, and at least gives a nice alternative. We didn't have that with the Bloomington-Martinsville section.

Roadsguy

Tiny two-lane 39 will probably be choked with all the traffic doing exactly that.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.