News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: jasonh300 on January 31, 2018, 02:23:20 PM
Roadwaywiz is live in New Orleans!

Looks like he's just driving around listening to the radio. Is that really interesting to people? I've been thinking about making videos during my commute, with commentary.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jasonh300

Quote from: DeaconG on January 31, 2018, 10:45:50 PM

Wasn't he just in Ohio? He's gotta have a teleporter...

Well, of course. When you start a dash cam channel on YouTube, Google issues you an experimental teleporter so you can go from place to place without wasting time on the road. They still haven’t given me mine (they still keep flagging my videos as “not advertiser friendly”, and I keep disputing it, and winning, but I digress), that’s the only possible way Roadwaywiz could get all of the video he has. 8000+ videos.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: jasonh300 on February 04, 2018, 02:24:08 PM

Well, of course. When you start a dash cam channel on YouTube, Google issues you an experimental teleporter so you can go from place to place without wasting time on the road. They still haven't given me mine (they still keep flagging my videos as "not advertiser friendly" , and I keep disputing it, and winning, but I digress), that's the only possible way Roadwaywiz could get all of the video he has. 8000+ videos.

...And he's letting me borrow his transporter this weekend so I can travel from Ohio to Louisiana. ;-)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 05, 2018, 10:35:18 PM

Well, of course. When you start a dash cam channel on YouTube, Google issues you an experimental teleporter so you can go from place to place without wasting time on the road. They still haven't given me mine (they still keep flagging my videos as "not advertiser friendly" , and I keep disputing it, and winning, but I digress), that's the only possible way Roadwaywiz could get all of the video he has. 8000+ videos.

...And he's letting me borrow his transporter this weekend so I can travel from Ohio to Louisiana. ;-)

Always remember where you parked, it's going to come up a lot. ;)  :spin:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

DeaconG

Quote from: US71 on February 05, 2018, 11:13:20 PM

Always remember where you parked, it's going to come up a lot. ;)  :spin:

Yes, because it's a real pain to tap your key fob to signal where your car is and you left it a thousand miles away.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

jasonh300

Well, don't go to Baker, Louisiana.  Not much to see there.  We're down to the last 4 days of Mardi Gras right now in New Orleans.  Too bad the weather is going to suck in every direction, or I'd be driving away right now.

jasonh300

Quote from: jbnv on February 01, 2018, 08:49:47 PM
Looks like he's just driving around listening to the radio. Is that really interesting to people? I've been thinking about making videos during my commute, with commentary.

I tried that, but YouTube took it down because of all the cursing.  Have to do the commentary later in a voiceover when my blood pressure is lower.

UptownRoadGeek

I've noticed this year, particularly in the New Orleans area, that there are at least 3 spots where overhead pantries and pull through signs have come down (or were never finished being installed) and been replaced with the GDOT style side post mounted guide sign. The difference however, is that the LaDOTD signage is scaled down significantly compared the original signage and is hard to read until you're up close. These have replaced pull throughs at the split from the 310 northbound to the I-10, and on the I-10 eastbound approaching Loyola Dr. There are some in each direction of the Twin Span as well where the trusses were never installed into the supports to complete the gantries. I recall seeing this in Baton Rouge as well, but I don't remember where?

Anybody know what the deal is?

cjk374

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on March 26, 2018, 05:56:01 PM
I've noticed this year, particularly in the New Orleans area, that there are at least 3 spots where overhead pantries and pull through signs have come down (or were never finished being installed) and been replaced with the GDOT style side post mounted guide sign. The difference however, is that the LaDOTD signage is scaled down significantly compared the original signage and is hard to read until you're up close. These have replaced pull throughs at the split from the 310 northbound to the I-10, and on the I-10 eastbound approaching Loyola Dr. There are some in each direction of the Twin Span as well where the trusses were never installed into the supports to complete the gantries. I recall seeing this in Baton Rouge as well, but I don't remember where.

