News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Dougtone on November 29, 2020, 07:04:03 PM
The Harpersfield Covered Bridge is Ohio's third longest covered bridge and is one of 19 covered bridges located within Northeast Ohio's Ashtabula County. OH 534 was routed through the covered bridge until 1962.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/11/harpersfield-covered-bridge-ohio.html

Thanks for the link
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SkyPesos

Took a picture of this at the I-71/MLK interchange a few months ago. Normally, ODOT markes freeway entrances with a BGS instead of a standalone shield, so it's weird seeing this Caltrans style sign, with the angled down arrow and direction tab below the interstate shield. Are there any more examples of this in the state, or is this just a one-off?

Buck87

The entrance to US 20 East from OH 53 in Fremont has signs like that with down angled arrows on either side of the ramp entrance. This is in addition to a BGS (the BGS lists US 20, US 6 and OH 19 which are concurrent on the Fremont bypass, while the ground level shields are just US 20)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Cleveland Ave/Oh 710 to I-270 WB, Westerville-NE Columbus

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Buck87 on December 17, 2020, 09:25:32 AM
The entrance to US 20 East from OH 53 in Fremont has signs like that with down angled arrows on either side of the ramp entrance. This is in addition to a BGS (the BGS lists US 20, US 6 and OH 19 which are concurrent on the Fremont bypass, while the ground level shields are just US 20)

US 20 @ US 6 (heading east to Sandusky) as well

SkyPesos

Now all the state needs are the "freeway entrance" signs to make the setup complete ;)
the closest we got are the blue
Ramp
Insert Road Name Here
To
W 438
type of signs

frankenroad

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 16, 2020, 11:09:07 PM
Took a picture of this at the I-71/MLK interchange a few months ago. Normally, ODOT markes freeway entrances with a BGS instead of a standalone shield, so it's weird seeing this Caltrans style sign, with the angled down arrow and direction tab below the interstate shield. Are there any more examples of this in the state, or is this just a one-off?

They are starting to be more common around Ohio.  In addition to the one in Fremont mentioned elsewhere, they are on the entrance to eastbound OH-126 (Ronald Reagan Hwy) from US-27 (Colerain Ave) in the Cincinnati suburbs.

The place that really could use them is the westbound entrance ramp to I-74 at Colerain/Beekman in Cincinnati.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

GCrites

I don't use anything on Reagan Highway as a yardstick for anything "normal" even on the sections that opened in the '90s or later though.

frankenroad

I just noticed another one, on North Bend Rd at the entrance to eastbound I-74 just west of Cincinnati.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Harvestman

Anyone missing a big ole "Keep Right" sign? Or at least part of one? Spotted in a Queensgate scrapyard back in October.

Harvestman

I'm pretty new to the state signage conventions, so please don't crucify me for this likely-dumb question:
Around the I-471 area, why is I-275 signed as "To Columbus" as opposed to "To I-71/75N"?  I suppose most through traffic from the 471 area would likely be using it as a 71 bypass as opposed to a 75 bypass, but the way it is currently signed might make first-timers think that it continues all the way to Columbus.  It's one of those little things that has bugged me for years.

I-55

Quote from: Harvestman on January 14, 2021, 11:36:19 PM
I'm pretty new to the state signage conventions, so please don't crucify me for this likely-dumb question:
Around the I-471 area, why is I-275 signed as "To Columbus" as opposed to "To I-71/75N"?  I suppose most through traffic from the 471 area would likely be using it as a 71 bypass as opposed to a 75 bypass, but the way it is currently signed might make first-timers think that it continues all the way to Columbus.  It's one of those little things that has bugged me for years.

There are a few reasons for this, some of which have been discussed on this forum so I don't expect you to have heard before.

1) Almost a universal stance around here, I-275 is not a good bypass for I-71 or I-75. It goes too far out of the way to be realistically functional for either. Most people traveling thru on 71 or 75 just take it right through downtown. It also is faster to take 471 from 275 than it is to stay on 275 all the way to 71. Now if you're going from 74 to 75, or OH-32 to I-71, then 275 is actually functional.

2) Control cities are aimed at providing a route to a destination. My wording is not the best so maybe this example will clear it up. At the north end of I-459, where it meets I-59, if you are traveling south on I-59 you'll see I-59 signed for Birmingham and I-459 signed for Montgomery and Tuscaloosa. Why? Because those are destinations, and ALDOT wants people going to those destinations to use I-459 over I-59. If you put "TO I-59 SOUTH" people might just take I-59 there because it already is I-59 south. Also, I-59 isn't a destination itself, it is a way to a destination but people aren't looking to find a way to the way to the place they're going, they just need directions to where they want to go. DOTs use control cities to influence travel routes.

3) In the case of I-275, the area of concern is much closer to the southern junction with I-71/75 than the northern junction, which is the one you are referring to (I assume). This can lead to confusion as the junction where the two are multiplexed is the southern one, and the northern ones are both 15+ miles further away and in a different state from where the sign would be. Columbus makes more sense as it is a destination and is less confusing. And again, I-471 is the faster route to I-71 and is shorter distance and time wise compared to 275.

