News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Fastest Fast Food

Started by webny99, April 02, 2018, 10:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Brandon on April 03, 2018, 09:29:29 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2018, 02:36:33 PM
Some restaurants may choose to focus more on order accuracy than speed of service. Bad order accuracy usually causes more problems than bad SOS, so it's a logical sacrifice to make.

I'd rather have it right than super speedy (and sitting out on a shelf half the damn day).

Exactly most customers' point of view–forget to take pickles off a sandwich, and the person might call up and complain, and then you have to comp them a sandwich. Forget an entire sandwich, yeah, you're definitely going to hear back.

If the wait is six minutes the customer will probably forget by the time they make it to their driveway.

There are exceptions, of course. I have 30 minutes for lunch at work, and I've had to politely inform the manager that I'll either need my food immediately or my money back, because if it takes too much longer I won't have any time left to actually eat the food before I go back to work.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SP Cook

I find most fast food places to be, well, reasonably fast.  Among the slower places around here:

McDonald's, especially at breakfast.  McDonald's made a move on the hipster coffee Starbucks market and otherwise over-expanded its menu, which leads to long waits as complex coffee based drinks are made. 

KFC.  The KFC outlets around here seem to hire people with limitations that would prevent work elsewhere.  Slow and disorganized.

Captain D's.  The food has to be made to order by its nature, and you know that going in.

Bojangles.  Again similar to KFC.  Slow and disorganized.  Many limited employees. 

abefroman329

Popeye's is one of the faster fried chicken outlets...again, provided they're not out of chicken.

The slowest is Harold's Chicken Shack.  I think I once waited an hour for my order, although that was in the middle of the lunch rush at their Loop location.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 04, 2018, 01:35:06 AM
There are exceptions, of course. I have 30 minutes for lunch at work, and I've had to politely inform the manager that I'll either need my food immediately or my money back, because if it takes too much longer I won't have any time left to actually eat the food before I go back to work.

I used to run into that problem, but fortunately, I get the option of taking an hour now, which I exploit when I decide to buy lunch.
Most people here with half an hour lunch will use all 30 minutes getting their food and then eat it on the job. But (from another post of yours) it doesn't sound like you have that option.

kkt

Fast: premade sandwich from the deli counter at Safeway.  Fast, but been sitting there for a long time.

sparker

Fastest around here is Jack in the Box; but about the only thing I order from them is a few orders of their (presently) $1.19/2 taco item (one of my guiltiest pleasures!).  Usually use the drive-through; even when I'm the only car in line, it takes usually less than 2 minutes waiting at the window (maybe 50 yards from the ordering location) before I've got a bag of tacos and a couple dozen packets of hot sauce (they pass them out by the fistful!).  Generally the process is 3-4 minutes total; a bit longer when there are cars in front of me. 

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on April 04, 2018, 01:40:25 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 04, 2018, 01:35:06 AM

I used to run into that problem, but fortunately, I get the option of taking an hour now, which I exploit when I decide to buy lunch.
Most people here with half an hour lunch will use all 30 minutes getting their food and then eat it on the job. But (from another post of yours) it doesn't sound like you have that option.

Absolutely not–for a while there I wasn't allowed to have tape at my workstation, much less a cheeseburger!

It wouldn't be much of a good idea even if it were allowed, since my job is nothing but handling cash, so it wouldn't be sanitary to try to eat while working.

Jardine

Locally, Dairy Queen I would say is glacial, and that is for an ice cream order of some kind, I'd never have enough time for a burger or something.

Arbies is slow, even for a shake at 3 in the afternoon.  I know their fish sandwiches aren't cooked till you order one, and that's fine, I LOVE 'em and they're worth the wait.

I actually think going into Subway is worthwhile, not that much longer and always an excellent sub.

As for our local McDonalds (drive thru only, never go in) they're faster than Arbies, but for reasons I cannot fathom, are cursed with the inability to chuck out even an easy order with out a mistake of some kind.  Recently had a Rolo McFlurry sans the caramel sauce, time before paid with a 20, received change for a 10, time before vanilla shake cup was barely 1/2 full.  Have heard from friends their recent double order station drive thru frequently results in wrong car getting wrong order.  Hasn't happened to me yet.  Same franchisee owns another McDonalds outlet about 10 miles further away and any time I've been to that one they've been fast enough and haven't mangled the order.  No idea how that happens . . .

english si

Quote from: SP Cook on April 04, 2018, 10:38:15 AMMcDonald's made a move on the hipster coffee Starbucks market and otherwise over-expanded its menu, which leads to long waits as complex coffee based drinks are made.
In the UK, it's ad campaigns are about it not being like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kra1eWAiKvE

The again, they still have 8 options for hot coffee: https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/menu/mccafe.html

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 04, 2018, 11:04:32 PM
Absolutely not–for a while there I wasn't allowed to have tape at my workstation, much less a cheeseburger!

It wouldn't be much of a good idea even if it were allowed, since my job is nothing but handling cash, so it wouldn't be sanitary to try to eat while working.

Funny, because we have to use tape  :-D

Eating on the job may not be ideal no matter the specifics of your job... but sanitation isn't probably as high on the priority list for most people around here.

Quote from: Jardine on April 05, 2018, 12:10:12 AM
Arbies is slow, even for a shake at 3 in the afternoon.  I know their fish sandwiches aren't cooked till you order one, and that's fine, I LOVE 'em and they're worth the wait.

Totally agree... I actually like Arby's, but they're typically very slow even at the best of times.
Also, I enjoyed your hilarious spelling of it  ;-)

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: jakeroot on April 03, 2018, 04:26:59 AM
The slowest place is definitely Five Guys, although you could argue they aren't fast food.

