News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

September 2022 Central Pennsylvania Road Meet Is now set for 9/24/22

Started by jpi, July 11, 2021, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here are the dates in April for this meet, I will be spending time in the area for other activities

April 16
3 (30%)
April 23
7 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: September 10, 2021, 10:26:06 AM

hbelkins

There have been meet lunches at Barrels before. The start of the two-day Corridor H meet was at the Barrel in (temporarily forgets name of town where US 340/522 cross I-66).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

Quote from: hbelkins on January 30, 2022, 05:02:01 PM
There have been meet lunches at Barrels before. The start of the two-day Corridor H meet was at the Barrel in (temporarily forgets name of town where US 340/522 cross I-66).

Front Royal.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Quote from: jpi on January 30, 2022, 09:34:54 AM
One more question for everyone, would you all prefer meeting at Cracker barrel which is right off the exit for Shrewsbury and right by the diverging diamond interchange or a local family restaurant called Mason Dixon family restaurant which is on the Susquehanna trail (old US 111) in Shrewsbury which is a typical central PA style family restaurant? reason I ask is I am finally about to post the facebook event later today, thanks everyone
I like the family style restaurant but maybe that can be for dinner?

cl94

One more question for everyone, would you all prefer meeting at Cracker barrel which is right off the exit for Shrewsbury and right by the diverging diamond interchange or a local family restaurant called Mason Dixon family restaurant which is on the Susquehanna trail (old US 111) in Shrewsbury which is a typical central PA style family restaurant? reason I ask is I am finally about to post the facebook event later today, thanks everyone

I am generally a fan of local restaurants, but the Barrel might be better able to handle a group our size and separate checks. >70% chance I'll be at this thing, but I don't have a real preference for the lunch location.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

baugh17

Concurring here.  I would prefer a local place to meet at but if logistics make a chain establishment more feasible (see Susquehanna 2018), then so be it.

Quote from: cl94 on January 30, 2022, 07:42:19 PM

I am generally a fan of local restaurants, but the Barrel might be better able to handle a group our size and separate checks. >70% chance I'll be at this thing, but I don't have a real preference for the lunch location.

jpi

Thanks everyone, logistic wise the Barrel may work out better for lunch, I also found out Mason Dixon family restaurant (the other choice) closes at 3 in the afternoon, I figured a dinner option will be more of a "game day" choice, also there is a small possibility I may have to break away to the Antique Car museum in Hershey to set up for my other hobby which there is a show for the next day but it would not be long so way may end up in the Harrisburg area at the end of the meet, I-83 construction around Colonial Park is done so that may be the last area we will see and there is several local diners up that way that are good for dinner.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

***Due to a combination of events from other road meets being planned for April and a family event now taking place on the original date of this meet I am now postponing this meet until Saturday Sept. 24, 2022

I am sorry about this but a celebration of life is now taking place on this same original meet date for my recently diseased cousin also there is already 2 additional road meets being planned for April so I have decided to push this back to Saturday September 24, 2022 the restaurant will be the Shrewsbury Cracker Barrel and will meet at 11am (also I do get a discount on meal and retail purchases) This will also give me more time to fully plan out this meet and as far as I know there is no other meets planned around this date. Thank you all for your understanding.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Quote from: jpi on February 05, 2022, 09:25:49 PM
***Due to a combination of events from other road meets being planned for April and a family event now taking place on the original date of this meet I am now postponing this meet until Saturday Sept. 24, 2022

I am sorry about this but a celebration of life is now taking place on this same original meet date for my recently diseased cousin also there is already 2 additional road meets being planned for April so I have decided to push this back to Saturday September 24, 2022 the restaurant will be the Shrewsbury Cracker Barrel and will meet at 11am (also I do get a discount on meal and retail purchases) This will also give me more time to fully plan out this meet and as far as I know there is no other meets planned around this date. Thank you all for your understanding.

Gene's San Antonio meet is the next weekend, October 1.  He's only on Facebook and not on AARoads.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

74/171FAN

I think that the discount is limited on how many people it can be used on from what I remember when I used to be a dishwasher.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

signalman

Jason, I'm sorry for the events in your life that caused you to have to postpone this meet. For me personally I'm thrilled because I would have likely had to choose between your meet and Meriden, CT. Now I should be able to attend both meets.

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on February 05, 2022, 10:30:31 PM

Gene's San Antonio meet is the next weekend, October 1.  He's only on Facebook and not on AARoads.
San Antonio vs. PA is probably fine. Wouldn't expect attendance overlap.

jpi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 06, 2022, 07:28:10 AM

I think that the discount is limited on how many people it can be used on from what I remember when I used to be a dishwasher.
What store did you work at? As for limited I don't think that is the case anymore, when CP had his meet at the Front Royal barrel everyone one was able to get my discount
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

Quote from: jpi on February 07, 2022, 08:56:07 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 06, 2022, 07:28:10 AM

What store did you work at? As for limited I don't think that is the case anymore, when CP had his meet at the Front Royal barrel everyone one was able to get my discount

Ok.  I stopped working at the one in Chester, VA, in late 2015 when I got my current job with PennDOT in Harrisburg.

kevinb1994

I'll keep this meet in mind. It won't be hard getting to from Baltimore.

