News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: cjk374 on April 25, 2018, 07:23:50 AM
DOTD has been shrinking signs for the last 5 years. Distance signs on 2-lane roads are in print so small they are hard to read at 55 mph.

Someone should make a font for highway signs that is specifically designed to be legible at long distances and high speeds...  :rolleyes:
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

rel4

I noticed an overhead cantilever sign on I-10 EB at LA 49/Williams in Kenner has been taken down and replaced with a smaller sign on the pole. That cantilever sign appeared to be leaning prior to its removal. If I had to guess, all of the overhead signs that were taken down were due to structural issues that could not wait for a sign replacement project. The size of the replacement signs may have been based on the pole's load capacity, which does not appear to be sufficient for a interstate standard sign.

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on March 26, 2018, 05:56:01 PM
I've noticed this year, particularly in the New Orleans area, that there are at least 3 spots where overhead pantries and pull through signs have come down (or were never finished being installed) and been replaced with the GDOT style side post mounted guide sign. The difference however, is that the LaDOTD signage is scaled down significantly compared the original signage and is hard to read until you're up close. These have replaced pull throughs at the split from the 310 northbound to the I-10, and on the I-10 eastbound approaching Loyola Dr. There are some in each direction of the Twin Span as well where the trusses were never installed into the supports to complete the gantries. I recall seeing this in Baton Rouge as well, but I don't remember where?

Anybody know what the deal is?

jbnv

Quote from: rel4 on May 09, 2018, 10:59:29 PM
I noticed an overhead cantilever sign on I-10 EB at LA 49/Williams in Kenner has been taken down and replaced with a smaller sign on the pole. That cantilever sign appeared to be leaning prior to its removal. If I had to guess, all of the overhead signs that were taken down were due to structural issues that could not wait for a sign replacement project. The size of the replacement signs may have been based on the pole's load capacity, which does not appear to be sufficient for a interstate standard sign.

That would make sense. They could be operating on a queue of gantry replacement projects. They just finished replacing the gantries at I-12/I-55.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

brownpelican

Test pilings for the upcoming shoulder project on the Causeway Bridge will start in mid-July. Actual construction is to start in the fall.

brownpelican

Found a nice video of the construction of the Atchafalaya Swamp Bridge by the then-Louisiana Department of Highways.

Revive 755

Quote from: brownpelican on June 15, 2018, 11:35:36 PM
Test pilings for the upcoming shoulder project on the Causeway Bridge will start in mid-July. Actual construction is to start in the fall.

I take it Louisiana doesn't keep records of pile driving data from previous projects?

froggie

They may.  But also consider it's been several decades since those existing pilings were made and the lake bottom may well have changed some.  Undercurrents certainly would have been affected by the pilings for the existing bridge.

UptownRoadGeek

I noticed an overhead cantilever sign on I-10 EB at LA 49/Williams in Kenner has been taken down and replaced with a smaller sign on the pole. That cantilever sign appeared to be leaning prior to its removal. If I had to guess, all of the overhead signs that were taken down were due to structural issues that could not wait for a sign replacement project. The size of the replacement signs may have been based on the pole's load capacity, which does not appear to be sufficient for a interstate

Yeah, I noticed a few more have come down in the N.O. area. Saw them taking down one on the Carrollton overpass.

cjk374

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on July 01, 2018, 02:49:18 PM
I noticed an overhead cantilever sign on I-10 EB at LA 49/Williams in Kenner has been taken down and replaced with a smaller sign on the pole. That cantilever sign appeared to be leaning prior to its removal. If I had to guess, all of the overhead signs that were taken down were due to structural issues that could not wait for a sign replacement project. The size of the replacement signs may have been based on the pole's load capacity, which does not appear to be sufficient for a interstate

Yeah, I noticed a few more have come down in the N.O. area. Saw them taking down one on the Carrollton overpass.

Add another missing on I-20 WB in Shreveport:  exit 18D Common St/ Louisiana Ave.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

brownpelican

DOTD has asked for proposal requests from contractor finalists for the I-10/Loyola Drive interchange in Kenner, one week after proposal requests for the I-20/I-220 revamp and new road to Barksdale AFB.

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/Announcement.aspx?key=17208

brownpelican

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: brownpelican on July 08, 2018, 10:53:01 PM
DOTD has asked for proposal requests from contractor finalists for the I-10/Loyola Drive interchange in Kenner, one week after proposal requests for the I-20/I-220 revamp and new road to Barksdale AFB.

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/Announcement.aspx?key=17208

This will include the states first DDI. I’m looking forward to seeing how this thing will look under the Jefferson Parish/Kenner style of signage, stripping, and signaling. That’s assuming that DOTD doesn’t completely ignore local aesthetics as they’ve been doing with their signal replacements in Orleans Parish. It’s just atrocious.

brownpelican

I would love to be there at one of those meetings (DOTD press release).