4) The northern junction between I-75 and I-275 uses both route numbers and cities. This is likely because both Columbus and Indianapolis (the two cities on the signs) are both controls at the I-70 junction on the north side of Dayton, maybe to avoid deja vu for the motorist. Also, I-71 and I-74 are relatively close to I-75 at the northern junction, so there is less confusion as to what interchange is being referenced.

I hope I was helpful and clear in my response. I don't usually type this much in a post.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

SkyPesos

Quote from: I-55 on January 15, 2021, 12:19:58 AM
Quote from: Harvestman on January 14, 2021, 11:36:19 PM

There are a few reasons for this, some of which have been discussed on this forum so I don't expect you to have heard before.

1) Almost a universal stance around here, I-275 is not a good bypass for I-71 or I-75. It goes too far out of the way to be realistically functional for either. Most people traveling thru on 71 or 75 just take it right through downtown. It also is faster to take 471 from 275 than it is to stay on 275 all the way to 71. Now if you're going from 74 to 75, or OH-32 to I-71, then 275 is actually functional.

2) Control cities are aimed at providing a route to a destination. My wording is not the best so maybe this example will clear it up. At the north end of I-459, where it meets I-59, if you are traveling south on I-59 you'll see I-59 signed for Birmingham and I-459 signed for Montgomery and Tuscaloosa. Why? Because those are destinations, and ALDOT wants people going to those destinations to use I-459 over I-59. If you put "TO I-59 SOUTH" people might just take I-59 there because it already is I-59 south. Also, I-59 isn't a destination itself, it is a way to a destination but people aren't looking to find a way to the way to the place they're going, they just need directions to where they want to go. DOTs use control cities to influence travel routes.

3) In the case of I-275, the area of concern is much closer to the southern junction with I-71/75 than the northern junction, which is the one you are referring to (I assume). This can lead to confusion as the junction where the two are multiplexed is the southern one, and the northern ones are both 15+ miles further away and in a different state from where the sign would be. Columbus makes more sense as it is a destination and is less confusing. And again, I-471 is the faster route to I-71 and is shorter distance and time wise compared to 275.

4) The northern junction between I-75 and I-275 uses both route numbers and cities. This is likely because both Columbus and Indianapolis (the two cities on the signs) are both controls at the I-70 junction on the north side of Dayton, maybe to avoid deja vu for the motorist. Also, I-71 and I-74 are relatively close to I-75 at the northern junction, so there is less confusion as to what interchange is being referenced.

I hope I was helpful and clear in my response. I don't usually type this much in a post.
Slight correction: I-275 is not a good bypass for I-75 at all, but for I-71, there is a niche use as a bypass. I have used the east loop of I-275 when traffic on I-71 gets ugly a couple of times before.

And then for control cities on I-275. In that area you specified (I-275/I-471 interchange), imo they should've just left it blank, like with I-275 East at the I-71/I-75 interchange about 10 miles west. They could use Milford, which is a well-known suburb of Cincinnati to locals, but not so much for out of towners. "Ohio" is another option, since I-275 across the bridge has "Kentucky" as a WB control on a couple of signs, but you can reach Ohio from I-471 at that point too. Issue with Columbus has already been said: I-471 to I-71 is faster than I-275 most of the time. My personal preference is the TO [route number] as controls only, which Ohio does on their section on I-275. For example, on the I-275 interchange at I-71, the controls are "TO I-75" for I-275 West, and "TO OH 32" for I-275 East, with all the route numbers in route shields.

vtk

Most recent guidance by FHWA on destinations for circumferential highways is to simply not have them. For I-275 that would make the most sense anyway.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SkyPesos

I was able to drive around today (in not so great weather for videotaping on the road) for a bit, and got a couple of pics of a newly completed section of I-75 between MM 13-15. Not sure when it was finished (that's why I called it "new"), since last time I drove on I-75 was back in July of last year, and construction was still under full swing then.

- Shepherd Lane (Exit 13) BGS
- Glendale-Milford Rd (Exit 14) BGS
- Glendale-Milford Rd Overpass (love the design)

Also the Cincinnati area's first DDI, at Union Centre Blvd. Think it was opened back in September of last year.

- Union Centre Blvd (Exit 19) BGS. (Side note: Those Exit Only arrows looks hideous compared to what normally is used.)
- Union Centre Blvd Ramp
- Union Centre Blvd Overpass
- Union Centre Blvd Approach to I-75

I'm personally a fan of Ohio's newest BGS installs; back to Highway Gothic and with larger exit tabs. Reminds me of what Minnesota and Missouri have.

Edit: Just realized I posted this on the wrong Ohio thread  :banghead:

lepidopteran

Is anyone familiar with ODOT's weekly YouTube series, "The Loop"?  Going back to 2016, it has a lot of info about construction projects and other things road-related.

SkyPesos

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 26, 2021, 10:03:00 PM
Is anyone familiar with ODOT's weekly YouTube series, "The Loop"?  Going back to 2016, it has a lot of info about construction projects and other things road-related.
I didn't know about it before, but thanks for sharing it.

