News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA: U.S. 202 Doylestown—Montgomeryville parkway

Started by Alex, February 02, 2009, 12:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

PAHighways

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

PHLBOS

Video clip of the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony that took place last month:

GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

Bumped because of a reference to this in another thread a few days ago . . .

I live close enough to this new parkway that I should have gotten up there by now, but, alas, I have not.  Will the former U.S. 202 route retain any visible route number, i.e. Bus. U.S. 202 or something else?

I do not recall seeing that anywhere . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on February 17, 2013, 01:32:08 PMWill the former U.S. 202 route retain any visible route number, i.e. Bus. U.S. 202 or something else?

I do not recall seeing that anywhere . . .
As far as I know, the pre-Parkway segment of US 202 (Doylestown Road/Butler Ave.) has since been stripped of its US 202 designation.  Outside of PennDOT's SR XXXX system; that segment won't be numbered beyond that; that was the plan since the original Bypass was first proposed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mr. Matté

Acknowledging the bump

I did a trip today to clinch the 202 Parkway, but on a bicycle (westbound). The bike lanes are poorly swept especially at around intersections (maybe just leftover crud from this winter's snowfalls), the only "clean" parts of the road was going around right curves where the small median was present. I was the only idiot actually using the bike lane, a lot of others, including the roadies all kitted up with the bib shorts and drop handlebars riding at a quick speed, were using the path. I'm wondering if it was worth it to actually include bike lanes here since no basically one was using it (at least today) and anything that the road itself accesses is accessible on the path. Maybe it was just a way to help induce traffic calming on a road with an already artificially low 40-mph speed limit.

Alps

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 27, 2021, 04:36:31 PM
Acknowledging the bump

I did a trip today to clinch the 202 Parkway, but on a bicycle (westbound). The bike lanes are poorly swept especially at around intersections (maybe just leftover crud from this winter's snowfalls), the only "clean" parts of the road was going around right curves where the small median was present. I was the only idiot actually using the bike lane, a lot of others, including the roadies all kitted up with the bib shorts and drop handlebars riding at a quick speed, were using the path. I'm wondering if it was worth it to actually include bike lanes here since no basically one was using it (at least today) and anything that the road itself accesses is accessible on the path. Maybe it was just a way to help induce traffic calming on a road with an already artificially low 40-mph speed limit.
The bike lanes only make sense if the path prohibits bicycles and there's any enforcement.

Zeffy

Acknowledging the bump

Man you were in my neck of the woods today! I've never seen anyone use the bike lane in my 2 1/2 years of living here. Almost everyone is on the path. To be fair, I would be on the path as well.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Zeffy on March 27, 2021, 08:07:42 PM
Acknowledging the bump

Man you were in my neck of the woods today! I've never seen anyone use the bike lane in my 2 1/2 years of living here. Almost everyone is on the path. To be fair, I would be on the path as well.

That's road dieting for you! :rolleyes:

Yeah, the US-202 parkway is probably one of the sillier road projects in our nation.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think the formerly-proposed freeway along US 202's Segment 700 have been constructed, if the Pennsylvania DOT had stuck with that proposal?

PHLBOS

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 28, 2021, 09:23:34 PM
Does anyone think the formerly-proposed freeway along US 202's Segment 700 have been constructed, if the Pennsylvania DOT had stuck with that proposal?
If you are asking if PennDOT would've constructed the Bypass as originally-planned had then-Gov. Rendell not intervened; the answer would be yes.  IIRC, the outgoing Schweiker (originally Ridge) Administration signed off & approved of such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Chris19001

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 29, 2021, 05:13:10 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 28, 2021, 09:23:34 PM
If you are asking if PennDOT would've constructed the Bypass as originally-planned had then-Gov. Rendell not intervened; the answer would be yes.  IIRC, the outgoing Schweiker (originally Ridge) Administration signed off & approved of such.
Having lived in Montgomery Township for the first 24 years of my life, I have to say that section 700 was doomed by inaction.  During the 1980's Montgomery Township was basically pushing it against the wishes of Buckingham in section 900 land, and the costs of delay basically killed it.  I would have LOVED it to have it built as planned.  There was still a bike path portion in my township and it was grade separated from many of the cross roads.  It would have been a beautiful road, but once it ballooned into the $400M-450M territory, it just wasn't going to get built with the state's basketcase finances..  I followed it closely from the early 80's through the mid 90's, and it was one heartbreak after another for me. 
As for the current road, yes its a bit silly for the amount of money it cost.  However unlike Woodhaven Road's extension, it has something built (for better or worse). Its certainly faster than 202 was through Montgomeryville, Chalfont, and New Britain, but a real wasted opportunity to better connect the network regionally.  The seperated bike trail is also a bit strange in how many at grade crossings it has and how many times one must cross 202 at intersections to stay on the trail.  The bike lanes marked on the roadbed are just a bad idea.  I think I may have seen it used 5 times, and each time was by a large group of bikers doing a ride together.  All the couples and individual bikers used the trail.
My 2 cents.

roadman65

Bike lanes all over are not used due to fear the cyclists would be hit by a car.  Back in the day a bike lane would have been used as people drove differently then. Nowadays forget it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

Would it be possible to expand the parkway to four lanes if traffic counts warranted it in the future? I doubt any existing at-grade intersections would be given bridges or ramps.

Roadsguy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 17, 2021, 01:34:38 PM
Would it be possible to expand the parkway to four lanes if traffic counts warranted it in the future? I doubt any existing at-grade intersections would be given bridges or ramps.

I'm pretty sure PennDOT still owns all the right-of-way for the originally proposed freeway, though there are definitely some overpasses on the two-lane section that aren't long enough for four lanes plus the trail.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 17, 2021, 04:07:08 PM

I'm pretty sure PennDOT still owns all the right-of-way for the originally proposed freeway, though there are definitely some overpasses on the two-lane section that aren't long enough for four lanes plus the trail.
IMHO, the entire corridor should've been built, parkway or expressway, as a 4-laner from the get-go.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 20, 2021, 01:11:12 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on April 17, 2021, 04:07:08 PM

IMHO, the entire corridor should've been built, parkway or expressway, as a 4-laner from the get-go.

IMHO, 202 should be 4 lane limited access from at least Doylestown thru the 287 interchange in Bridgewater in NJ, but we have only gotten the small segments we did so far.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.