News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rhode Island Switching Up Exit Numbering

Started by theroadwayone, October 12, 2017, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theroadwayone

According to the Providence Journal, via AA Roads on FB, Rhode Island will start switching from sequential exit numbering to mileage-based numbering, beginning with I-395. The project will take three years, as it joins other New England states making the switch.
http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20171004/rhode-island-set-to-renumber-all-highway-exits

roadman

Quote from: theroadwayone on October 12, 2017, 02:18:34 PM
According to the Providence Journal, via AA Roads on FB, Rhode Island will start switching from sequential exit numbering to mileage-based numbering, beginning with I-295. The project will take three years, as it joins other New England states making the switch.
http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20171004/rhode-island-set-to-renumber-all-highway-exits

FIFY.  The RIDOT exit renumbering web page is at http://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/exitnumbers/index.php
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

froggie

^^ Presuming you meant I-295 will be first, as there is no I-395 in Rhode Island.

dgolub

Quote from: froggie on October 12, 2017, 05:41:38 PM
^^ Presuming you meant I-295 will be first, as there is no I-395 in Rhode Island.

Yeah, it says 295 in the article.

Alps

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Kacie Jane

Ironically, a Google search gives "Describe Underused Abbreviations and Acronyms in Full", but I'm having trouble seeing how that fits in context.

hotdogPi

I think it's "Do Us All A Favor", back from the days of mtr.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

theroadwayone

roadman65

I know this may sound silly, but why does it take 3 years to change all the exit numbers in a state with only 3 interstates and not that much mileage?  :confused: Heck some city metro areas have more interchanges than the whole entire freeway network in a state so small that some US counties are larger than it.

Ok, I see that some other state routes are part of it, but still considering Route 295 is only 11 exits and its going to take till the end of 2018 to replace all the signs. In FL on I-4 which is way longer than the whole length of RI, took only a couple of weeks to accomplish and had about 60 or so exits almost six times the amount this interstate has.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on October 16, 2017, 10:20:21 PM
I know this may sound silly, but why does it take 3 years to change all the exit numbers in a state with only 3 interstates and not that much mileage?  :confused: Heck some city metro areas have more interchanges than the whole entire freeway network in a state so small that some US counties are larger than it.

They have more freeways than just those three Interstates.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

roadman65

Quote from: 1 on October 16, 2017, 10:22:11 PM

Did not see my edit.  Yes I read the article and unlike most states who usually do not do off interstates, RI is one of the few that do. Heck even VA left out I-395 and I-664 and still both are sequential.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

CT is doing it over 20 years.  Third smallest state in the union and they're only doing it as signing contracts are completed for an entire highway.  I-395 was the first, along with CT 2A (all 2 exits, which the mileage includes an almost 4 mile unnecessary duplex with I-395 from CT 2 at Exit 13 (former Exit 81) to where it breaks off to go to Mohegan Sun at Exit 9 (former Exit 79A).  Explaining why the exits on CT 2A are numbered 5 and 6 instead of 1 and 2 won't often make sense to the common non-roadgeek.  The next highways to integrate are the unnumbered exits of CT 349 (all 2), and CT 184 (all 1),  which are part of the I-95 contract from Groton to the RI border.  However, you won't see I-95 even consider changing until all 111 miles worth of signs are completely changed over.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

CT is doing it when the signs wear out or need replacing.  They are not doing it for the sake of renumbering them like GA, PA, FL, and some others did at the time. 

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

^ You just answered your own question on why it'll take Rhode Island 3 years.

southshore720

Do we need to have two threads on the same topic?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on October 16, 2017, 10:37:03 PM

Did not see my edit.  Yes I read the article and unlike most states who usually do not do off interstates, RI is one of the few that do. Heck even VA left out I-395 and I-664 and still both are sequential.
I-395 is debatable whether it counts as sequential or not still since every exit is right on or off by one.  Yuck to I-664 though... it's understandable with the earlier exists, but the later ones are WAY off and should be converted.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: ixnay on October 13, 2017, 05:43:14 AM
Quote from: Alps on October 12, 2017, 09:05:37 PM
R-99: I-395?
DUAAF.

What's DUAAF?

ixnay

Quote from: Kacie Jane on October 13, 2017, 08:22:45 PM
Ironically, a Google search gives "Describe Underused Abbreviations and Acronyms in Full", but I'm having trouble seeing how that fits in context.

He should have said "Interstate-395" instead of "I-395."  Alps was being ironic.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

storm2k

could this thread be merged with this one? seems silly to have two threads on this topic.

kphoger

Quote from: storm2k on October 17, 2017, 04:37:23 PM
could this thread be merged with this one? seems silly to have two threads on this topic.

See below

Quote from: NE2 on October 17, 2017, 12:53:44 PM
No. We need ten.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Quote from: froggie on October 17, 2017, 10:46:46 AM

Did I?  Where? 

Sheryl Crowe

signalman

Quote from: roadman65 on October 17, 2017, 08:54:09 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 17, 2017, 10:46:46 AM

Did I?  Where? 

I think froggie is referring to this statement:
Quote from: roadman65
CT is doing it when the signs wear out or need replacing.
If I'm correct, what he was trying to convey is that RI is taking the same approach.

froggie

Henry

Quote from: roadman65 on October 16, 2017, 10:47:31 PM
CT is doing it when the signs wear out or need replacing.  They are not doing it for the sake of renumbering them like GA, PA, FL, and some others did at the time. 
Isn't that a little confusing? To see one exit signed an old number, then suddenly the next one jump to a random higher number and the next one two numbers away from the first would be very unusual indeed.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.