News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Highway Talk / Re: Highways You Have Clinched
Last post by Bruce - Today at 03:41:34 PM
Quote from: pderocco on June 13, 2024, 02:47:03 AM
Quote from: Bruce on June 10, 2024, 10:13:16 PMAs of Saturday, I have every single state route in Washington. As well as Interstates and U.S. routes, plus bannered versions of them all.

TM doesn't show me at 100% because I neglected a few national park roads (which are especially hard to clinch due to the new reservations at Mount Rainier NP and the Hurricane Ridge fire at Olympic NP).

Congratulations. That's quite an accomplishment. I expect to finish all the Washington Interstates next month, but I doubt I'll ever reach 50% on the others, since I'm from SoCal. What are some of your favorite scenic roads?

A few of mine:
SR 20, and not just the North Cascades Highway. Just about the whole route has good scenery and is off the beaten path to not be overcrowded outside of certain summer weekends.
SR 129 is a real twisty one, but was well worth saving for near-last.
SR 821 is another fun canyon route and has a few old alignments and an old tunnel that can be explored on foot.
SR 526 may not have natural scenery, but you get plenty of views of the Boeing factory. Well worth the drive even in rush hour.
SR 971 is a fun diversion on the way to Lake Chelan.
Weather / Re: What's your weather curren...
Last post by Ted$8roadFan - Today at 03:37:17 PM
Sunny and 68. Awaiting the heat that will arrive later this week.
Traffic Control / Re: Guess the speed limit chal...
Last post by ElishaGOtis - Today at 03:16:25 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on June 15, 2024, 10:00:04 PMI'm feeling 75.

YEP!! Indeed it is 75. This is Texas SH-239 near Goliad, TX

SL sign: https://maps.app.goo.gl/LxqHJSteEadFak8RA?g_st=ic

GSV image: https://maps.app.goo.gl/pR7b3SLQNU8SwmQw7?g_st=ic

Quote from: steviep24 on Today at 09:36:52 AMThere are roads like that in my area that have absurdly low speed limits. I'm going with 30.

To give y'all credit, most other places probably would put 30 to 55-ish on a road like this.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 03:12:49 PM
Quote from: brad2971Forget about the rest of Nevada for a minute, and just look at Indian Springs (in Clark County!). Due to presence of both Creech AFB and the mountains close by to the south, Indian Springs has hard-and-fast development limits. It's quite doubtful they can ever justify two exits. However, NDOT can design an exit to the immediate east of town that can serve both the town and Creech AFB while providing the Air Force a more standardized base entrance than what it has right now. And all this can be done within current US 95 right-of-way.

There is enough space within the current US-95 ROW for them to build an exit with slip ramps in front of the main gate of Creech AFB.
Mid-South / Re: I-69 in Arkansas
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 03:01:10 PM
There is no question I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis is slammed with traffic. Truck traffic is insane on that stretch.
Central States / Re: Corridor 58/Theodore Roose...
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 02:59:14 PM
Quote from: splashflashThe work on converting the road to 4 lane is well underway but not 4 lane divided, rather 4 lanes with a paved median.

That's not necessarily a deal breaker for a possible future upgrade to Interstate quality. I-44 South of Lawton looks like a 5-lane street; it just has a cable barrier installed in the concrete median.

The key things needed for any potential freeway upgrade: the main lanes need to have grading and curve geometry good enough for Interstate standards. The harder requirement: there has to be enough available space at intersections to build on/off ramps. If efforts aren't good enough at preserving ROW any future Interstate upgrade would be very difficult due to buildings and other stuff that have to be bought and removed.
Pacific Southwest / Re: 580 is unconstructed from ...
Last post by dbz77 - Today at 02:50:38 PM
Quote from: tawnuskgrevy on May 14, 2024, 12:37:22 PM
Quote from: heynow415 on May 06, 2024, 12:51:45 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 05, 2024, 04:29:03 PMThat corridor was also explored as part of the 1973 Federal Aid Highway Act.  The alignment over Echo Summit included a tunnel.

If you rummage around with SLT parcel maps, such as the GIS maps on this site: https://see-eldorado.edcgov.us/ugotnet/ , it sure looks like not only was a corridor identified and/or adopted but future right of way was acquired or otherwise reserved at one time.  There is a broken chain of parcels that have the characteristics of a future freeway, including flaring out at certain intersections for interchanges. 
For example, between the airport and Onnontioga Street there is a strip parcel that flares where Washoan Blvd. dead-ends. Another runs parallel to Barbara Avenue and northeast of that on either side of Al Tahoe Blvd is another segment that flares for what would have been another interchange.  There are then several property lines diagonal to the underlying block layout that would reflect the corridor sweeping across Pioneer Trail at Needle Peak Road, with another potential interchange at Ski Run Blvd., and then an large strip parcel that runs behind the Raley's shopping center and Heavenly Village that flares out again for another potential interchange at stateline. 
Coincidence?  Perhaps but being in the land planning business, having property lines and parcels like this is very suggestive of a planned transportation corridor, particularly in an area where property lines tend to be straight and square or follow natural features like a creek.  Zooming out a bit on the map it is easy to see how these could link together to provide that once-planned freeway corridor that would wind around more developed areas.

The Tahoe Conservancy owns a good portion of those parcels and has all their properties highlighted on a GIS map that makes the planned corridor really easy to see (especially at the northeast end); it's very neat to have this level of evidence for a planned-and-abandoned project like this:

Too bad we never had the freeway.

Imagine going through the tunnel at Echo Summit, and then reaching a four-lane freeway around the sotheast edge of the Tahoe Basib, being able to reach Stateline in only five minutes.

If that freeway had been built in the 1970's as planned, most of the developmnet would have been along the freeway corridor, away from the shoreline.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Headlines About California...
Last post by FredAkbar - Today at 02:44:39 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 02:12:19 PMWell, i'm not really sure what to say at this point. If there's anywhere else I feel I could live, it would be san francisco. But I want a row home there.

If you're annoyed by how LA treats roads, you sure as hell wouldn't like SF. I posted some gripes a while back and I'm sure it's only gotten worse since I moved away a year ago. And I didn't even mention the city's obsession with 4-way stops. There are whole neighborhoods comprised of a massive grid of 4-way stops. I get the safety benefit but having to stop at a stop sign (often with no other cars around) every block is annoying, bad for emissions, etc.
General Highway Talk / Re: Which Non-Interstates In Y...
Last post by thspfc - Today at 02:42:19 PM
Quote from: Big John on June 06, 2024, 04:53:22 PMWisconsin
US 10, 12, 14, 41, 45, 51, 53, 61, 151
WI 16, 26, 29, 64, 145, 441
Does US-61 have its own numbers anywhere? Should be on 151's in Grant County.
Sports / Re: Hockey
Last post by ET21 - Today at 02:39:14 PM
Edmonton scored all the goals they were supposed to in Games 1 and 2 in Game 4

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.