Wild guess only...hurricane strength integrity?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jbnv

I-10 West just before the 110 split. The two signs for I-10 west to Lafayette and I-110 north are posted that way.

I-10 Westbound approaching I-110 2 by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

There's also one on I-10 eastbound near Iota, for the US 165 Kinder/Alexandria exit.

Looks to me like a cheap replacement job. The signs in this style are hideous--definite candidates for worst of signs.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Roadsguy

At least they're not Clearview anymore. :pan:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jbnv

The Clearview signs were much more beautiful. These are hideous.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 27, 2018, 08:29:55 AM
At least they're not Clearview anymore. :pan:

Ha. Some of them actually are.

brownpelican

I've noticed this year, particularly in the New Orleans area, that there are at least 3 spots where overhead pantries and pull through signs have come down (or were never finished being installed) and been replaced with the GDOT style side post mounted guide sign. The difference however, is that the LaDOTD signage is scaled down significantly compared the original signage and is hard to read until you're up close. These have replaced pull throughs at the split from the 310 northbound to the I-10, and on the I-10 eastbound approaching Loyola Dr. There are some in each direction of the Twin Span as well where the trusses were never installed into the supports to complete the gantries. I recall seeing this in Baton Rouge as well, but I don't remember where?

There were overhead gantries eastbound at the hump.

brownpelican

DOTD's looking for design/build proposals for the new I-10/Loyola and I-20/I-220 interchanges.

Brian556

This might be due to hurricanes or dump truck beds tearing down the gantries.

jbnv

Quote from: Brian556 on March 28, 2018, 12:50:29 AM
This might be due to hurricanes or dump truck beds tearing down the gantries.

Maybe the Irish Bayou one(*), but definitely not the ones at I-110 in Baton Rouge.

* I just noticed that the Irish Bayou sign is in Clearview. All of  the other ones that I've seen (I-10 at I-110, I-10 at LA 49, I-10 at US 165) are in FHWA.

It's possible that DOTD is working on replacing the gantries for these signs but hasn't gotten to them yet. They're well into a major sign/gantry project at the I-12/55 cloverleaf in which all of the old trapezoidal gantries are being replaced. I'd be surprised if these signs are permanent installations--oh wait, this is Louisiana, no I'm not.  :pan:

jasonh300

The signs on the Twin Spans were changed out prior to August of 2016 when this pic was taken.  Streetview shows the old gantry there in June of 2015, and the new sign in July of 2016.  Some time between June of 2011 and June of 2015, the mythical town of Lakeshore was added to the old gantry sign.

And this one is in Clearview.  Louisiana released a bunch of new signs right before the ban on Clearview.

jbnv

Why the heck are they taking out gantries on the Twin Spans? They rebuilt the Twin Spans less than 10 years ago. I can't imagine they needed replacement that soon.

Bobby5280

I was under the impression the previous overhead signs were damaged by storms and that these tiny, stupid looking signs are cheap, hopefully temporary replacements.

sparker

Wow.....those signs are tiny!  I need to squint just sitting here at my desk; can't imagine someone trying to read the text at 70-75.  Now, I can understand the financial issues involved in reconstructing the gantries (likely toppled or bent during a severe storm), but these replacements just don't cut it for longer-term service.  And to attempt an inside-shoulder APL substitute  -- and a particularly poor one at that -- goes beyond the pale.  Even if LADOT has to emulate CA's insistence on 120" height for less wind resistance (and this would be a good place to revisit the slatted-surface concept), get those gantries back up as soon as possible!

cjk374

DOTD has been shrinking signs for the last 5 years. Distance signs on 2-lane roads are in print so small they are hard to read at 55 mph.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

adventurernumber1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought those signs were way too tiny!!  :wow:  :-o  :crazy:

I think a sign with a size like this (regarding a sign on a one post on the side) is more along the lines of what they should have been looking for.  :-D

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.