News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankenroad

Quote from: westerninterloper on June 12, 2021, 11:59:54 PM
Quote from: Harvestman on June 11, 2021, 11:42:07 PM
It appears that, back when Marge Schott roamed the earth, these signs near Cincinnati's Western Hills Viaduct had some extra shields that were removed over time.  Anyone happen to know what they were?

There are similar-era signs in West Toledo, with the shields removed, where US 23, 24 and 25 converged then branched off into Michigan.

The Harrison Ave sign (a similar one is still there, BTW) would have said US-52 WEST.  Not sure exactly where the other two were located, but the routing of US-52 through Cincinnati has changed a couple of times over the last 50 years, so that could be what was covered up.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Hot Rod Hootenanny

The Ghostbuster

Any chance of a freeway conversion along US 23 from Columbus to Waldo, or a full freeway conversion (remove all at-grade intersections) of 23 between Waldo and Upper Sandusky? Maybe a 23/15 freeway conversion from Upper Sandusky to Interstate 75 near Findlay?

SkyPesos

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 24, 2021, 02:27:39 PM
Any chance of a freeway conversion along US 23 from Columbus to Waldo, or a full freeway conversion (remove all at-grade intersections) of 23 between Waldo and Upper Sandusky? Maybe a 23/15 freeway conversion from Upper Sandusky to Interstate 75 near Findlay?
I doubt US 23 between I-270 and Waldo would become a freeway. Especially the section between Columbus and Delaware, it's too developed. The best case scenario with current conditions is a spur of I-71 (doesn't have to be an interstate) from a point just north of the US 36 interchange to US 23 just north of Waldo.

westerninterloper

I'm going to guess that US 23 will be an expressway at best, not a full freeway, much like US 24 and US 30 in northern Ohio. Several segments of US 23/SR 15 between Delaware and Findlay are low traffic with at-grade crossings that are unlikely to go away anytime soon. ODOT is making some marginal improvements closer to Marion that mimic changes that InDOT is making to US 31 north of Indianapolis, another good comparison to what US 23 will eventually become.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

GCrites

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 24, 2021, 02:32:46 PM
I doubt US 23 between I-270 and Waldo would become a freeway. Especially the section between Columbus and Delaware, it's too developed. The best case scenario with current conditions is a spur of I-71 (doesn't have to be an interstate) from a point just north of the US 36 interchange to US 23 just north of Waldo.

Yeah would have had to do that in the 20th century. There are a whole lot of businesses that would close if access was limited.

frankenroad

Quote from: frankenroad on June 14, 2021, 01:32:22 PM
Quote from: westerninterloper on June 12, 2021, 11:59:54 PM
Quote from: Harvestman on June 11, 2021, 11:42:07 PM
It appears that, back when Marge Schott roamed the earth, these signs near Cincinnati's Western Hills Viaduct had some extra shields that were removed over time.  Anyone happen to know what they were?

There are similar-era signs in West Toledo, with the shields removed, where US 23, 24 and 25 converged then branched off into Michigan.

The Harrison Ave sign (a similar one is still there, BTW) would have said US-52 WEST.  Not sure exactly where the other two were located, but the routing of US-52 through Cincinnati has changed a couple of times over the last 50 years, so that could be what was covered up.

I actually drove under those signs the other day - they are still up.   I'm sure that the Harrison Ave sign originally said US-52 WEST and that the Central Parkway sign would have said US-52 EAST
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

MASTERNC

Interesting observation from a trucker who broadcasts his trips on YouTube: the new Ohio Turnpike main line toll plaza west of Toledo has an exit number tab on the BGS for the cash lanes right at the gore point.

SkyPesos

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 30, 2021, 08:10:50 PM
Interesting observation from a trucker who broadcasts his trips on YouTube: the new Ohio Turnpike main line toll plaza west of Toledo has an exit number tab on the BGS for the cash lanes right at the gore point.
Do you have a link to that video or stream?

mgk920

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 30, 2021, 08:24:56 PM

Big Rig Steve's current trip.  He went through there a couple of hours ago as of this typing.

Is the section between there and the Indiana state line going to be a freeway instead?

Mike

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: mgk920 on June 30, 2021, 08:35:01 PM

Big Rig Steve's current trip.  He went through there a couple of hours ago as of this typing.

Is the section between there and the Indiana state line going to be a freeway instead?

Mike

Yes, but there will still be a toll plaza at MM 4 (Westgate). Between MM 4 and MM 49, the toll plazas at exits 13, 25, 34, and 39 will be demolished sometime in 2023. The same thing will happen east of MM 211 to MM 239 (Eastgate) WB/PA Turnpike's Gateway Toll Plaza EB with the toll plazas at 215/216, 218, 232, and 234 will also get demolished sometime in 2023.

