News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Just got an email from ISTHA about AET being implemented. I can post a screenshot if there are interested parties out there. I would assume the same info is on ISTHA's website illinoistollway.com

About the only difference in the email versus the statement on the website is I am recognized as an I-Pass user and nothing changes for me in the opening paragraph

Of course, since transplanting to Southern Illinois, my I-Pass transponder doesn't get a whole lot of use anymore

Revive 755

For being all AET, at least one of the plazas today still had an open self service lane - no barricades and still with a green arrow above.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 20, 2020, 10:35:05 PM
For being all AET, at least one of the plazas today still had an open self service lane - no barricades and still with a green arrow above.

If it doesn't require staffing... why not? As long as they don't have those gates operating, then it's really not a big deal keeping those lanes open.

lstone19

Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 22, 2020, 11:13:24 AM

If it doesn't require staffing... why not? As long as they don't have those gates operating, then it's really not a big deal keeping those lanes open.

I believe the goal was to eliminate potential virus transfer points. If two motorists are touching the same thing, it's a potential transfer point.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: lstone19 on March 22, 2020, 11:15:48 AM

I believe the goal was to eliminate potential virus transfer points. If two motorists are touching the same thing, it's a potential transfer point.

Point well taken. Of course they won't waive the tolls for now, but that's a whole other discussion. Just curious, are their construction projects still continuing? I haven't really heard one way or the other.

Revive 755

Quote from: lstone19 on March 22, 2020, 11:15:48 AM

But when they indicate the lane is still open with a green arrow, they may have motorists thinking they can go ahead and use the self serve machines, only to touch them and then find out they are not in service - still getting the potential virus transfer.  The non-AET lanes should at least be marked with a red X.

Joe The Dragon

they can also display an message saying keep going?

ilpt4u

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on March 22, 2020, 04:44:21 PM
Or put some type of cover on the machines, so the self service payments are non-accessible

I would assume some ramp plazas only have a self-service lane, so it is hard to close the only ramp plaza lane...

Are the ISTHA VMSs pointing out that all tolling is cashless? How about the "Welcome to the Tollway"  signs - has the Tollway covered up the "$"  option on the signage?

Maybe have the VMSs list where the nearest Jewel is to go buy an I-Pass...

Rick Powell

Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 22, 2020, 12:37:10 PM
Just curious, are their construction projects still continuing? I haven't really heard one way or the other.

We received an email late last week from the state Council of Engineering Companies that said IDOT and ISTHA are proceeding with selecting contractors and continuing work on projects already underway. That may change in the coming weeks, but as of now things are still a go.

Jericho That

I can't speak to the mainline toll plazas, but I went through the ATPM lane at Maple Avenue on I-355 to see what the message said. It was something like Machines Inoperable Systemwide. Pay Online or Use I-PASS. I did see someone still interacting with the machine at the Army Trail Road Plaza, however. :banghead:

Revive 755

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 22, 2020, 04:57:25 PM
Or put some type of cover on the machines, so the self service payments are non-accessible

I would assume some ramp plazas only have a self-service lane, so it is hard to close the only ramp plaza lane...

I think at least 75 percent of the tollway ramps (excluding the new I-Pass only ramps) have at least one cash/ATPM lane and one I-Pass lane.  One of those that comes to mind with only a self service lane is I-90 WB to IL 31 SB.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 24, 2020, 09:33:10 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on March 22, 2020, 04:57:25 PM

I think at least 75 percent of the tollway ramps (excluding the new I-Pass only ramps) have at least one cash/ATPM lane and one I-Pass lane.  One of those that comes to mind with only a self service lane is I-90 WB to IL 31 SB.
Farnsworth and IL 31/IL 56 East on I-88 in Aurora both come to mind, also.

GSV shows the ramp plazas at US 6/159th St Cloverleaf with the Tri-State/I-294 to be 2 Lane Plazas, but both lanes accepting coins in the old machines...no idea if now its one ATPM and one I-Pass Only or if both coins buckets got replaced with the self service payment machines

Joe The Dragon

I-39

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on June 19, 2020, 09:25:35 PM
https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/1b0eb96b-0c4a-e056-5f2f-1b8e06997c1f

EAST RIVERSIDE INTERCHANGE getting rid of coin / cash pay.

