News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur)

Started by Grzrd, August 19, 2010, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony_JK

From what I saw of the proposed corridor, it would have bypassed Texarkana well to the west and met up with US 71/Future I-49 just south of the crossing of the Red River. My guess is that most of the opposition was due to the sensitive land crossed, and the cost.

Probably would be easier and less expensive to just route any I-x-69 spur from Carthage via existing US 59/AR 225/TX 151 anyway...then have a shorter extension north from there.

Oh..and technically this would NOT be I-69, but just a spur. Mainline I-69 would hook up with I-49 just south of Shreveport, near Stonewall.

Anthony

US71

Quote from: Anthony_JK on November 10, 2010, 08:31:02 AM
From what I saw of the proposed corridor, it would have bypassed Texarkana well to the west and met up with US 71/Future I-49 just south of the crossing of the Red River. My guess is that most of the opposition was due to the sensitive land crossed, and the cost.

Not necessarily. Some of the neighborhoods seem to have a concern:
http://arklatexhomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=126845
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

SW corner of Corridor Plan does look problematic; Wright Patman Lake on the western side forces proposed route very close to neighborhood(s): http://www.texarkanampo.org/documents/upcoming-activities/I-69-Proposed-Planning-Corridor-Citizen-Alternative.pdf

ADDITIONAL THOUGHT

With the lake & neighborhoods as obstacles, I wonder if they will ultimately consider routing the I-69 Spur eastward south of Texarkana & approach AHTD about an interchange with I-49 in Arkansas south of the Texarkana Loop?

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 10, 2010, 07:29:28 AM
Texarkana Gazette reports that Texarkana MPO rejected proposed I-69 Planning Corridor yesterday: http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/localnews/2010/11/10/planning-group-rescinds-i-69-backing-79.php
I could not read entire article (no subscription) & am unsure how far back this pushes planning process.
Second level of Texarkana MPO is not bound by last week's decision of Technical Committee to reject Texarkana I-69 Spur Corridor Plan; they will revisit the issue tomorrow: http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/localnews/2010/11/16/interstate-69-study-route-to-be-revisite-78.php
(still no subscription; not sure what alternatives are)

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on November 24, 2010, 06:50:09 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on November 24, 2010, 05:44:34 PM
Did you have a chance to check on 5 mile section on Arkansas side of state line?
Yes, I did.
Miller CR 41: mostly preliminary dirt work.  I-49 parallels the road
71 @ AR 549: dirt embankments still u/c on both sides of 71 and end of 549. I'm guessing less than 50 percent complete
AR 245: preliminary dirt work to the east of AR 245 just south of I-30. Less than 25 percent complete
19th St Interchange is about 75 percent finished. Overpass is complete, but work continues on ramps and rebuilding 245.
Also appears to be some work on 245 at US 82, but it was getting too dark to see.
(above quote from "I-49 in LA" thread)

Great update/ report.  Thanks for sharing (including LA updates).  One other question: does the section of AR 245 that will become part of I-49, other than 19th Street interchange, appear to be up to current interstate standards?

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on November 25, 2010, 10:01:22 AM

Great update/ report.  Thanks for sharing (including LA updates).  One other question: does the section of AR 245 that will become part of I-49, other than 19th Street interchange, appear to be up to current interstate standards?

A far as I can tell, yes it is. I'm sure 19th St will be finished sometime next Spring.

tafd00367

[/quote]

New to board and from Texarkana. The remaing section of Ar 245 that will become I-49 from Hwy. 67 to Ark. Blvd will need to be torn up and relaid it's in very rough shape and has been for number of years. Now if they do this i'm not sure, but i'm think they would with shape it's in.  The plans that I looked at arouund a month ago show that I-49 will go under Ark. Blvd. for hundred yards or so then go to right and connect into the new I-49 section. 

Hwy 82 is been widing from 2 lane to 5 lanes 4 with center turn lane. This is being done from Ar 245/I-49 to Ar Hwy 237.

Hwy 196 has been widing from Hwy 245/I-49 past Hwy 237 for appox 2-3 miles. Still 2 lanes but much better now and with wide shoulders.

19th Street area plans call for it be done in the spring, but still lots to be done.

Grzrd

Quote from: tafd00367 on December 05, 2010, 03:47:10 PM
New to board and from Texarkana.
Welcome and thanks for your initial post giving us an update re Future I-49 in your hometown.

On the Texas side, what are the primary neighborhood issues that kept the Texarkana MPO from signing off on a proposed study corridor through the MPO area for the I-69 Spur, and what is the next step in the process?

Welcome again!