PurdueBill

Quote from: mgk920 on June 30, 2021, 08:35:01 PM

Mike

The apparent signs are at 1:09:14 (https://youtu.be/kFahR3-FfdI?t=4154) .

It is a good thing that the "usual" stuff in Chicago that I would drive to from NE Ohio was cancelled for the second year in a row, because the Turnpike looks miserable right now--not that it may be in better shape by a year from now.  The slowdown approaching the existing Westgate, 1 lane each way, is rotten.

SkyPesos

A photo of the OH 126 and US 22/3 roundabout project from their construction cameras online (facing north). It's starting to look like a roundabout! Also, signage choice on the bottom right is interesting, with an APL. Normally for roundabouts, I would've expected a diagrammatic.

GCrites

Isn't that smack dab in the middle of Historic Montgomery? Or was it relocated?

SkyPesos

Quote from: GCrites80s on July 02, 2021, 09:31:59 PM
A bit south of downtown Montgomery. It's in the same location as the old trumpet between those two roads. The roundabout also opens up the area east of the junction for future development.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 02, 2021, 09:41:36 PM
A bit south of downtown Montgomery. It's in the same location as the old trumpet between those two roads. The roundabout also opens up the area east of the junction for future development.

East end of Cross-County Highway, I believe.

GCrites

Oh I've got it now, I was at their north intersection since they are multiplexed for a bit. Looks like the site of the old Marge Schott Oldsmobile.

TempoNick

Pet Peeve:

Ohio always botches signs. They can't seem to keep the US and Ohio route shields straight! Do other states also botch their signs as much as Ohio does?

Two pics: U.S. 36 in Mount Vernon and in Nellie. The US 62 shield is also botched southbound going into New Albany, and I see a botched Ohio 161 shield (upgraded to U.S. 161) off of Hamilton Road. I see this a lot!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o898F3CHDz0OEi9tkcm-3tOtplsGJZ3l/view?usp=sharing

TempoNick

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 02, 2021, 02:59:53 PM
A photo of the OH 126 and US 22/3 roundabout project from their construction cameras online (facing north). It's starting to look like a roundabout! Also, signage choice on the bottom right is interesting, with an APL. Normally for roundabouts, I would've expected a diagrammatic.

Not a fan of roundabouts at busy intersections. US 33/Ohio 161 is very difficult to navigate. They should either leave the traffic lights alone or use roundabouts with traffic lights.

SkyPesos

Quote from: TempoNick on July 04, 2021, 02:28:48 AM
Pet Peeve:

Ohio always botches signs. They can't seem to keep the US and Ohio route shields straight! Do other states also botch their signs as much as Ohio does?

Two pics: U.S. 36 in Mount Vernon and in Nellie. The US 62 shield is also botched southbound going into New Albany, and I see a botched Ohio 161 shield (upgraded to U.S. 161) off of Hamilton Road. I see this a lot!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o898F3CHDz0OEi9tkcm-3tOtplsGJZ3l/view?usp=sharing
There's a reason why there's so many Ohio examples in the "US/State routes mixup"  thread.  :-D

GCrites

OH-674 magically became U.S. 674 at the U.S. 33 off-ramp in Canal Winchester.

SkyPesos

Quote from: GCrites80s on July 04, 2021, 09:43:09 PM
OH-674 magically became U.S. 674 at the U.S. 33 off-ramp in Canal Winchester.
North Carolina would appreciate that US route number there  :bigass:

SkyPesos

Quote from: TempoNick on July 04, 2021, 02:48:18 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on July 02, 2021, 02:59:53 PM

Not a fan of roundabouts at busy intersections. US 33/Ohio 161 is very difficult to navigate. They should either leave the traffic lights alone or use roundabouts with traffic lights.
Correction: original crossing between the two roads was a trumpet interchange.

As for the roundabout itself, the traffic count isn't too high, as most EB 126 traffic exits to I-71 a mile west, and traffic on Montgomery Rd is already pretty slow as it's next to the downtown area. Quoted directly from the project page:
QuoteThe purpose of the roundabout project is to improve traffic patterns at the existing interchange of US 22 (Montgomery Road) and SR 126 (Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway) and along US 22 north of the interchange.

The City of Montgomery plans to redevelop the currently vacant area with office, retail, hotel, and residential uses that will require multiple access points along US 22 north of the interchange. The project will extend downtown Montgomery to the new intersection by providing a pedestrian-friendly environment.
Considering the planned mixed use development on the currently vacant east side of the junction, I think the roundabout is appropriate.

seicer

The trumpet interchange was also "temporary" in that the cross-county freeway was never completed through Indian Hills and out toward US 50. It wasn't all that pedestrian-friendly in an area that is rapidly densifying next to downtown. They had plans years ago for developments just to the north of the interchange at the old dealership but the redevelopment of the interchange and the additional acreage sealed the deal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.