News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Truck signs on NJ Interstates

Started by Janko Dialnice, July 19, 2011, 04:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

I believe we're veering way of track on the subject matter.  NJ's truck prohibitions (mainly the signs) that the OP was referring to were not erected due to height and/or vehicle weight restrictions but rather as a means of keeping through-traffic from smaller & local roads, and discourage shunpiking.  Nothing more, nothing less.

When then-Gov. Whitman's controversial ban first took effect; it was not uncommon to hear NJ 101.5 (FM) discuss the issue on their talk shows and truckers would call in. 

Many of them stated the same thing, "First I-95 (Somerset Freeway) isn't built, then they (the state) force us to use an expensive toll road that takes us too far east of where we're trying to get to."  These were obviously ones that used NJ 31 or US 206 on a regular basis as a means to reach I-78 West or I-287 North. 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 21, 2017, 02:18:15 PM
I believe we're veering way of track on the subject matter.  NJ's truck prohibitions (mainly the signs) that the OP was referring to were not erected due to height and/or vehicle weight restrictions but rather as a means of keeping through-traffic from smaller & local roads, and discourage shunpiking.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I think the discouraging shunpiking was indeed the primary motivation. 

In general, I think FHWA frowns  on states trying to enact bans on truck traffic on arterial highways, though Virginia has done it on several roads by first designating them as "Virginia Byways," the most-egregious  one I know of is U.S. 15 from U.S. 29 at Gainesville to the Potomac River south of Point-of-Rocks.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

A while back, a Delaware State Trooper openly admitted on print, that the truck traffic ban on DE 896 between the University of Delaware & DE 279 was not due to weight issues where its crosses over a bunch of railroad tracks (including Amtrak's Northeast Corridor) but indeed placed to discourage truckers from shunpiking the toll at I-95 near the MD State Line; although they can use still US 40.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Trucks used the overpass all the time. But then again, there was a very large industrial plant there which truckers went to and from. There was nothing wrong with that.

If the bridge itself was weight restricted, different signage is often used, signifying the types of trucks and weights permitted.  And a bridge that's weight restricted to 4 tons generally doesn't also post a 50 mph limit!

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 21, 2017, 07:34:48 PM
Truck prohibition signage for that stretch of DE 4 & 896 in that area
Effective for discouraging out-of-town truck traffic?  Debate-able.
Effective for discouraging familiar truck traffic?  Probably not.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 24, 2017, 08:50:27 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 21, 2017, 07:34:48 PM
Truck prohibition signage for that stretch of DE 4 & 896 in that area
Effective for discouraging out-of-town truck traffic?  Debate-able.
Effective for discouraging familiar truck traffic?  Probably not.

If they're already leaving I-95 to avoid the tolls, they already know the route.  It's not discouraging them one bit!

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 24, 2017, 08:52:03 AMIf they're already leaving I-95 to avoid the tolls, they already know the route.  It's not discouraging them one bit!
While the signs aren't effective, police presence/patrols are; such was discussed 3 years ago, see Reply #456 & onward in the Delaware thread.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 24, 2017, 09:27:06 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 24, 2017, 08:52:03 AMIf they're already leaving I-95 to avoid the tolls, they already know the route.  It's not discouraging them one bit!
While the signs aren't effective, police presence/patrols are; such was discussed 3 years ago, see Reply #456 & onward in the Delaware thread.

They are...when they're active.  These targeted patrols seem to last a short bit, then they disappear.  Newark (and Delaware in general) has enough issues with their general population; they can't afford the continuous time necessary to go after trucks on what's largely a non-residential route.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 24, 2017, 09:43:15 AMThese targeted patrols seem to last a short bit, then they disappear.  Newark (and Delaware in general) has enough issues with their general population; they can't afford the continuous time necessary to go after trucks on what's largely a non-residential route.
I agree with you 100% on this (you're mostly preaching to the choir on this subject).  I'm just mentioning what's been reported/commented on in the past.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.