I have to wonder how much longer until the entire system goes cashless?

ilpt4u

Quote from: I-39 on June 20, 2020, 10:43:42 AM
https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/1b0eb96b-0c4a-e056-5f2f-1b8e06997c1f

We all know its coming

Can the Cash Lanes at the Toll Plazas then be converted to mini-Oases, with the 7-Eleven and Mobil Gas Station? Obviously not at all toll plazas - DeKalb, Marengo/Belvidere, 163rd St would be silly, with nearby full Oases. But especially Cermak or O'Hare, might be nice

That is a good idea. A small one at Dixon would be nice too.

Car traffic is now at 64% normal up from 45 in April . CDOT said neighborhood traffic is 77 percent of last year but downtown is less than half. I have no idea how CDOT measures it but Tollway is from the revenue. Transit use is way down. With us entering phase 4 in days wonder this represents a permanent large shift to work at home and online retail.Based on the Where Workers Work report most downtown jobs could go online while most manufacturing and warehouses are near the Tollway.

ilpt4u

Quote from: 3467 on June 20, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
That is a good idea. A small one at Dixon would be nice too.
Dixon has a Pseudo-Oasis, since the Dixon exit is a Free Exit with plenty of fuel and food services

hobsini2

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 20, 2020, 10:57:31 AM

We all know its coming

Can the Cash Lanes at the Toll Plazas then be converted to mini-Oases, with the 7-Eleven and Mobil Gas Station? Obviously not at all toll plazas - DeKalb, Marengo/Belvidere, 163rd St would be silly, with nearby full Oases. But especially Cermak or O'Hare, might be nice
I am curious about this concept for the cash lanes to become oases. How would it look? Where would the parking lot be? Interesting but I don't think feasible.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ilpt4u

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 21, 2020, 07:52:25 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on June 20, 2020, 10:57:31 AM

We all know its coming

I am curious about this concept for the cash lanes to become oases. How would it look? Where would the parking lot be? Interesting but I don't think feasible.
I haven't put any sketches to paper, but come on, the Skyway found a way to sneak a McDonald's in the median by the Toll Plaza, back in the day

Surely a 7-Eleven with Gas Pumps could be snuck into the now unused Cash Toll Booth Lanes

hobsini2

True. But that McDonald's on the Skyway had major issues with parking and the drive thru. Besides, they took it out so to build the plaza as 2 separate plazas to accommodate the I-Pass lanes in the center.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7348728,-87.5660558,431m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The McDonald's was east of the east plaza is now by a about 100-150 feet.
https://cdn-0.mapio.net/images-p/46065020.jpg?ezimgfmt=rs:1192x894/rscb5/ng:webp/ngcb5
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 21, 2020, 08:39:03 PM
True. But that McDonald's on the Skyway had major issues with parking and the drive thru. Besides, they took it out so to build the plaza as 2 separate plazas to accommodate the I-Pass lanes in the center.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7348728,-87.5660558,431m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The McDonald's was east of the east plaza is now by a about 100-150 feet.
https://cdn-0.mapio.net/images-p/46065020.jpg?ezimgfmt=rs:1192x894/rscb5/ng:webp/ngcb5
they should have put in high speed tolling there when the mc'd was removed.

MrManlet

https://www.illinoistollway.com/projects/tri-state/edens-spur

The Pfingsten Road bridge over I-94 has been closed as a part of the Edens Spur reconstruction project. The entire structure is being replaced and a detour is posted along Dundee Rd., Waukegan Rd., and Lake Cook Rd.

I-294 reconstruction notes.
https://www.illinoistollway.com/projects/tri-state/central-tri-state-reconstruction

Of note are the local road closures:

1. One lane in both directions on LaGrange Road is scheduled to close daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., as needed, for bridge construction.

2. Traffic on County Line Road is shifted for electrical work.

3. Beginning the week of Monday, June 22, traffic on Mannheim Road will be reduced by a single lane in both directions under I-294 as needed between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Overnight lane closures will be scheduled as needed between 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. with up to two lanes in each direction closing at a time.