EDIT - NEXT STEP IN I-69 SPUR PROCESS

I recently emailed the Texarkana MPO regarding the reported rejection of the proposed study corridor.  Pertinent part of the reply:

The Texarkana MPO adopted an alternative resolution that identified a larger study area for consideration and evaluation as the planning process for I-69 moves forward.

I did not receive any information as to the nature of the neighborhood concerns.

Grzrd

I recently looked at AHTD's ARRA page regarding two Miller County Future I-49 projects, grading project 030354 from Co. Rd 2 to Doddridge (scheduled to be completed by June 30) and grading project 030353 from the LA state line to Co. Rd. 2 (scheduled to be completed by December 31):

http://www.arkansashighways.com/ARRA/update_11222010/ARRA%2011-22-10.pdf

I emailed AHTD to see if there was a chance these two sections might be opened to traffic in coordination with Louisiana's plan to open several sections of I-49 North to traffic in 2013.  The reply indicates that AHTD intends to let a major "Structures" contract for these two sections in October, 2011 and then let a paving contract for the approximate 4.4 miles after completion of the "Structures" contract.  They did not provide a projected timetable for completion of the paving, but I suspect it will be well past 2013.

ShawnP

Well talk about the slow track for those 4.4 miles.

Henry

I have been aware of I-49 coming to Texarkana, but not an I-69 spur. Still, that's a great report.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

Construction of I-69 Spur might be accelerated in some form as a toll road:

http://sacurrent.com/news/story.asp?id=72428

Just when you thought the state's controversial practice of using public-private partnerships to build new toll roads was dead, it isn't. Like a zombie in Night of the Living Dead, they are back and stronger than ever. On the last Friday in April, with little attention from the media, the Texas House of Representatives took a giant leap forward in expanding these public-private partnerships to build toll roads – a tactic anti-toll-road advocates say is tantamount to selling off Texas' transportation infrastructure to private corporations.
That notable Friday, the Texas House took up Senate Bill 1420 – more commonly known as the TxDOT Sunset Bill – the legislation that will reauthorize the Texas Department of Transportation and guide its operations for the next several years. During the course of the debate on the bill, legislator after legislator stepped up to the microphone and added public-private toll road projects to the bill ...
Toll projects rolled into TxDOT Sunset bill ...
The Interstate Highway 69 project in Bowie County from the Sulphur River Bridge to Interstate Highway 30 (see the north-east end of the TTC-69/I-69 map - This uses very vague language, presumably because it will convert parts of the existing right of way of Hwy 59 into TTC-69/I-69 and make it a foreign-owned toll road without saying so. Hwy 59 is the new identified route for TTC-69/I-69 in northeast Texas)

Grzrd

The possibility of the legislation recently introduced by the Texas delegation allowing signage of interstate-grade sections of the I-69 corridor led me to think about the the Carthage-Texarkana I-69 Spur.  I emailed the Texarkana MPO with a few questions.

The questions :

1. Are any sections of US 59 between Carthage and Texarkana currently interstate standard?;
2. If so, is the current thinking that signs would go up shortly after passage of the legislation; and
3. Since the main route of I-69 will go from Carthage to Louisiana, has a designation been chosen for the Carthage to Texarkana segment (i.e. I-69N, I-169, I-969, etc.)?

The answers (from Brad McCaleb, Director, Texarkana MPO):

"Thank you for your interest in our transportation system.  I believe the legislation you are referring to is HB 1535 (Farenthold).   In response to your questions:

1.       Yes, the existing section of US 59/Loop 151 from the interchange with US 59B/SH 93/Lake Drive to the IH 30/US 59 interchange currently meets interstate standards and could be utilized as a portion of the IH 69 facility.

2.       It is possible.  However there will be some time lag due to the expense of the signs and production/installation time.  I really can't give you an estimate on the timeline.

3.       Not to my knowledge.

I'm guessing I-969 as the eventual designation of the I-69 Spur.  Any other guesses out there?

Grzrd

This news report has AHTD officials stating that the Doddridge to LA state line section of I-49 should be finished by 2015.  The video in the report has some aerial construction shots: http://www.ktbs.com/news/28413069/detail.html

Grzrd

I just received a couple of email updates from AHTD. The 19th Street interchange with AR 245 is expected to be completed by the end of this year, which will make AR 245 (Future I-49) interstate-grade from Doddridge to the new terrain construction near the airport.  Also, the I-49 new terrain construction projects from AR 245 to I-30 and I-30 to US 71 are still on track to be completed by mid-2013.