PurdueBill

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 17, 2021, 05:58:54 PM
I was able to drive around today (in not so great weather for videotaping on the road) for a bit, and got a couple of pics of a newly completed section of I-75 between MM 13-15. Not sure when it was finished (that's why I called it "new"), since last time I drove on I-75 was back in July of last year, and construction was still under full swing then.

- Shepherd Lane (Exit 13) BGS
- Glendale-Milford Rd (Exit 14) BGS
- Glendale-Milford Rd Overpass (love the design)

Also the Cincinnati area's first DDI, at Union Centre Blvd. Think it was opened back in September of last year.

- Union Centre Blvd (Exit 19) BGS. (Side note: Those Exit Only arrows looks hideous compared to what normally is used.)
- Union Centre Blvd Ramp
- Union Centre Blvd Overpass
- Union Centre Blvd Approach to I-75

I'm personally a fan of Ohio's newest BGS installs; back to Highway Gothic and with larger exit tabs. Reminds me of what Minnesota and Missouri have.

Edit: Just realized I posted this on the wrong Ohio thread  :banghead:

Interesting that the EAST and WEST do not have the larger first letter on the Exit 14 sign and Exit 14 sign.  Not a big deal though. 

Using the down arrows turned upward for an exit is not unheard of but used to be the thing to do more with demountable ones or button copy.  Most recent ODOT signs don't seem to be demountable copy so such a thing would be just a screwup if by design. 

Harvestman

Thanks for the replies regarding 275 a few posts ago.  Lots of factors that I hadn't previously considered regarding control cities and such.

Another quick question...does anyone happen to know when exactly the "Traffic Alert When Flashing" signs on 471/275 became disused? Or when they were installed in the first place? The last time I saw one active was when the NB sign near Fort Thomas on 471 was stuck on a few years ago. 

amroad17

Quote from: Harvestman on February 01, 2021, 02:46:36 AM
Thanks for the replies regarding 275 a few posts ago.  Lots of factors that I hadn't previously considered regarding control cities and such.

Another quick question...does anyone happen to know when exactly the "Traffic Alert When Flashing" signs on 471/275 became disused? Or when they were installed in the first place? The last time I saw one active was when the NB sign near Fort Thomas on 471 was stuck on a few years ago.
Since this is "close enough" to Ohio, I will give a response.  Most of the "Traffic Alert When Flashing" signs in the Cincinnati area were erected in the late 1990's, I believe to supplement the ARTIMIS program.  They were in use for about 10 years until the overhead variable message signs were installed.  Now, any of the traffic alert signs are mostly unused (no more flashing lights above the sign for some) and just stand along the freeways of the Cincinnati area.

Here is the one you mentioned...
https://goo.gl/maps/R77hvDzmXgX6FrTA6

Here is another on I-275 East west of the Taylor Mill interchange...
https://goo.gl/maps/sDdXjNYe9JkBGuJv5

Mainly, these signs have been replaced by these...
https://goo.gl/maps/9GA5GZT8VStvatbX6
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

tq-07fan

^^^^^^
There were even a couple around the Cincinnati area that said Traffic Alert When Flashing but never had any lights installed.

Jim

SkyPesos

Only one I know of with lights on in the Ohio side is at SB I-71 between the US 22 and OH 126 exits. I've never seen it flash at all; traffic alerts mostly go on the overhead electronic message boards now, along with distances to notable highways and (sometimes funny) jokes ODOT comes up with.

amroad17

^ When these signs were first installed, the lights did flash when there was a traffic issue near where the signs were installed.  These signs became obsolete when the overhead VMS's were erected.

Another topic, will Ohio DOT ever come around to adding exit numbers to US 35 between Washington CH and Gallipolis?  US 33 has recently had the ones around Athens renumbered to reflect the total mileage in the state--just wondering if US 35 will ever receive the same treatment.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Bitmapped

Quote from: amroad17 on February 17, 2021, 03:51:37 AM
^ When these signs were first installed, the lights did flash when there was a traffic issue near where the signs were installed.  These signs became obsolete when the overhead VMS's were erected.

Another topic, will Ohio DOT ever come around to adding exit numbers to US 35 between Washington CH and Gallipolis?  US 33 has recently had the ones around Athens renumbered to reflect the total mileage in the state--just wondering if US 35 will ever receive the same treatment.

Exit numbers are generally being handled as part of larger sign replacement projects. There are exit numbers on US 35 west of Washington Court House. I can't imagine a reason why they wouldn't be added east of there.

SkyPesos

Speaking of sign replacements, Ohio really have a variety of BGS styles from all the replacements they done in the past 10 years.

- Highway Gothic font with small square exit tabs. Sometimes button copy.

- Switch to Clearview on both exit number and the main BGS, kept the small exit tabs

- Larger slightly rounded corner exit tabs, both still in Clearview. This was widely installed in the middle of the last decade, at around 2014-2017.

- Full switch back to Highway Gothic, along with the larger rounded exit tabs. The most recent style, starting installation at around 2018. Easily my favorite of the styles here; looks similar to and as clean as Minnesota and Missouri's BGS.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.