News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Carson City freeway (I-580/395/50) end - freeway intercharge or at-grade?

Started by MrAndy1369, March 19, 2018, 05:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrAndy1369

At the end of the Carson City Freeway (I-580/395/50), it ends into 395/50 as an at-grade intersection (https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1203902,-119.7718606,3a,75y,2.75h,81.16t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1spqqgHxLZRODseU5xDxYWIg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DpqqgHxLZRODseU5xDxYWIg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D275.14713%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656).

Are there plans to convert this to a freeway intercharge heading westbound, with ramps going NB and SB to 395 and Business 395, then the freeway ending on 50 shortly after? Having it end as an at-grade intersection instead is a bit disappointing and anti-climactic.

gonealookin

The plan all along has been to construct an SPUI with traffic from the freeway to Lake Tahoe being carried by overpass over South Carson Street/US 395 onto US 50.  That's "Phase 2B-4" of the project, which is postponed until the "mid to late 2020's" due to lack of funding.

https://www.nevadadot.com/projects-programs/road-projects/carson-city-freeway

I still think 10 years in the future is a long time ahead to say that there will definitely be an SPUI there.  Specifically I can see a desire to build a flyover ramp from southbound I-580 onto southbound US 395.  There's plenty of space to do that if future development patterns make something like that desirable.

Bobby5280

There's certainly enough space to build a SPUI. Of course those kinds of interchanges are considerably more expensive to build than a basic diamond interchange.

Parts of US-395 south of that intersection could also be upgraded into a freeway since there are ample property setbacks and room for frontage roads in most places. However a new freeway to freeway interchange at the intersection of US-50, US-395 & I-580 would probably require more space. There's an RV park on the SW corner of the intersection that could block flyover ramps. If the SPUI for that intersection is put off for several years the population and development growth in that region which could take place might force them to re-examine the situation.

mgk920

Don't forget that one of the options that is being studied WRT I-11 ('B4') would have it feeding directly into the south end of I-580.

Mike

roadfro

Quote from: gonealookin on March 19, 2018, 06:39:04 PM
The plan all along has been to construct an SPUI with traffic from the freeway to Lake Tahoe being carried by overpass over South Carson Street/US 395 onto US 50.  That's "Phase 2B-4" of the project, which is postponed until the "mid to late 2020's" due to lack of funding.

https://www.nevadadot.com/projects-programs/road-projects/carson-city-freeway

I still think 10 years in the future is a long time ahead to say that there will definitely be an SPUI there.  Specifically I can see a desire to build a flyover ramp from southbound I-580 onto southbound US 395.  There's plenty of space to do that if future development patterns make something like that desirable.

More specifically, the original plan was to construct the SPUI with the initial freeway phase 2B (this was before the project was split into sub-phases 2B-1 through 2B-4). Funding is what delayed the SPUI. Note that some of the design elements that were part of the SPUI interchange design were built with the recently-completed phase (specifically, the NB 395 to NB 580 ramp and the BGSs on Carson Street).

A 580 SB to 395 SB flyover ramp has been posited previously–possibly in connection with a prior corridor study that looked at potential improvements of US 395 south of Carson City (potential freeway). IIRC, building such a ramp would not have been considered until well into the 2020s.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.