News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: Crown Victoria on June 25, 2022, 08:50:16 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 25, 2022, 07:14:21 AM
As a note, as of Wednesday night, mile markers have been placed for US 22 along US 22/US 322 from PA 34 near Newport (I do not think I saw any west of here.) to I-81.  The numbers also seemed to have been corrected from the previous erroneous ones near I-81.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use mile markers for US 322 (especially if the end goal is to place them all the way to Potters Mills and eventually to State College)?

Ordinarily US 22 takes precedence along the concurrency, but the majority of the long-distance traffic on that freeway is using US 322 to/from Centre County and beyond.

If US 22 mile markers are used east of Lewistown and US 322 used its own west of there, travelers following US 322 would see the mile markers repeat for about 25 miles or so in either direction, which could cause confusion.

Fair, but if used by current standards (including the US 22 shield on the MM), that should lessen the problem.

cl94

As a note, as of Wednesday night, mile markers have been placed for US 22 along US 22/US 322 from PA 34 near Newport (I do not think I saw any west of here.) to I-81.  The numbers also seemed to have been corrected from the previous erroneous ones near I-81.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use mile markers for US 322 (especially if the end goal is to place them all the way to Potters Mills and eventually to State College)?

Ordinarily US 22 takes precedence along the concurrency, but the majority of the long-distance traffic on that freeway is using US 322 to/from Centre County and beyond.

If US 22 mile markers are used east of Lewistown and US 322 used its own west of there, travelers following US 322 would see the mile markers repeat for about 25 miles or so in either direction, which could cause confusion.

There's also the little issue of ADHS corridors here. Corridor M follows 22, not 322, and the corridor takes precedence for some things. Allegedly, 22 will eventually be 4-laned between Duncansville and Lewistown, which would make that the preferred long-distance route to Pittsburgh.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Crown Victoria

Quote from: cl94 on June 25, 2022, 09:31:50 PM

There's also the little issue of ADHS corridors here. Corridor M follows 22, not 322, and the corridor takes precedence for some things. Allegedly, 22 will eventually be 4-laned between Duncansville and Lewistown, which would make that the preferred long-distance route to Pittsburgh.

Cost considerations aside, the best route from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh would still be the PA Turnpike, even with a fully 4-laned US 22. Indeed, even from Lewistown, the quickest route to Pittsburgh (at least currently) involves using US 322 to I-99 to US 22.

Also, PA doesn't put mile markers on non-freeways, unless you count the little white signs as such.

As far as Corridor M, most of the general public is probably unaware of US 22's status as such.

Taking all of this into account, I still think the Harrisburg-State College freeway corridor is best signed with US 322 mile markers. In the end, though, any mile markers, whether for US 22 or US 322, are helpful.

74/171FAN

I drove through here again last night and can clarify that they went as far west as PA 17.  It must have been a District 8 thing so it would make sense to end them at the Juniata-Perry County line.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

vdeane

^ It seems like it would be relatively straightforward to bring back, re-submitting basically the same plan but with the currently proposed bridges to toll as the ones specifically to toll (instead of leaving it vague and coming up with the list later, which is what the court found issue with)... except for the governor leaving office soon and neither of his successors supporting it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ketchup99

Allegedly - but it shouldn't. Living nearby and having spent a good chunk of time on that portion of 22, there's no demand for it. Three-laning the road in a 2+1 style would be great, and a bypass of Hollidaysburg would too, but ultimately State College to Harrisburg is the critical corridor in the region, and that's what the mile markers should reflect. I also wouldn't mind exit numbers on it.

famartin

Quote from: Ketchup99 on June 30, 2022, 04:46:34 PM

Allegedly - but it shouldn't. Living nearby and having spent a good chunk of time on that portion of 22, there's no demand for it. Three-laning the road in a 2+1 style would be great, and a bypass of Hollidaysburg would too, but ultimately State College to Harrisburg is the critical corridor in the region, and that's what the mile markers should reflect. I also wouldn't mind exit numbers on it.