4. Traffic is shifted on several ramps at the Archer Avenue Interchange through the end of the year, and lane closures on local roads will include:

• 79th Street between Oak Grove Avenue and Archer Avenue will be reduced to one lane in both directions.
  • Westbound Archer Avenue will be reduced to one lane between Oak Grove Avenue and westbound 79th Street ramp.
  • Single lane closures will be put in place on eastbound Archer Avenue at LaGrange Road and on the ramp from eastbound Archer Avenue to 79th Street.
  • Temporary daily lane closures will be scheduled as needed on southbound LaGrange Road to southbound I-294.

Notes for the BNSF rail bridge reconstruction over I-294
https://www.illinoistollway.com/projects/tri-state/bnsf-bridge

The westbound lane on Burlington Avenue between Waldo Erickson Drive and Central Avenue is scheduled to close daily from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays, and noon to 4 p.m. on Sundays through June 26., for retaining wall construction. Bi-directional traffic will be maintained with flaggers.

Construction work adjacent to parks and residential areas had begun. A temporary, 8-foot chain-link construction fencing with dark mesh has been erected to create a safe work zone while limiting sight and nuisances around the construction zone on the mainline of I-294 and along the BNSF Railway.

In Western Springs, a portion of commuter permit parking on Burlington Avenue between Central Avenue and Waldo Erickson Drive will be closed during construction. Signage is posted and overflow permit commuter parking and daily metered parking spots are available at the Western Springs Service Club (pool) lot at 1300 Hillgrove Avenue.

Portions of Veeck and Peirce Parks in Hinsdale and Spring Rock Park in Western Springs will be closed throughout the bridge project to provide for a safe work zone. Park activities will continue throughout construction.

I-294/I-57 interchange notes.
https://www.illinoistollway.com/projects/tri-state/294-57-interchange

I-294
Between 159th Street and I-57, northbound traffic is reduced from four to three lanes so construction work for the new ramp carrying northbound I-294 to northbound I-57 can begin. Traffic is scheduled to remain in this configuration through the end of the year.

I-57
Between I-294 and the CSX Railroad Bridge, shoulders are closed and traffic is shifted in both directions. Traffic is scheduled to remain in this configuration through the end of the year.

In addition, northbound lane closures are scheduled during the week of June 22 to complete temporary pavement marking and barrier wall work. During these closures, the ramps connecting northbound I-57 and 147th Street will be closed on alternating nights. No detours will be posted.
Ramps
The ramp carrying traffic from southbound I-294 to southbound I-57 is reduced to one lane. Traffic is expected to remain in this configuration into summer.

The Stearns School Road bridge over I-94 will be rebuilt in Gurnee near Gurnee Mills.
https://www.illinoistollway.com/projects/tri-state/stearns-school-road-bridge

hobsini2

Yesterday, my client, who is an road engineer working on the 294 widening told and showed me a bit of interesting news that will not be made public for almost a year about the 490 and Irving Park Rd interchange. His firm is doing this contract. Take this with a grain of salt. But evidently, part of the agreement between the Tollway and BNSF/CP was to deal with the placement of the mainline of 490 and Irving Park. The new plan has both directions of Irving Park merge in with 490 and act as a C-D lane between the South Access Rd and Taft Ave. The current light at South Access and Irving Park is going to be a roundabout. All directions will have access. But the reason for this is because of the CP widening their rail yard in Bensenville. and there is no room north of Irving Park to do it with the 10R runway right there.

It's going to look something like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/drive?state=%7B%22ids%22%3A%5B%221pNVZB1gSt9HDWW-LeV4QPmU_EFx0lcXg%22%5D%2C%22action%22%3A%22open%22%2C%22userId%22%3A%22111698626395238786332%22%7D&usp=sharing

Oh and he did say that Irving Park through this area will not have any tolls.

lstone19

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 23, 2020, 05:41:53 PM
Yesterday, my client, who is an road engineer working on the 294 widening told and showed me a bit of interesting news that will not be made public for almost a year about the 490 and Irving Park Rd interchange. His firm is doing this contract. Take this with a grain of salt. But evidently, part of the agreement between the Tollway and BNSF/CP was to deal with the placement of the mainline of 490 and Irving Park.

If he did say BNSF, I will take it with several grains of salt. The two railroads there are CP and UP. BNSF is much farther south (crosses 294 in Hinsdale).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.