News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Highways on Jeopardy!

Started by NWI_Irish96, October 30, 2023, 05:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Board member Ken Jennings delivered this clue for Final Jeopardy today:

Only one of the three got it correct. The other two named the state with the second most mileage.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

US 89

I figured I had a 50/50 shot. I guessed right.

Dough4872

Roadgeeks should have an easy time getting this answer.

tmoore952

^Same here (same as the post that says "50/50").

This hasn't aired in my city yet (show is just starting as I write this). My wife always watches; I rarely get to. I'll ask when I get home.

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

hotdogPi

How were you able to see the episode several hours early?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

SEWIGuy

Quote from: 1 on October 30, 2023, 07:40:18 PM

It's syndicated so it depends on who owns the rights in the various local markets.

BrianP

I got it right by focusing in on the last part. 

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: BrianP on October 30, 2023, 10:02:37 PM

That didn't help me too much, since there is one Interstate in each of the two states that are considerably longer than the others. I guessed by surmising how much more or less Interstate mileage would reflect differences in terrain between the two states.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Henry

It figures: I-10 in "Texas" is 880 miles long, and so I'm betting that the other two players who answered wrong said "California", based on I-5 almost being 800 miles long. It certainly looks like it could have that many miles of freeways, but all those state routes would cut back the Interstate mileage by a considerably large amount. The top five state segments in the Interstate system are:

I-10 TX: 881 miles
I-5 CA: 797 miles
I-20 TX: 636 miles
I-90 MT: 552 miles
I-35 TX: 504 miles
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 30, 2023, 08:11:17 PM

It's syndicated so it depends on who owns the rights in the various local markets.

Someone did a fun table of where/when it airs across the country. With limited exception it airs in the afternoon in Central markets.

https://jeopardy.mattcarberry.com/stations.html
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

It airs in most markets between 6-8 pm, but in Chicago it airs at 3:30. I think there are some places that air it as early as 9 am.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 30, 2023, 10:12:07 PM
Quote from: BrianP on October 30, 2023, 10:02:37 PM

That didn't help me too much, since there is one Interstate in each of the two states that are considerably longer than the others. I guessed by surmising how much more or less Interstate mileage would reflect differences in terrain between the two states.

Both have a very long side, allowing I-10 and I-80 to be very long, but Texas' N-S interstates are much longer than California's E-W interstates.

Jim

So according to TM, Texas has over 3500 miles of interstates.  Yes, that's more than 3200, but a lot more than 3200.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

1995hoo

Quote from: Jim on October 31, 2023, 07:30:10 AM
So according to TM, Texas has over 3500 miles of interstates.  Yes, that's more than 3200, but a lot more than 3200.

We don't know when the clue was written. Don't forget that Hollywood has been dealing with a writers' strike. Jeopardy announced that they were going to be re-using older clues for the "Champions' Wildcard" tournaments in order to allow them to record new episodes during the writers' strike when they weren't getting new clues. So maybe that particular clue was written prior to the designation of routes like the assorted I-69s, I-2, etc.

Edited to add: I went to Travel Mapping and added up the mileage listed for I-2, I-14, the various I-69s, and the two I-69 3dis. Total came to 246.13 miles. Subtracting that from the 3526.78 total listed mileage yields 3280.65. So depending on the clue was written, "more than 3,200" wouldn't have been an unreasonable way to write it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

It'd be helpful if FHWA did a better job updating its log of Interstate highways...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

achilles765

I did see this. And I knew it immediately.
I watch everyday because I'm actively trying to become a contestant. Have a final mock game audition on November 14 *fingers crossed*
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: achilles765 on October 31, 2023, 09:05:42 AM
I watch everyday because I'm actively trying to become a contestant. Have a final mock game audition on November 14 *fingers crossed*

I just don't care enough about literature, mythology or film to commit enough to memory in those categories to succeed on the show.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: achilles765 on October 31, 2023, 09:05:42 AM

Break a leg!
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 31, 2023, 07:06:56 AM
Both have a very long side, allowing I-10 and I-80 to be very long, but Texas' N-S interstates are much longer than California's E-W interstates.

I-80 isn't all that long in California. Was this a brain fart for I-5?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 31, 2023, 11:36:44 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 31, 2023, 07:06:56 AM

I-80 isn't all that long in California. Was this a brain fart for I-5?

Yes.

tmoore952

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 30, 2023, 08:11:17 PM

I was already aware of the differences in airing times.  Due to someone from an "early" market posting about it at the time, I knew that Amy Schneider (a 40x champion from a couple years ago) was going to lose that evening. I did not tell my wife beforehand but I did watch to see how it unfolded.

I forgot to ask my wife about the final question last night.

My wife attempted to get on the show about 30 years ago but failed. We would do well if we could combine our brains. Unfortunately, as I age, I have more of those moments where I can't remember the right answer in time.

SectorZ

I know I don't shut up about roads when my wife guesses right as fast as I do.

triplemultiplex

The second part of the question where one route accounts for a quarter of the mileage; I wonder how long it will take for that to no longer be true?  Gotta be getting close with every new spate of I-69 shields posted in the field.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

paulthemapguy

I was like 80% sure it was Texas.  California might give Texas more of a run for its money if US101 became an Interstate.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.