News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on May 06, 2024, 05:57:37 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 05, 2024, 01:08:03 AMThe insect situation in the Central Valley of California is just as bad if not worse than what i experienced in Florida.  I ponder over this every Spring since moving here from Orlando in 2016.

When it comes to indoor pests, South Florida gets you into the habit of being a clean freak in kitchens and dining areas, or anywhere one eats. Bugs of all varieties, anytime. The Tennessee Valley is very forgiving in comparison, just more spiders.

Got that little reminder when leaving some food out in Kauai; the ant situation was just like being in Florida again, if you were careless about leftovers.

The centipedes randomly on my floor was enough to ensure I never walked around barefoot in the Keys.  That was fun stepping on several at night when I first moved there.

Henry

I was watching the series finale of Bob Hearts Abishola last night, and thinking up a crazy scenario reminiscent of the way Newhart ended:

Bob has a second heart attack (probably after reading his mother's unfinished manuscript for a memoir she's writing), then wakes up as Mike and tells Molly about the strange dream he had about being married to a Nigerian nurse and owning a sock company in Detroit. Molly asks Mike "Where the hell was I?", and then (after hearing his jarring explanation) tells him that she's cutting him off and that they're going to clean the kitchen of all the junk food tomorrow. Then, as the end credits roll for the last time, I See Love (the Mike & Molly theme) plays. So, in a nutshell, the show would've been all a dream from Mike all along.

But maybe it was all for the best that it never happened, in particular since Melissa McCarthy was fired from the show (Mike & Molly) for losing weight (or so I heard). The actual ending to Bob Hearts Abishola was much better anyway.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jgb191

I was connecting at Hobby Airport yesterday and at the gate next to where I was boarding for my onward flight back home, I overheard this:

Southwest Airlines gate agent (calmly): "Good Evening sir, what airport are you flying to tonight?"
Southwest Airlines Passenger (upset):  "I'm going to California ma'am."
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calm):  "Okay, do you know which airport?"
Southwest Airlines passenger (irate):  "I just told you, California!"
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calmly): "I understand sir, but which airport exactly?"
Southwest Airlines passenger (angrily):  "What part of 'California' do you not understand ma'am?!"
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calm):  "There are a lot of airports in California, I just need to know which one."
Southwest Airlines passenger (blows fuse):  "I need to speak to your manager, NOW!!!"

I felt really terrible; it seems that airline agents are kicked in the head way more than any other customer service profession.  I wish airlines would provide trauma assistance every week for their employees.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Scott5114

Quote from: jgb191 on May 08, 2024, 12:02:16 AMI was connecting at Hobby Airport yesterday and at the gate next to where I was boarding for my onward flight back home, I overheard this:

Southwest Airlines gate agent (calmly): "Good Evening sir, what airport are you flying to tonight?"
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calmly): "I understand sir, but which airport exactly?"
Southwest Airlines passenger (angrily):  "What part of 'California' do you not understand ma'am?!"
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calm):  "There are a lot of airports in California, I just need to know which one."
Southwest Airlines passenger (blows fuse):  "I need to speak to your manager, NOW!!!"

I felt really terrible; it seems that airline agents are kicked in the head way more than any other customer service profession.  I wish airlines would provide trauma assistance every week for their employees.

They're lucky they didn't get me. I would have just picked one at random at that point.

Hope y'all have a good trip to Daggett!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: jgb191 on May 08, 2024, 12:02:16 AMI was connecting at Hobby Airport yesterday and at the gate next to where I was boarding for my onward flight back home, I overheard this:

Props to that gate agent for trying extra hard to hold back laughter. Maybe more for just laughing that pax's face.

The only suckier job would be the ones which deal with missing/damaged baggage. You're never getting pleased customers at that point.

(Yeah, the one that clean the lavs; but that's usually contracted out.)

Rothman

Moral of the story: Never think you've encountered the epitome of stupidity.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Campbeltown Airport in Scotland it is then. (IATA code: CAL)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 08, 2024, 07:08:32 AM

At least you'd be able to drink some Springbank.

jgb191

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 08, 2024, 10:34:45 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 08, 2024, 07:08:32 AM

At least you'd be able to drink some Springbank.