They aren't fast food, and I don't know of anyone around here who considers them to be fast food. I think the lack of table service gives people the illusion of fast food, but there's simply no comparison between Five Guys and a precooked Wendys/McDonalds/BK burger.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on April 05, 2018, 04:40:35 PM
The slowest place is definitely Five Guys, although you could argue they aren't fast food.

They aren't fast food, and I don't know of anyone around here who considers them to be fast food. I think the lack of table service gives people the illusion of fast food, but there's simply no comparison between Five Guys and a precooked Wendys/McDonalds/BK burger.

That's true. I think similarly of places like Subway and Panera Bread (they aren't formal sit-down restaurants, but they don't have everything a typical fast food place has such as drive-thrus). These places fall somewhere in between formal sit-down restaurants and fast food restaurants, but I'm not sure of the terminology of what we call them. And actually (while off-topic), interestingly, in my town (Dalton, GA), the Five Guys and Panera Bread here share the same building (which is off of GA SR 52 a little ways from I-75's Exit 333).
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 05, 2018, 04:54:55 PM
That's true. I think similarly of places like Subway and Panera Bread (they aren't formal sit-down restaurants, but they don't have everything a typical fast food place has such as drive-thrus). These places fall somewhere in between formal sit-down restaurants and fast food restaurants, but I'm not sure of the terminology of what we call them. And actually (while off-topic), interestingly, in my town (Dalton, GA), the Five Guys and Panera Bread here share the same building (which is off of GA SR 52 a little ways from I-75's Exit 333).

Places like Five Guys, Chipotle, Panera, etc are considered "fast casual" restaurants.

Jordanes

Jimmy John's has your sandwich done before you finish ordering it.  :bigass:
Clinched 2di:
4, 5, 12, 16, 22, 24, 26, 35, 39, 40, 44, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 70, 72, 73, 74 (both), 75, 76 (both), 78, 79, 81, 82, 83, 84 (both), 85, 86 (both), 87, 88 (both), 89, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99

Almost clinched (less than 100 miles):
20, 30, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 71, 77, 80, 90, 91

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on April 05, 2018, 04:16:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 04, 2018, 11:04:32 PM

Funny, because we have to use tape  :-D

The implication was that we could tape $100 bills to ourselves and sneak them out.

Likewise, the reason why a cheeseburger would not be allowed would be because we could put a $100 bill under the bun and sneak it out.

Staples are not allowed, but for a much more boring reason–they annoy the accounting department.

abefroman329

Quote from: Jordanes on April 05, 2018, 06:09:32 PM

Unfortunately it's a bland, boring sandwich made by a company whose founder gets his jollies shooting rhinos.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 06, 2018, 10:00:31 AM

Unfortunately it's a bland, boring sandwich made by a company whose founder gets his jollies shooting rhinos.

And overpriced for what you get. I tried them several years ago and was unimpressed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2018, 11:23:33 AM

And overpriced for what you get. I tried them several years ago and was unimpressed.

Same here.  My biggest problem is they have one type of cheese: Provolone.  Why do they limit themselves to that? 

jwolfer

Fastest fast food consistently is chick-fil-a. And employees are usually very nice. I do get annoyed with the "my pleasure" required response to thank you.

Slowest is Krystal by far

Z981

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 06, 2018, 11:34:54 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2018, 11:23:33 AM

Same here.  My biggest problem is they have one type of cheese: Provolone.  Why do they limit themselves to that?

I'm almost positive that Subway only had white American* cheese when they first opened.  They're doing just fine.

*No need to tell me that American cheese is white in its natural state and they have to dye it yellow; therefore, it's improper to call it "white American cheese" and "American cheese" when it should be "American cheese" and "yellow American cheese."  I've already been told that.

SP Cook

OT:  I really dislike the preachy-ness of Subway and Panera.  Subway, like most any place, has a few "lighter" options, but the majority of its menu is filled with white bread, oils, cheese, and heavy dressings.  That is fine, but shut up with all the lose weight crap.  Panera, which plies the "natural means good" fraud tells me that is food is "clean" (despite the vastly greater likelihood that its food is contaminated over properly processed and treated food) and implies that other food is somehow "dirty".  All food has been regulated and thus, in the absence of a mistake, "clean" since the Roosevelt administration.  The Teddy Roosevelt administration. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 06, 2018, 12:59:53 PM
I'm almost positive that Subway only had white American* cheese when they first opened.  They're doing just fine.

Jimmie Johns didn't just open.

And for what it's worth, both chains exist and do well in areas where there's no great delis.  Both of them thrive in areas where there's no decent alternative.

hbelkins

Quote from: jwolfer on April 06, 2018, 12:30:28 PM
Fastest fast food consistently is chick-fil-a. And employees are usually very nice. I do get annoyed with the "my pleasure" required response to thank you.

They may have done away with that. I had Chick-Fil-A Tuesday night, and there was no "my pleasure" to be heard. And I was waiting for  and expecting it.

I did hear it somewhere else recently. I think possibly at a Zaxby's.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Do I ever miss Zaxby's.  They opened a Raisin' Cane's in my neighborhood, but it's just not the same.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 05, 2018, 05:25:11 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 05, 2018, 04:54:55 PM

Places like Five Guys, Chipotle, Panera, etc are considered "fast casual" restaurants.

Oh okay. I recognize that term now, but for some reason it had disappeared from my memory until you said that.  :-D

Thanks for the information!  :nod:  :thumbsup:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.