News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Multi-state routes through the most states

Started by pderocco, December 29, 2023, 04:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Quote from: pderocco on December 29, 2023, 06:23:45 PM
Quote from: Big John on December 29, 2023, 04:52:58 AM
ID-MT-ND-MN 200 are continuous.
That's a hell of an impressive route. According to Wikipedia, just the Montana portion of it is the longest state highway in the country. It sure has a lot of multiplexes, though, including with Interstates.
I had to check, but it does beat out CA 1 by eight miles.

Thankfully, BC 97 and AB 2 say hi.

CNGL-Leudimin

CA 1 has several concurrencies with US 101. But those are not defined officially, thus creating a US 6/20-like dispute. Only the longest Interstate is undisputed as being I-90.

Also, fixed the thread title :bigass:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on December 29, 2023, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 29, 2023, 07:38:22 AM
Quote from: Big John on December 29, 2023, 04:52:58 AM
ID-MT-ND-MN 200 are continuous.

Yeah that's over 1,300 miles. I believe it was part of an effort to create a US route over this corridor in the 1960s.

Any idea why the effort failed?

My guess is that it's because in the 1960s, AASHTO used a points system to determine whether to approve a route or not. It's possible it simply couldn't score enough points to become a US route, and they couldn't figure out a way to fix the problem, so they gave up on it and did MSRs instead.

A similar doomed idea is the US-789 effort. WY 789 is the only remnant of this scheme.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 01, 2024, 04:18:35 AM
CA 1 has several concurrencies with US 101. But those are not defined officially, thus creating a US 6/20-like dispute. Only the longest Interstate is undisputed as being I-90.

Also, fixed the thread title :bigass:
Isn't part of I-90 a bootleg interstate? :bigass:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

oscar

Quote from: Jim on December 29, 2023, 06:37:07 PM
And TM has one user (oscar), who has traveled all of MSR 200.

I'm working on MSR (?) 92, missing only a little of IA 92, and most of IL 92 and WY 92.

Quote from: Takumi on December 30, 2023, 06:18:32 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 30, 2023, 11:23:16 AM
MSR 80 between KY/ VA could have been with MO 80 if there could be a ferry across the Mississippi. Not suggesting that there should, but if there was a need for one.

I believe that there was a ferry until the 1980s.

There is still another ferry downriver, between Dorena MO and Hickman KY.  I took it across the river last March, but it was often closed due to bad weather or river levels.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

Quote from: oscar on January 03, 2024, 08:26:50 PM

I'm working on MSR (?) 92, missing only a little of IA 92, and most of IL 92 and WY 92.
Quote from: Takumi on December 30, 2023, 06:18:32 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 30, 2023, 11:23:16 AM
MSR 80 between KY/ VA could have been with MO 80 if there could be a ferry across the Mississippi. Not suggesting that there should, but if there was a need for one.

I believe that there was a ferry until the 1980s.

There is still another ferry downriver, between Dorena MO and Hickman KY.  I took it across the river last March, but it was often closed due to bad weather or river levels.
It was closed for a lot of last year.  I think it opened after a long hiatus a couple of days ago, but is expected to close again soon.

Low water has been the culprit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: oscar on January 03, 2024, 08:26:50 PM

I'm investigating how I want to drive to KC this fall, and I think I've settled on this. I'm trying to get some counties clinched on the way, but since I've already completed Kansas, it's becoming tougher. NE92 seems to be the best direct route to hit a bunch of counties at once, and I'm missing some of the little state routes up by Torrington in Wyoming, so I'd be able to add a good amount of mileage. I'd hope off of MSR92 at I-29 and probably take the quick way down, but clinching WY92 and NE92 and adding just a few miles of IA92.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.