So you're proposing the following:

Houston Hobby to Atlanta Hartsfield via Southwest Airlines
Atlanta Hartsfield to London Heathrow via Delta Airlines
London Heathrow to Glasgow via British Airways
Glasgow to Campbelltown (CAL) via Logan Air

Sounds good to me! 

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 08, 2024, 12:46:02 AMHope y'all have a good trip to Daggett!

The closest airport to Daggett, CA is Las Vegas McCarran Int'l Airport.  I don't know about sending him to Vegas at his raging state of mind.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

hotdogPi

Would this be a good state law to fix the housing market, or is it kernals-style bad?

If a property is not used for at least 60 days of a calendar year, it immediately goes up for auction on January 1. ("Used" includes things like Airbnb as long as there's a customer.)
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hotdogPi on May 08, 2024, 04:07:06 PMWould this be a good state law to fix the housing market, or is it kernals-style bad?

If a property is not used for at least 60 days of a calendar year, it immediately goes up for auction on January 1. ("Used" includes things like Airbnb as long as there's a customer.)

Outside of being completely unenforceable, I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Max Rockatansky

K12 being the forum defender/advocate of hyper liberal urban housing was certainly not something I was expecting.

hotdogPi

I might not have been clear enough (although you do seem to have deleted what caused me to make this clarification). It checks for 60 days of use to consider it occupied, not 60 days of non-use to consider it unoccupied.
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hotdogPi on May 08, 2024, 04:15:55 PMI might not have been clear enough (although you do seem to have deleted what caused me to make this clarification). It checks for 60 days of use to consider it occupied, not 60 days of non-use to consider it unoccupied.

Yeah, I was thinking being unoccupied for 60 days at a time. Hence I deleted my post. But I would still maintain that there are reasonable explanations for a house to not be occupied for 60 days of a year. What if you bought a fixer-upper that needed a whole lot of work and you wanted to do it in phases? I have family friends that have been building a house themselves for three years now. Never once slept there.

CoreySamson

I feel that such a law would have easy loopholes. What counts as "using the property?" Stepping inside the door? Being in the property for a certain amount of time in a day? Using the building for its proper purpose (but then that goes into the weeds as to what "proper purpose" means)? Also, how would the government track that the building is being used or not? I could see privacy issues with that.

I think the idea is good in theory, but in practice I don't think it would work, and I think it could be abused.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

Quote from: jgb191 on May 08, 2024, 02:13:34 PMThe closest airport to Daggett, CA is Las Vegas McCarran Int'l Airport.  I don't know about sending him to Vegas at his raging state of mind.

They've got that general aviation airport with the AWOS the Weather Channel used to inexplicably show on their weather maps back in the day. Put him in the back of a Piper Tri-Pacer and send him out there.

Also, it's Reid now, since McCarran was a dirtbag.

Scott5114

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 08, 2024, 04:33:02 PMI feel that such a law would have easy loopholes. What counts as "using the property?" Stepping inside the door? Being in the property for a certain amount of time in a day? Using the building for its proper purpose (but then that goes into the weeds as to what "proper purpose" means)? Also, how would the government track that the building is being used or not? I could see privacy issues with that.

I think the idea is good in theory, but in practice I don't think it would work, and I think it could be abused.

Some places have a vacancy tax that kicks in if a property is deemed vacant (I don't know what determines whether a building is vacant enough). The effects that I see from five seconds of random uninformed Googling seem to indicate that while a tax does sharply reduce the number of vacant properties, demand is usually so great anywhere a vacancy tax is implemented that it doesn't really make enough of a dent in it to actually reduce housing costs.

kkt

Quote from: hotdogPi on May 08, 2024, 04:07:06 PMWould this be a good state law to fix the housing market, or is it kernals-style bad?

How do you establish whether it's been used?  Send the Housing Police around to every house every week and see if it looks vacant?

TheHighwayMan3561

Also, what about cabins and other vacation rentals people have that they use during the summer but very little in the winter? They have no intention to cease using these properties even if some (at least those who don't ice fish or snowmobile) are not actively using them during the winter.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.