QuoteBaton Rouge, La. - The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development will hold three public meetings to gather public input regarding the proposed improvements along I-10 from LA 415 in Port Allen to Essen Lane in Baton Rouge.

This proposed project will be partially funded with $360 million through Grant Anticipation Revenue Vehicle Bonds, also known as GARVEE Bonds, which was announced earlier this year as part of the State's Transportation Master Plan.

The meetings will be held in an open house format where attendees can ask questions and receive information regarding the widening of I-10. There will be a presentation at the start of the meeting and the same information will be provided in a taped presentation that will be shown continuously during the meeting. A continuous multi-media presentation will be shown at the meeting, as well as additional project information such as exhibits, alternative plans and an interactive exercise that will be available for the public to submit input regarding community connections and context sensitive solutions.

Representatives from DOTD and the project team will be available at the open house to answer questions and discuss issues related to the project.

The public meetings will be held at the following time and locations:

Tuesday, August 28, 2018
5:30 p.m. — 8 p.m.
McKinley Middle Magnet School
1550 Eddie Robinson Sr. Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70802

Wednesday, August 29, 2018
Addis Community Center
7520 Highway 1 South
Addis, LA 70710

Thursday, August 30, 2018
Baton Rouge Marriott
5500 Hilton Ave.
Baton Rouge, LA 70808

Should you require special assistance due to a disability to participate in this public meeting, please contact Franklin Associates by mail at the address shown below, or by telephone at 225-389-6518, at least five working days prior to the meetings.

1-10 BR: Stage 1
2148 Government St.
Baton Rouge, LA 70806

brownpelican

July 11 announcement of statewide project bids.

QuoteBATON ROUGE — The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) announced today that 22 projects around the state were let on July 11, 2018. Nineteen contractors presented bids totaling $59.4 million.

"As always, we at DOTD are doing our best with investing in our state's infrastructure,"  said DOTD Secretary Shawn D. Wilson, Ph.D. "We will continue using our current resources carefully in order to keep Louisiana's transportation system running."

The projects and their apparent low bids are as follows:

Bridge Replacement and Repair:

• Replacement of bridges along LA 12 in Calcasieu Parish: $24,239,899.10
  • Replacement of Eaves Road and Jefferson Avenue bridges in Lincoln Parish: $597,246.55
  • Replacement of Mouton Road, West Division Street, and Powell Road bridges in Jefferson Davis Parish: $2,655,186.65
  • Overlay and repairs of Corney Lake Bridge along LA 9 in Claiborne Parish: $1,191,725.26
  • Interim repairs until permanent replacement of I-10 overpass along U.S. 90 in Calcasieu Parish: $1,975,162.60
  • Repairs of I-10 overpass along LA 27 in Calcasieu Parish: $1,292,938.99
  • Electrical and mechanical repairs to vertical lift bridges on LA 14, LA 336-1, and LA 344 in Iberia and St. Martin parishes: $393,920.00

Pavement/ Overlay:

• Milling, patching, overlay, and drainage on LA 45 and LA 560-4 in Jefferson Parish: $1,271,777.00
  • Grading, patching, paving, and drainage on John Stine Road between Myrtle Springs and Foster in Calcasieu Parish: $4,750,568.97
  • Grading, patching, overlay, drainage, and traffic signalization on LA 1077 between LA 21 and U.S. 190 in St. Tammany Parish: $2,614,656.68
  • Grading, overlay, and paving Edwards Road between LA 3033 and Pine Ridge Road in Ouachita Parish: $595,749.50
  • Paving and patching LA 127 between LA 776 and 1.4 miles south of LA 460 in LaSalle Parish: $1,031,711.05
  • Grading, patching, overlay, widening, and drainage on LA 128 between Gilbert and Como in Franklin Parish: $2,184,870.05
  • Paving, patching, and overlay of LA 44 between LA 54 and St. James Parish line in St. John the Baptist Parish: $365,037.61
  • Patching, paving, overlay and drainage on LA 813-3 between U.S. 167 and Hodge in Jackson Parish: $376,628.75
  • Grading, paving, drainage, and temporary traffic signalization on Canal Boulevard between Robert E. Lee Boulevard and Amethyst Street in Orleans Parish: $4,520,571.30

Congestion Mitigation and Safety:

• Installation of turn lanes on LA 3225 at LA 623 in Rapides Parish: $1,256,484.54
  • Installation of cable barriers along I-49 in Natchitoches Parish: $5,700,646.52
  • Restriping of Choctaw Road in Lafourche Parish: $103,279.80

Other:

• Installation of sidewalks, handicapped curb ramps, lighting, and traffic signalization along Masonic Drive in Rapides Parish: $597,246.55
  • Abita Springs yard renovations in St. Tammany Parish: $868,191.89
  • Sidewalk installation in downtown Jean Lafitte in Jefferson Parish: $332,403.57
  • Construction projects are prioritized by road/bridge condition, urgency of improvements, type/volume of traffic, crash records, unforeseeable emergencies that caused damage, and several other factors.

