I-95/PA Turnpike Golden Spike Meet - September 2018

Started by briantroutman, July 23, 2018, 03:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 21, 2018, 12:19:29 PM
Cross-posting from the Interchange topic thread; according to this article, the interchange is slated to be open on Sept. 24.

Quote from: Bloomberg ArticleThe Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, which oversees the I-95 Interchange Project, said the new infrastructure—which includes the creation of flyover ramps, toll plaza facilities, environmental mitigation sites, intersections, six overhead bridges, widened highways and new connections to the New Jersey and Pennsylvania turnpikes—will be open to the public by Sept. 24.

I like how they used the PA Turnpike's image of the full interchange, rather than an actual image which only has a quarter of the ramps completed.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

tckma

Just saw the link to this on the AARoads Facebook page.  Since I'm currently on assignment in K of P, I'll be in the area anyway, so I'll likely take advantage of flex time at work.

Could you please provide a better landmark / GPS / Waze destination for the meet location?  The Google Calendar event created from the EventBrite invitation has the location correct, but clicking on the location shows the Bensalem interchange (#351).  I assume we can't park our cars on the highway. :D  Would this be the 5 Hilton Drive address shown as the project office on http://www.paturnpikei95.com ?

cl94

Unless my stuff that Friday is canceled, I am unfortunately out. I can't justify heading down there twice in a week, being as I'll be down that way the following weekend.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

briantroutman

I just sent out an email update to everyone who has registered. So far, we're up to 17 people registered and planning to attend (not including me). If we get a few more registrations and most of the registered people show up, this should be a pretty decent turnout. My contact at the PTC would like to have a reasonably accurate headcount by the Monday prior to the meet (10 Sept.), so if you're currently on the fence and think you'll be able to make it, please register by then.

As mentioned previously, it seems almost traditional to start a meet with lunch, conversation, and map trading, so I was planning to do the same. The field office is right beside the interchange itself (2605 Durham Road), and to make the best use of our time, it might be best to try to meet at a restaurant very close to the office.

One location that looks promising is the Golden Eagle Diner at the intersection of US 13 and Bath Street. This diner has rooms for meetings and events, so it might be possible to get our own space out of the way of other customers. And it should be no more than a ten minute drive to the project office. But I'm certainly open to any other suggestions or ideas you might have.

Regarding a timeline: I had planned on getting to whatever restaurant we choose before noon, and then I assume people will likely be arriving between roughly noon and 1. If we begin to clear out of the restaurant by 1:30, that should allow us to pay our checks, migrate over to the office, and be in place and ready to start with the PTC at 2 p.m. Of course anyone coming from a longer distance or pressed for time could just meet us at the field office at 2. Does that schedule sound reasonable to all of you?

We still have to firm up the after-PTC plan (drive the "new"  I-295, dinner–possibly near Princeton/Lawrence Twp. area?), but let's hash out the lunch restaurant choice and start time first.

JimmyI395

Quote from: briantroutman on August 21, 2018, 06:54:41 PM
I just sent out an email update to everyone who has registered. So far, we're up to 17 people registered and planning to attend (not including me). If we get a few more registrations and most of the registered people show up, this should be a pretty decent turnout. My contact at the PTC would like to have a reasonably accurate headcount by the Monday prior to the meet (10 Sept.), so if you're currently on the fence and think you'll be able to make it, please register by then.

As mentioned previously, it seems almost traditional to start a meet with lunch, conversation, and map trading, so I was planning to do the same. The field office is right beside the interchange itself (2605 Durham Road), and to make the best use of our time, it might be best to try to meet at a restaurant very close to the office.

One location that looks promising is the Golden Eagle Diner at the intersection of US 13 and Bath Street. This diner has rooms for meetings and events, so it might be possible to get our own space out of the way of other customers. And it should be no more than a ten minute drive to the project office. But I'm certainly open to any other suggestions or ideas you might have.

Regarding a timeline: I had planned on getting to whatever restaurant we choose before noon, and then I assume people will likely be arriving between roughly noon and 1. If we begin to clear out of the restaurant by 1:30, that should allow us to pay our checks, migrate over to the office, and be in place and ready to start with the PTC at 2 p.m. Of course anyone coming from a longer distance or pressed for time could just meet us at the field office at 2. Does that schedule sound reasonable to all of you?

We still have to firm up the after-PTC plan (drive the "new"  I-295, dinner–possibly near Princeton/Lawrence Twp. area?), but let's hash out the lunch restaurant choice and start time first.

Brian just got your email. The diner that you mention sounds like a great idea. Hope everybody else agrees. The timeline that you presented looks good to me too. This is my first road meet and Looking forward in meeting everybody.

iPhone

Alps

2 PM will definitely help me make it, and the dinner is a nice touch. I just won't know until I see what work has going on that week.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

If you need something to kill time, we can always go 'Lincolning' betweeen NE Philly Airport and Trenton.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Roadsguy

I'd suggest dinner at a place with good cheesesteaks, but I don't know how many nearby would support all the people.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

dgolub

Is anyone else planning to stay overnight for this one?  It would be borderline day-trippable for me if it was a weekend, but during the week there will be rush-hour traffic getting between LI and NJ, so I'll probably stay over the two nights.