Grzrd

Another small step for completion of I-49 from LA state line to I-30; major structures contract for section from LA state line to Doddridge will be let on October 19.  Here is link to plans for the project:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/LETTING%20PLANS/030355.pdf

ShawnP

With it going thru Texas but no exits in Texas. How hard will it be to get Texas to fund or will it have to be 100% feds for that segment?

Anthony_JK

Actually, only a small segment of I-49 north of Texarkana to the Arkansas River will be going through Texas, so I'm guessing that it will be the usual 90 Fed/10 State formula.

If an I-x49 bypass is built west of Texarkana or the current US 59 freeway loop or the I-69 spur from Carthage is extended north to connect with I-49 before it crosses the Arkansas River, then there will be an exit after all.

Anthony

Gordon

Future I-49 interchange from I-30  south to Hwy. 245, contractor has started pouring concrete last week. It looks like about 80% of the whole project has been installed with crushed rock and the base payment. Starting to look more like an Interstate.

US71

Quote from: Anthony_JK on September 23, 2011, 03:01:11 PM
Actually, only a small segment of I-49 north of Texarkana to the Arkansas River will be going through Texas, so I'm guessing that it will be the usual 90 Fed/10 State formula.

Anthony

I think you mean the Red River? 

The Arkansas River is about 9 miles north of me ;)

Grzrd

Contract for construction of six bridges on Future I-49 from LA state line to Doddridge has been awarded (pending approval from feds) with a price tag of approximately $7 million:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/letting/October%2011%20Award%20List.pdf

THE PURPOSE OF THIS PROJECT IS TO CONSTRUCT SIX BRIDGES ON THE NEW LOCATION ALIGNMENT FOR HWY. 71 IN MILLER COUNTY NORTH OF THE LOUISIANA LINE.  THIS PROJECT CONSISTS OF A PAIR OF CONT. PRESTRESSED TYPE III CONCRETE BEAM BRIDGES (377.75'), A PAIR OF CONT. PRESTRESSED BT-72 CONCRETE GIRDER BRIDGES (285.44') AND A PAIR OF CONT. PRESTRESSED TYPE IV CONCRETE BEAM BRIDGES (402.34'), AND MISC. ITEMS.
(http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/letting/Bid_Tabs.doc) (page 3).

The two grading projects associated with this stretch of Future I-49 appear to be on track, with the section from Co. Rd. 2 to Doddridge scheduled to be completed around November 18 and the section from the Louisiana state line to Co. Rd. 2 scheduled to be completed around April 27, 2012 [page 2/9 of pdf]:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/ARRA/update_100611/ARRA%20List%20AHTD%20WEB2.pdf

Gordon

In Monday's Texarkana Gazette there were 2 articles on I-49, Making Tracks which Interstate Highway Construction thinks they will be 95% complete with the concrete paving by the end of the year. And maybe be finished with the project by the end next year. The project is from Highway 245 to 71 north. Here is the article at bchewning@texarkanagazette.com.The other article is about securing funding and getting the corridor built, kavery@texarkanagazette.com. Hope you can read the these articles, Gordon

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Gordon on November 01, 2011, 08:32:56 PM
In Monday's Texarkana Gazette there were 2 articles on I-49, Making Tracks which Interstate Highway Construction thinks they will be 95% complete with the concrete paving by the end of the year. And maybe be finished with the project by the end next year. The project is from Highway 245 to 71 north. Here is the article at bchewning@texarkanagazette.com.The other article is about securing funding and getting the corridor built, kavery@texarkanagazette.com. Hope you can read the these articles, Gordon

Your links are all email addresses, not the links to the articles themselves. Fix, please.

Anthony

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 02, 2011, 07:12:23 AM
Here are the two articles:
Interstate 49 taking shape around Texarkana
Local heads international group aimed at getting corridor built
Unfortunately you have to pay in order to view the articles.
I broke down and spent the $1.95 per article to have them emailed to me.  Points of interest to me from first article:
- Nearly 8 mile stretch from Arkansas Boulevard to US 71 is proceeding ahead of schedule and, although scheduled to completed by spring 2013, should be finished and open to traffic within a year.
- Sanderson Lane will have an interchange; Sugar Hill Road will not.
- The new bridges over I-30 serve as a nesting area for cliff swallows; under the Migratory Bird Act, no work on the bridges can be done while the cliff swallows are nesting.

The second article discusses how a Texarkansan heads the I-49 International Coalition and how that group is constantly trying to keep I-49 in the forefront of legislators' minds for whenever more money becomes available.  The article mentions $10 billion as amount for Arkansas.

EDIT

One other note from the first article:
- Part of the overall project is replacing the concrete on AR 245 from US 67 to Arkansas Boulevard.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.