For more information about these projects, please visit www.dotd.la.gov.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I kept reading...
QuoteGrant Anticipation Revenue Vehicle Bonds, also known as GARVEE Bonds
...as Great Anticipation Revenue Vehicle Bonds.  :pan:  :-D
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

brownpelican

The state gets a $45 million grant that will go toward the replacement of the Belle Chasse Bridge and Tunnel.

Anthony_JK

LADOTD just announced dates for public meetings on the proposed upgrade to the Loyola Avenue/I-10 interchange in New Orleans.

This is to add new direct connection ramps to the realigned access road to the soon to be constructed terminal at Louis Armstrong/New Orleans International Airport, and to improve capacity overall to Loyola Avenue.

All of the options would have direct connection flyovers from/to I-10 east to the new "Satchmo/NOLA" terminal that would use the Loyola ROW, and pass over the intersection of Loyola and Veterans Memorial Drive (the same concept used for the existing access road at Williams Boulevard).

The three options considered for the Loyola interchange are:

1) Partial cloverleaf, with SB Loyola to EB I-10 and NB Loyola/Terminal Access Rd to WB I-10 being the loop ramps

2) Upgrading the existing tight diamond interchange and adding a flyover from SB Loyola to EB I-10

3) Converting the existing Loyola interchange to a DDI (Diverging Diamond Interchange).

The project is being designed and built as a Design/Build project, and is fully funded off state funds and a GARVEE grant from the USDOT.

More info about the project, the meeting, and associated downloadable illustrations of the proposed designs can be found here:

http://wwwsp.dotd.la.gov/Inside_LaDOTD/Divisions/Engineering/Environmental/Pages/default.aspx?RootFolder=%2FInside_LaDOTD%2FDivisions%2FEngineering%2FEnvironmental%2FDocuments%2FH%2E011670%20%20I-10%20%40%20LOYOLA%20INTERCHANGE%20IMPROVEMENTS%2FPUBLIC%20MEETING%20MATERIALS&FolderCTID=0x012000C055341479DCD84E95C80E77E7755A9A&View={993143B3-FC7F-4567-86C2-C8EE52788C8D}

froggie

It may not seem like much of a park, but I can see the Federal agencies pushing Alt I because of Section 104(f) impacts.  Or LaDOTD might be told to go back to the drawing board and come up with an alternative that doesn't impact the park at all.  But I think Alt I is more likely.

brownpelican

The new terminal should be done by spring of next year. I doubt the new access road will be done in time.

brownpelican

DOTD has put a basic concept of the I-10 widening project in Baton Rouge on its web site. Based on what I'm seeing, there would be NO work done to the main span of the Wilkinson Bridge. A lane would be added in each direction except on the UPSLOPE of the Wilkinson Bridge, where I-10 would actually lose a lane until it is joined by the on-ramp from La. 1.

I-10 would be four lanes in each direction from the 10-110 split to College, five lanes from College to the 10-12 split and three lanes elsewhere. DOTD also had a concept for combining the Dalrymple/Washington interchanges and a new design for College Drive.

Drawings can be seen here:
https://i10br.com/project-info/

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: froggie on August 09, 2018, 06:47:31 AM
It may not seem like much of a park, but I can see the Federal agencies pushing Alt I because of Section 104(f) impacts.  Or LaDOTD might be told to go back to the drawing board and come up with an alternative that doesn't impact the park at all.  But I think Alt I is more likely.

Alternate I is preferred by mostly everyone at this point because it requires the least amount of ROW, even though alt L is cheaper. Most of the general concerns expressed by the the Susan Park community were in regard to the fire station relocation and permanent closures of 27th street sections. Very few, if any, people were concerned about the park itself. The second public meeting is tomorrow so I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: brownpelican on August 10, 2018, 01:36:33 AM
The new terminal should be done by spring of next year. I doubt the new access road will be done in time.

It won't, if you're referring to any portion north of Vets or connecting to
I-10.

jasonh300

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on August 15, 2018, 01:38:57 AM
Quote from: brownpelican on August 10, 2018, 01:36:33 AM

It won't, if you're referring to any portion north of Vets or connecting to
I-10.

They couldn't possibly have the foresight to furnish a road to get to the new terminal.  They'll have it open, and nobody will be there to board the planes, and they'll wonder why.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: jasonh300 on August 15, 2018, 04:08:57 PM
They couldn't possibly have the foresight to furnish a road to get to the new terminal.  They'll have it open, and nobody will be there to board the planes, and they'll wonder why.

Let’s just say that the State completely dropped the ball when it came to their portion of this project and now DOTD is making life hell for everyone involved to cover their ineptitude.

I-10/Loyola/Vets is going to be a cluster**** for a few years. That’s all I got.

bigdave

Quote from: brownpelican on June 15, 2018, 11:35:36 PM

Maybe I'm obtuse, but I'm not seeing how 6,048 feet of shoulder (in six sections) is going to make a great difference on a 23 mile long bridge.  :popcorn:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.