A lot of the ADHS routes have little demand. Their purpose is to help generate demand. (Development, like the name says). Now, unlike some states which participate in ADHS, PA has plenty of real problems to spend money on. ADHS upgrades probably shouldn't be a big priority.

74/171FAN

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/5994uuC6y9X5Ha4v5
This is odd. You have a mast arm here, but the important US 202 South trailblazer is not on it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flyer78

That would have had the left-/ right-turn only signs, typically no other signs on those installs

Roadsguy

Quote from: Flyer78 on July 01, 2022, 12:30:02 PM
That would have had the left-/ right-turn only signs, typically no other signs on those installs

According to historical Street View imagery, those signs were there in 2008, but by 2012 they had fallen down or were removed and they never noticed/bothered replacing them.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman65

It should have turn arrows and a shield both. FDOT does it so can PennDOT do it.  Makes sense.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Do Pennsylvania residents call the NE Extension in common talk: The Turnpike? Or is it colloquially referred as " The Extension?"

I would imagine the latter as the former would seem logical for the Mainline only.

Sheryl Crowe

MATraveler128

Quote from: roadman65 on July 02, 2022, 08:24:33 AM
Do Pennsylvania residents call the NE Extension in common talk: The Turnpike? Or is it colloquially referred as " The Extension?"

I would imagine the latter as the former would seem logical for the Mainline only.

My grandparents who live in the area call it the Turnpike. I've never heard anyone call it the Extension. Almost no one refers to it by its number. Same with 276.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jeffandnicole

In the Philly area, it's usually called the Extension.

roadman65

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on July 02, 2022, 08:54:08 AM

My grandparents who live in the area call it the Turnpike. I've never heard anyone call it the Extension. Almost no one refers to it by its number. Same with 276.

Or 76 either.  It's all The Turnpike, or the official name.  I think most don't call the 70 overlap either as I-70 but most likely the Turnpike as well.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Speaking of the NE Extension, the mileage sign north of the Lehigh Valley Interchange always followed PTC protocol and listed the next two exits by name. 

Being Route 903 has no interchange name, I assume that is why it is omitted on this:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZwyYH7THvJpAGPZTA

Technically Pocono is number three and should not be listed anymore.

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

Quote from: roadman65 on July 02, 2022, 11:40:25 AM
Speaking of the NE Extension, the mileage sign north of the Lehigh Valley Interchange always followed PTC protocol and listed the next two exits by name. 

Being Route 903 has no interchange name, I assume that is why it is omitted on this:

It's because that sign hasn't been 'replaced' since the PA-903 interchange opened.  If you look at historical StreetView, it's been there since 2008, well before the interchange with PA-903 opened.

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 02, 2022, 08:59:20 AM

In the Philly area, it's usually called the Extension.

Same in my household (consisting entirely of Delaware Valley natives, although we long ago moved out of the Philly area), as well.
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

MASTERNC

Quote from: roadman65 on July 02, 2022, 11:40:25 AM

It might also be that the interchange was E-ZPass Only until AET and they wanted to not confuse cash paying drivers. The EB sign after Morgantown still omits the PA 29 former slip ramp.

VTGoose

Made a visit back to the 'Burgh for the holiday and I'm curious about a section of I-79 north of Waynesburg, starting around MP 17. The speed limit drops from 70 to 55 and stays that way for several miles. There are some curves in that stretch but they aren't any worse than other curves on either side. Does the township that section runs through have some special pull with PennDOT to get the speed lowered? Or was there an accident at one time and the lower speed limit is the result?
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

rickmastfan67

Quote from: VTGoose on July 02, 2022, 10:58:01 PM
Made a visit back to the 'Burgh for the holiday and I'm curious about a section of I-79 north of Waynesburg, starting around MP 17. The speed limit drops from 70 to 55 and stays that way for several miles. There are some curves in that stretch but they aren't any worse than other curves on either side. Does the township that section runs through have some special pull with PennDOT to get the speed lowered? Or was there an accident at one time and the lower speed limit is the result?

Longwall mining issues in that area.  It's only for 2 miles (and only NB), as it goes back 70 just after MP 19 till just after Exit 30, where it goes back to 55.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.