Alps

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 22, 2018, 11:31:25 AM
I'd suggest dinner at a place with good cheesesteaks, but I don't know how many nearby would support all the people.
Another option is Trenton pie - a local exclusive type of pizza.

Alps

Quote from: dgolub on August 22, 2018, 06:05:35 PM
Is anyone else planning to stay overnight for this one?  It would be borderline day-trippable for me if it was a weekend, but during the week there will be rush-hour traffic getting between LI and NJ, so I'll probably stay over the two nights.
You shouldn't have to worry about getting there - leave around 9:30. As for getting back, if you stay for dinner, you should avoid most of the return traffic.

Compulov

I'm a late joiner to this (life's been busy but I'm going to make time for this meet). I'm flexible on the meetup location and stuff afterwards (though may have to bail on dinner afterwards). I saw the Golden Eagle mentioned as a suggested meet point and as someone who used to live in Bristol, I think it's a great choice. I've been happy with the meals I've had there in the past, and being a diner, there's a little bit of everything available on the menu. As a bonus, it's also located on the recently reconstructed section of Bristol Pike (with newer median and wider shoulders -- along with the road diet section north of the Turnpike).

hbelkins

As if there was any possibility that I might attend, that got erased when my travel day (the 12th) became occupied with jury duty for me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Cannot make it, much though I would love to. 

Have a must-attend meeting at work that will run all afternoon on the 13th.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on August 30, 2018, 01:21:06 PM
As if there was any possibility that I might attend, that got erased when my travel day (the 12th) became occupied with jury duty for me.

Do you already know your going to Jury Duty? Up here, we call the night before to see if we have to go in.

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 30, 2018, 02:52:26 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 30, 2018, 01:21:06 PM

Do you already know your going to Jury Duty? Up here, we call the night before to see if we have to go in.

I'm on the grand jury, so the sessions are scheduled in advance.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadsguy

Has the diner been settled on? No one seems to have any objections.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

signalman

I'm in.  I got confirmation from my boss today that I can have the 13th off.  I probably won't be staying for dinner since I have to work Friday the 14th and will want to be home at a decent hour on Thursday.

tckma

briantroutman

The few comments I've gotten in the thread and by email have been generally in favor of the diner (or indicated no preference). If no one has any objections, I'll get in touch with the Golden Eagle Diner today and reserve a private room. Once the restaurant arrangements have been confirmed, I'll send out another email update to everyone who has registered.

To date, over 20 people have RSVPed, and I know that at least a few more people are waiting until closer to the cut-off date before making a final decision. But all indications suggest that we'll have a good turnout and a very interesting event!

A few quick reminders...

- If you haven't already registered on the event page, please do so. The registration list is what I'm using to send updates to the attendees, create the name tags, and send a head count over to the PTC next Monday.

- If you've registered but haven't yet sent me your AARoads screen name or preferred name (for your name tag), please send it by next Monday. I plan to have the name tags printed next Tuesday.

- If you'd like to submit any questions for the PTC engineers to answer during the Q&A session, please email them to me by next Monday. Of course you'll be able to ask questions on the spot, too, but giving the engineers a little prep time might allow them to provide more thorough answers. Thanks to those who have submitted some great questions already; I'm looking forward to hearing the engineers' answers.

As always feel free to get in contact with me directly if you have any questions or thoughts. I'm looking forward to a terrific meet!

briantroutman

Back on the topic of the meet...

The Golden Eagle is, unfortunately, off the table as our lunch choice. I spoke with the manager late yesterday, and he said they're currently undergoing extensive renovations and none of their event rooms are available. And when I asked about putting tables together in the general dining room to accommodate a group of about 20-25, he said that it wouldn't really be possible on a weekday at noon.

I'll canvass the neighborhood to find some other options, and if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to chime in. I'm inclined to go for a diner-type place since the menus are generally broad, the prices fairly low, and the service pretty quick.

I just got off the phone with my contact at the PTC, and she confirmed that 2 p.m. as the start of the Q&A session will be fine. So as far as a schedule is concerned, I'll be at the restaurant (wherever that ends up being) by noon. Everyone is encouraged to come to the restaurant as close to noon as they're able, and we'll be wrapping up and departing the restaurant around 1:30. That should give us enough time to settle checks, migrate over to the field office, and be in the conference room by 2.

We also discussed the maximum number of attendees that could be accommodated. The number of RSVPs is currently 23, and the PTC rep said that they'd like to keep the total under 30 if possible (because of logistical issues involving their conference room and procuring vans for transportation to the interchange). If you're thinking about going but haven't yet registered, please do so as soon as possible so that we don't get into a bind at the last minute.

akotchi

I know of a few diners that are a little more off the beaten path (Clubhouse Diner in Bensalem, Langhorne Speedway Diner in Langhorne, or Golden Dawn in Levittown) that I can check into . . . I live close enough to these places that I can walk in and inquire.

There is always Oxford Valley Mall Food Court, if it gets desperate.  The mall is not that busy on a Thursday noon during the school year.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

jeffandnicole

Likewise in a desperate move, there's a Wawa in the shadows of the interchange project where we can stand by our cars and eat!

kevinb1994

I would recommend the Madison Diner in Levittown, but it's cash-only. There's also the Metro Diner in Bensalem.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.