News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Southeast / Re: Charlotte
Last post by ran4sh - Today at 08:23:32 AM
It is, but in the MUTCD figure the "exit only" panels are much closer to the arrows than they are on that sign.
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by formulanone - Today at 08:11:24 AM
Maryland 482:

Southeast / Re: I-40 in North Carolina
Last post by ARMOURERERIC - Today at 06:47:49 AM
I was always told that DDI's were for when cross road traffic was heavily turning left to get on the freeway ramps.
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by Ted$8roadFan - Today at 06:28:00 AM
Quote from: webny99 on April 25, 2024, 10:41:05 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 25, 2024, 08:36:11 PMNew England Patriots select NC QB Drake Maye at #3.

A bummer for the rest of the AFC East.

Falcons selecting Michael Penix Jr at #8 overall is the most surprising QB pick since Daniel Jones.

This draft has definitely made history opening with 14 straight offensive players, not to mention the record-setting 6 QB's in the first 12 picks.

6 QB's gone before the Raiders picked at #13 was definitely not something anyone had mocked and they would have been laughed off the street if they had. There was plenty of talk of Bo Nix falling out of the first round entirely like Will Levis, while hardly anyone considered that he might go as early as #12. Also since there were only 6 potential first round QB's, there was some extra petty motivation for the Broncos to take the last one to stick it to the Raiders. They still got a good player in Brock Bowers, but you can bet they're disappointed all 6 QB's were gone.

I was also surprised that the Falcons selected Penix. I wonder what their rationale is.
Closures happening this weekend. Seems like beams are getting installed for the flyover ramp.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/OHDOT/bulletins/398b6a9
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by Big John - Today at 04:03:55 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on Today at 02:32:28 AMDo away with the dollar bill and a U.S."loonie" will fly. That's the only change I would recommend, having handled British and Euro money in the past. The U.S. twice rolled out dollar coins and they flopped mightily.
I count more than 2 times, unless you are bundling.

Morgan dollar (silver)
Peace Dollar
Eisenhower dollar'
Susan B Anthony dollar
Sacagawea dollar
Presidental series
a few in-betweens, hard to document.
Southeast / Re: Charlotte
Last post by sprjus4 - Today at 03:09:26 AM
^ Is the "Exit Only" signage necessary? I feel like it adds unnecessary spacing.
Southeast / Re: I-40 in North Carolina
Last post by sprjus4 - Today at 02:32:31 AM
About the difference in DDI vs. SPUI and preference phasing out SPUI's for DDI cause of cost... aren't the two interchanges for distinctive different uses?

SPUI's are useful when there's a heavy amount of through traffic on the cross street... that is traffic going straight through without turning on/off the freeway ramps.

Whereas DDI's are best placed when there's a large amount of exiting / entering traffic, and a lesser amount of actual cross street through traffic.

So I'm not understanding how a SPUI was just flipped to a DDI for cost... was it actually the better option for the type of traffic the road handled?
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by Road Hog - Today at 02:32:28 AM
Do away with the dollar bill and a U.S."loonie" will fly. That's the only change I would recommend, having handled British and Euro money in the past. The U.S. twice rolled out dollar coins and they flopped mightily.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Update on I-69 Extension i...
Last post by ITB - Today at 01:24:09 AM
Change of pace. In this batch of photos, we take a look at a corollary project of I-69 in Bloomington, and then jump back to 2015 with a selection of past and present photos. It should be noted the Bloomington project is not associated with the I-69 corridor program.

In Bloomington, Phase III of the city's south side corridor project kicked off earlier this month. In Phase III, Fullerton Pike will be extended eastward from Rockport Road to connect with Gordon Pike. This is an entirely new stretch of road about a mile in length. When completed, the road will link the I-69/Fullerton Pike interchange to the southeast side of Bloomington, enhancing a much used east-west arterial. The project is expected to complete by August 2025.

April 24, 2024
Looking east toward Fullerton Pike from the eastern traffic circle of the I-69/Fullerton Pike interchange. Currently, Fullerton Pike ends at an intersection with Rockport Road. For some reason, the road was never pushed further east to intersect with Gordon Pike. Until now, that is.

April 24, 2024
Zoomed in shot. In the background are the signal-controlled intersections of Rhorer Road and S. Walnut Street and, further back, Rhorer Road and S. Walnut Street Pike. The distance covered in the photo is roughly two miles.

This road corridor is one of those that changes names, going from Fullerton Pike in the west to Gordon Pike, and then to Rhorer Road. Rhorer Road begins at the S. Walnut Street intersection and heads east. Phases I and II of the corridor project widened Rhorer Road and Gordon Pike between S. Walnut Street Pike and S. Rogers Road. At the Gordon Pike/Rogers Road intersection, a large roundabout was built (not visible), and at the S. Walnut Street Pike/Rhorer Road intersection, a light was installed, replacing stop signs (deep background). Planned for the future is a Phase IV, in which Rhorer Road will widened from S. Walnut Street Pike to Sare Road.

April 19, 2024
Closer look of the recently commenced construction; looking east. Milestone Contractors is the project's prime contractor; Crider and Crider, a sub. The just-shy-of $19 million construction contract was awarded in January of this year.

April 19, 2024
Another look at the work zone. There's a creek down there somewhere, the west branch of Clear Creek. Included in the project is a long 525' bridge. It appears the rows of stakes indicate where the bridge piers will be located. In the mid-background, the Clear Creek Trail runs across the frame.

April 24, 2024
Hampered by the position of the sun, here's the view looking west. In the deep background, the I-69/Fullerton Pike interchange's eastern roundabout can be partially discerned (better seen when the photo is expanded).

April 24, 2024
Another zoomed in shot, slightly cropped. Bachelor Middle School, one of the county's three middle schools, is located near the intersection of Gordon Pike and S. Rogers Road. Also, nearby, is a new county library branch. Neither are visible but are roughly located to the left of the stop sign in the background. Bear in mind again, this is two miles in distance.

Moving on, a blast from the past:

April 24, 2024
In southwest Monroe County, looking east toward I-69 from the Harmony Road bridge.

August 23, 2015
The view about eight and half years ago, looking a little rough.

September 18, 2015
Then this.

October 23, 2015
And by late October the paving crew was at work.

October 23, 2015
Different angle.

October 23, 2015
Slightly zoomed in look.

November 5, 2015
Paving the outside shoulder with asphalt and sealing joints. Just about done.

April 24, 2024
Hard to believe this section of I-69 will be nine years old come December.

April 24, 2024
And a cropped perspective.

October 29, 2015
The newly built Harmony Road bridge, which was opened to traffic in the fall of 2015; looking northwest.

April 20, 2024
The bridge as it is today, looking north. The fencing went up about two years after the bridge was opened, probably, I suspect, due to an incident.

April 20, 2024
One last one, the view looking west from the bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.