News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roadgeeks in the Stock Market

Started by US71, July 25, 2018, 08:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Just for fun:

What stocks would you invest in as a Roadgeek? Fast food? Road construction companies?

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

oscar

Just a hypothetical question for me. I only invest in broad-based mutual funds, to put my investments on auto-pilot, and spend more time on the road and less tending to my portfolio.

Part of that is that, when I was working, I had really good access to inside information. That made it dangerous for me to play with individual stocks, since if I made a particularly clever play the SEC would be on me in a nano-second. Now I don't have such access, but I never learned how to play the market, and it's a bit late for me to start.

My guess is many construction companies are closely-held, with no publicly-traded stock, so it's probably hard to make bets on that sector. That's true for some fast-food companies too.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

HazMatt

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Duke87

Incidentally, I used to own some stock in Caterpillar. Have since sold it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

sparker

Quote from: Duke87 on July 26, 2018, 10:59:27 PM
Incidentally, I used to own some stock in Caterpillar. Have since sold it.

Caterpillar's stock dropped quite a bit a couple of years ago when they purchased EMD, the former GM-owned locomotive manufacturer; since then, it's come back and actually is doing quite well, as the division is now making headway in the growing field of commuter-specific power (which it abandoned back in 2001-02) that for several years has been owned by MPI of Boise, Idaho (although they bought their actual engines from EMD).  Because the classic Winton-based EMD engines (called "prime movers" in the industry) were 2-cycle, and difficult to modify to satisfy increasingly stringent emissions standards, Caterpillar is developing a 4-cycle prime mover that purportedly will meet "tier" standards for at least the next decade (EMD's previous efforts in that direction didn't meet with success).  So far, the corporate combination seems to be a good match.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.