Anyone Brave enough to swing around in a circle suspended 400 feet up?

Started by roadman65, June 13, 2018, 06:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

http://www.starflyer.com/
http://orlandostarflyer.com/ The tallest starflyer is open in Orlando, FL next to the Orlando Eye. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kkt

I've been on smaller versions of the same ride.  It doesn't really matter whether it's up 40 feet or 400, you're just as dead if it breaks.

roadman65

Quote from: kkt on June 13, 2018, 06:40:24 PM
I've been on smaller versions of the same ride.  It doesn't really matter whether it's up 40 feet or 400, you're just as dead if it breaks.

The jury is still out on that one for me.  Even though its the same whether its 40 or even 500 feet, still the higher up is still more scary.  The Orlando Eye I will do as it is not only enclosed, but attached more to the main frame.
Though the view must be good from up there though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

The wonky looking website really raises a lot of questions in my mind about the quality of said ride.  The old carnival versions were essentially a death trap if it was poor quality or improperly maintained. 

abefroman329

That's a hard pass.  Just like that thing at the Stratosphere that threatens to tip you over the edge, or whatever it was they want to put at the top of the Standard Oil Building.

Rothman

Have to say just riding the one at Six Flags New England made me nervous.  Hard to shake the feeling that you could go flying off if something breaks, as irrational as that may be.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 13, 2018, 07:38:47 PM
The wonky looking website really raises a lot of questions in my mind about the quality of said ride.  The old carnival versions were essentially a death trap if it was poor quality or improperly maintained. 

Going to suggest there's probably some redundancy built-in if a chain or eyelet breaks/fatigues, but how does one signal "there's a problem up here"?

Sure, why not take a circular trip? I'd do it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on June 14, 2018, 12:04:20 PM

Going to suggest there's probably some redundancy built-in if a chain or eyelet breaks/fatigues, but how does one signal "there's a problem up here"?

That and the Orlando Eye might be he only reason (maybe highway albums too)I ever set foot back in Orlando.  It was an okay city when I lived there but there was only so much interesting to do before that well ran dry which I suppose is to be expected with the tourism industry.  I would like to do an original routing of FL 50 for the site sometime though, maybe that swing can be a side trip. 

That said, I did have a pretty cool running route through downtown and Lake Eola which used a lot brick city streets.  The segment of FL 15 south of Colonial was part of the route.  I did like the ease of access to secluded parts of the state like the Kissimmee River watershed, St Johns River watershed and Ocala National Forest. 

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 14, 2018, 03:57:42 PM

That and the Orlando Eye might be he only reason (maybe highway albums too)I ever set foot back in Orlando.  It was an okay city when I lived there but there was only so much interesting to do before that well ran dry which I suppose is to be expected with the tourism industry.  I would like to do an original routing of FL 50 for the site sometime though, maybe that swing can be a side trip. 

That said, I did have a pretty cool running route through downtown and Lake Eola which used a lot brick city streets.  The segment of FL 15 south of Colonial was part of the route.  I did like the ease of access to secluded parts of the state like the Kissimmee River watershed, St Johns River watershed and Ocala National Forest.

I think it was probably a lot more interesting before the Mouse and, later, Universal killed off the tourism that had nothing to do with them.  But honestly, I've been to Disney World as a teenager, and Universal as an adult, and enjoyed them both.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 14, 2018, 04:47:32 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 14, 2018, 03:57:42 PM

I think it was probably a lot more interesting before the Mouse and, later, Universal killed off the tourism that had nothing to do with them.  But honestly, I've been to Disney World as a teenager, and Universal as an adult, and enjoyed them both.

Surprisingly if you know where to look there is some interesting ruins of long forgotten tourist destinations in the Orlando Area which are interesting. 

Its not that I didn't enjoy any of those parks, its just as an adult with no kids I don't think that I can get much out of them unless I tag along with family or friends.  To that end that's what Orlando really lacks, quality attractions for the average adult with no children to enjoy.  Granted I know from experience working in Las Vegas that stuff like that gets old fast all the same.  That said Vegas has a lot more variation of outdoor activity in the Mojave Desert and nearby Colorado Plateau.  Unless you're really into tracking down old rail road beds and ghost towns in the swamp there isn't much around Orlando for outdoor activity.  The ocean and gulf are about an equal distance away in either direction, none is "close" with the brutal traffic on the I-4 corridor.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.