Laura

I am so sorry for your loss, Jason.

If anyone is interested in doing a bridge walk/run nearby as a pre-meet activity with the MDRoads crew, the Susquehanna River Running Festival is on Saturday 9/24 this year and has a 10K course that includes going over the Hatem Bridge in Havre de Grace, MD. It'll be a little tight time-wise but doable - race starts at 8:30, finish and leave by 10 am to get to Shrewsbury by 11 am. https://www.srrf.org/10-kilometer

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cjk374

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 09, 2022, 08:41:52 PM
Quote from: jpi on May 08, 2022, 03:37:15 PM
It is now official!  :nod:
https://www.facebook.com/events/971373683411355?ref=newsfeed
just like with relationships, road meets are not official until they're posted on Facebook

I guess I'll never have an official relationship.  :-D
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: cjk374 on May 12, 2022, 06:33:19 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on May 09, 2022, 08:41:52 PM
Quote from: jpi on May 08, 2022, 03:37:15 PM
It is now official!  :nod:
https://www.facebook.com/events/971373683411355?ref=newsfeed
just like with relationships, road meets are not official until they're posted on Facebook

I guess I'll never have an official relationship.  :-D
I'm sure we can find a Louisiana parish equivalent.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jpi

Happy first day of September!  :biggrin: Now that the Philly National meet is behind us time to now focus on the next Pennsylvania road meet!  :nod: We will meet at 11am at South County Brewery which is off I-83 at PA 182 Leader Heights exit, we will then head south to Shrewsbury and drive through York Counties only diverging diamond interchange, take a drive along the Susquehanna Trail and check out a newer alignment of PA 214 near Loganville and plan A if the weather is nice we will hike the York County Heritage Rail Trail to Howard tunnel (a 45 minute walk one way from where we will park) we will also get our group pic taken there. If the weather is less then perfect (raining, ect...) then plan B will be tracing more of the Susquehanna Trail from North York to the Harrisburg area and check out the newely reconstructed I-83 in the Colonial Park area. I plan to be in York County again by Thursday evening 9/22 and will do some last minute scouting before we all meet up on Saturday. So far it looks like 7 confirmed and 26 maybes per my facebook event so I will need a more accurate count soon so I can let South County know. I will also have the itenrary printed out for everyone by then too. Looking forward to seeing everyone for what will be my 3rd central PA hosted road meet! 
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

If we have to go with Plan B, I am more than happy to work with you Jason on some other stuff to check out in the Harrisburg area such as the Everhart Covered Bridge.

jpi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 01, 2022, 10:35:30 AM
If we have to go with Plan B, I am more than happy to work with you Jason on some other stuff to check out in the Harrisburg area such as the Everhart Covered Bridge.
Ok, thanks I will keep that in mind but again as long as there is no heavy rain, even if it is just overcast we should be good for the walk to Howard tunnel
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

tckma

I may have to bow out of this one because Life Happens; I now have A LOT going on in the days before and after the meet.  Saturday is at the moment still do-able but Sunday is spoken for.

Laura

Me, Mike, and Rainee are in! We have a friend who is interested in coming with us so there might be a fourth person with us!

FYI, the walk to Howard Tunnel is 1.8 miles each way for a round trip total of 3.6 miles...I'd recommend for people to bring folding camp chairs with them if they are unable to walk. Our friend won't be walking, and if Rainee is asleep in the car when we get to that stop then one of us will be hanging back with her.

jpi

This is it, 6 more days to go! I have made reservations at the restaurant and also Steph may be joining us for the lunch portion (she is currently in Harrisburg spending time with family this week) At this point the weather is looking good with a high of 74 and partly sunny skies for Saturday so it looks like we will be doing a hike on the rail trail to see the oldest functioning railroad tunnel in the USA!

This is also where I plan to do our group photo so make sure also to have good walking shoes, the trail is level but watch out for joggers and bikers too. I am finalizing the itinerary and will have print outs at the restaurant. As for carpooling we should be fine with leaving cars in the parking lot of the restaurant, I personally only have room for one person if I drive my minivan as it is full of merchandise for my other hobby related activities on Sunday.

And speaking of I will have to head to Hershey by 5:30 to get set up for that event so you all are free to do whatever you want for dinner, if you all pic somewhere in the Harrisburg area I may be able to join you when I am done unloading the van and setting up. So, after we make our hike to Howard tunnel and back to the parking area at Gladfelter's Station we will be "open" for whatever you all like to do, I was thinking we still trace the Susquehanna Trail north of York to Lemoyne but again that is up to you all. Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend!!  :)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.