News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NEW features

Started by rickmastfan67, March 26, 2024, 12:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2024, 01:56:45 PMI'm not seeing the "like" button feature either. And how does the "mention" feature work? Do you type an @ sign before the name?

I think it should be fully fixed for the 'special' user groups now.  Honestly thought just turning it on for 'Regular Members' would have allowed it for all the extra groups. lol.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 26, 2024, 02:04:01 PMI also noticed the age no longer appears on profiles unless you click on the actual profile.

Blame SMF for taking that away.  Can't be fixed at this time.

WhyLifeIs4

Question @rickmastfan67
How often does SMF update their software?
Cliniched every Wisconsin State highway except the entirety of WI-16

I will be in Kerryville for the Eclipse!

:bigass:

rickmastfan67

Quote from: WhyLifeIs4 on March 26, 2024, 02:08:22 PMQuestion @rickmastfan67
How often does SMF update their software?

Not that often.  2.1.4 came out in June of last year (2023), however we were running on the older 2.0.x branch till today.

WhyLifeIs4

Cliniched every Wisconsin State highway except the entirety of WI-16

I will be in Kerryville for the Eclipse!

:bigass:

hobsini2

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 26, 2024, 01:41:19 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 26, 2024, 01:28:59 PMI see the avatar options have defaulted. Is there a way to get back what was the previous avatar? I tried to update it in the profile and it did not like it.

In what way?  I'm trying to figure out what might have changed here.

There used to be an "avatar gallery" where one could pick their avatar. I did not see it.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 26, 2024, 02:12:12 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 26, 2024, 01:28:59 PMI see the avatar options have defaulted. Is there a way to get back what was the previous avatar? I tried to update it in the profile and it did not like it.

There used to be an "avatar gallery" where one could pick their avatar. I did not see it.

It's already been fixed. ;)

Hunty2022

Quote from: Hunty2022 on March 26, 2024, 02:01:20 PM@Hunty2022 (just trying to see where the notification would be located)

Didn't appear anywhere, probably because I did it to myself.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

epzik8

Quick reply...awesome.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

hobsini2

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 26, 2024, 02:12:56 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 26, 2024, 02:12:12 PM

It's already been fixed. ;)
Got it. Thanks.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

JayhawkCO

I definitely like that, when clicking the image button, instead of having to click in the middle of the brackets to paste a link (if you happen to have moved the cursor), a dialog box opens up making it much easier to use, especially on mobile.

formulanone

Search lets you pick and choose which sub-forums you'd like to search. You can also pick from results by the largest/smallest topics or the most/least-recent topics. Not sure how the "relevance" works...same as before?

Searches used to be hierarchical; searching from the main page of the forum searched everywhere, searching in a sub-forum only picked results from that section, and searching within a thread showed results just inside that particular thread. Unfortunately, the last feature is missing from this update.

Quillz

Is there a way to have a rich text editor? It seems it defaults to plain text, although maybe it's always been this way and I just haven't noticed before?

Voyager

Quote from: Quillz on March 26, 2024, 04:51:59 PMIs there a way to have a rich text editor? It seems it defaults to plain text, although maybe it's always been this way and I just haven't noticed before?

Probably intentional, rich text causes quite a few security issues on SMF.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

webny99

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 26, 2024, 02:07:28 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 26, 2024, 02:04:01 PMI also noticed the age no longer appears on profiles unless you click on the actual profile.

Blame SMF for taking that away.  Can't be fixed at this time.

That's actually good thing IMO. There was too much discussion of users' ages before.

I am also a fan of the quick edit, which I'm using to add: I liked the green background for roadgeek vibes, but prefer the new background for browsing in public or semi-public spaces, as it looks more like other forums or a generic web page, and stands out less.

I do not like the quick reply appearing at the bottom of each page for the same reason: the en masse emojis are ugly and and make it very obvious that you're on a message board.

jlam

Wow. Love the quick reply interface. However, not much of a fan of stuff like avatars not appearing. That makes it a bit tougher to identify people in threads. And it sucks that the theme has reverted to the default, though I understand that it would have to be rebuilt from scratch.

bing101

This design is nice and yes the forum had to be modernized to get the current security features and its understandable. 

LilianaUwU

Seems like the Fictional highways and Traffic Control boards aren't hidden to people who aren't logged in anymore, judging from me opening my computer just now.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

SSOWorld

Need more reactions - including
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hunty2022

Something minor I have noticed is that the "new" forum drains my phone battery faster than before. This could be (and probably is) because I still have an iPhone 8, and the battery on my phone is not very good.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Quillz

Quote from: Voyager on March 26, 2024, 05:10:09 PM
Quote from: Quillz on March 26, 2024, 04:51:59 PMIs there a way to have a rich text editor? It seems it defaults to plain text, although maybe it's always been this way and I just haven't noticed before?
Probably intentional, rich text causes quite a few security issues on SMF.
What issues? Most other forum software allows it.

JoePCool14

Dang, I was not expecting this today! But I'm pleasantly surprised. Weird to see the old theme that I've gotten used to for over a decade gone though. Hopefully we can get a BGS theme going again in the future.

I'm a big fan of the Like button though! Helps to show support for a post without needing to reply. Please don't take that away!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Sapphuby

I actually don't mind this new setup for now, if they're planning on rebuilding the old theme and adding back profile pictures. It's just weird to navigate for me, since I was so used to the old layout, which did bug out sometimes on my phone when I opened it, causing text to shrink. I'll learn it one way or another though. :nod:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.