News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: shadyjay on November 07, 2022, 06:03:06 PM
Could someone please explain to me the purpose of a "Truck Turnout" ramp?  There's one on MA 128 (I-95) SB in Dedham.  Here's a shot I got yesterday:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/52482479958/in/datetaken/

There's no parking and the ramp is wide enough for one vehicle to briefly exit the interstate, then immediately reenter. 

What purpose does it serve?  (I may have asked this years ago, and with the add-a-lane project happening a few years back, I thought for sure it would fall by the wayside, but there it is, still open to the public).

Norfolk County jail escapee pickup ramp.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: SectorZ on November 08, 2022, 09:37:35 AM
Could someone please explain to me the purpose of a "Truck Turnout" ramp?  There's one on MA 128 (I-95) SB in Dedham.  Here's a shot I got yesterday:

There's no parking and the ramp is wide enough for one vehicle to briefly exit the interstate, then immediately reenter. 

What purpose does it serve?  (I may have asked this years ago, and with the add-a-lane project happening a few years back, I thought for sure it would fall by the wayside, but there it is, still open to the public).

Norfolk County jail escapee pickup ramp.

Wouldn't escapees have to cross 4 lanes of 55 MPH (or more) traffic? Seems a bit risky.

PurdueBill

The 2008 streetview of it shows that there is just enough room for parking on the right and getting by on the left of the Turnout--a small but useful parking area for trucks.  Growing up around Boston with family on the South Shore and stuff, we used to go by there relatively often and even back in the 80s it was the Truck Turnout, a name the younger me always found interesting.

kramie13

Quote from: Alps on November 07, 2022, 10:39:20 PM
Sometimes a truck driver is running out of time and they can use this for the mandatory stop. There's a reason I-287 NB truck area at MP 32 exists and is overcrowded at night with trucks all over the shoulders (same along I-80 and other highways in NJ).

What do you mean by a truck driver "running out of time"?

5foot14

Quote from: kramie13 on November 09, 2022, 12:50:32 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 07, 2022, 10:39:20 PM
Sometimes a truck driver is running out of time and they can use this for the mandatory stop. There's a reason I-287 NB truck area at MP 32 exists and is overcrowded at night with trucks all over the shoulders (same along I-80 and other highways in NJ).

What do you mean by a truck driver "running out of time"?
Truck drivers are only allowed to be actively driving so many hours a day, and must spend the remainder resting. It's to make sure truckers get the required sleep and they're not out driving for 20 hours a day.

SM-A515U

MATraveler128

MassDOT just unveiled design concepts for replacing the Bourne and Sagamore Bridges. They seem to be leaning towards the arch style design.

https://www.nantucketcurrent.com/state-unveils-potential-designs-for-new-cape-cod-canal-bridges
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Alps

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on November 17, 2022, 07:38:51 PM
MassDOT just unveiled design concepts for replacing the Bourne and Sagamore Bridges. They seem to be leaning towards the arch style design.

https://www.nantucketcurrent.com/state-unveils-potential-designs-for-new-cape-cod-canal-bridges
as am I

roadman65

May I ask how is the missing movements between I-93 SB to US 1 NB and from US 1 SB to I-93 NB are made since the reconstruction of what was once a simple 3 wye interchange is now a complex interchange in Boston?

Also I noticed that the Tobin Bridge Boston approach has both levels on its Boston side drop below grade and into a stacked tunnel thus creating the two stacked roadways to become un-stacked underground.   

WTF did that Big Dig do? It seemed like it added more ramps and made a mess out of a simple wye?  Not to mention added three times the original acreage the 3 wye used.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

fwydriver405

Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2022, 09:05:48 PM
May I ask how is the missing movements between I-93 SB to US 1 NB and from US 1 SB to I-93 NB are made since the reconstruction of what was once a simple 3 wye interchange is now a complex interchange in Boston?

Those movements are made via indirect connections via surface streets.

From I-93 SB to US 1 NB, I believe you have to get off Exit 20, continue onto Mystic Ave, take the ramp to "Sullivan Sq / Charlestown" (also says Tobin Br Truck Detour), then follow Maffa Way onto MA Route 99 (Rutherford Ave) to the US 1 North [Toll] ramp to the Tobin Br.

For the US 1 South to I-93 North movement, I believe you have to get off on the Somerville / Charlestown ramp before the City Sq Tunnel, take a left off the ramp, follow Rutherford Av to the rotary, then take the Main St (which turns into Mystic Av at the Somerville line) exit and keep following that road for about 800 m to the I-93 North ramp.

PurdueBill

Quote from: fwydriver405 on November 21, 2022, 09:17:36 PM

The leftovers from the short time that there was a direct, new-construction US 1 SB to I-93 NB ramp (with access from City Square as well) are still there in the stubs branching off the exit ramp to City Square and the one from City Square, and the diagrammatic sign on the Tobin ahead of the exit now showing an incorrect lane configuration (a 3 = 2+2 split which it has not been for a long time, if ever), with a capital H left from NORTH while everything else for that prong of the diagrammatic arrow was pried off.  Only the BGS at the exit still has a mention of 93 northbound.
Those movements are made via indirect connections via surface streets.

From I-93 SB to US 1 NB, I believe you have to get off Exit 20, continue onto Mystic Ave, take the ramp to "Sullivan Sq / Charlestown" (also says Tobin Br Truck Detour), then follow Maffa Way onto MA Route 99 (Rutherford Ave) to the US 1 North [Toll] ramp to the Tobin Br.

For the US 1 South to I-93 North movement, I believe you have to get off on the Somerville / Charlestown ramp before the City Sq Tunnel, take a left off the ramp, follow Rutherford Av to the rotary, then take the Main St (which turns into Mystic Av at the Somerville line) exit and keep following that road for about 800 m to the I-93 North ramp.

Ted$8roadFan

Also I noticed that the Tobin Bridge Boston approach has both levels on its Boston side drop below grade and into a stacked tunnel thus creating the two stacked roadways to become un-stacked underground.   

WTF did that Big Dig do? It seemed like it added more ramps and made a mess out of a simple wye?  Not to mention added three times the original acreage the 3 wye used.

The Big Dig, for all of the controversies and cost overruns, eliminated the unsafe merge between I-93/US-1, created valuable open space (Rose Kennedy Greenway), and reconnected Charlestown with its waterfront (City Park).

roadman65

Yeah but that loop over the rail lines is totally unnecessary.   If I-95 had gone as planned, that three wye exchange would have had to remain.

Yes, the separate bridge adjacent to the Bunker Hill Bridge is needed as the old Charlestown Truss Bridge was similar to the Fort Pitt Bridge in Pittsburgh with very unsafe weaving concerns.  I'm sure whatever way they would have chosen if I-95 was aligned through Boston, is the way it should have gone IMO.

Sheryl Crowe

5foot14

Quote from: Rothman on October 10, 2022, 06:46:52 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2022, 05:46:47 AM
Is this the segment end of Route 1A in Dedham?
https://goo.gl/maps/6ke85KWTUUMeL8KRA

I see no MA 1A shield telling motorists to turn here to complete connection to both US 1 and I-95.
Heh.  Relying upon MassDOT to properly shield a route or mark it on their SGSes is not advised.  That said, someone'll have to look at a log to figure this out.

Checked the MassDOT GIS site. 1A officially (on paper/computer anyway) does use Elm St to make the connection to US1 and continue its silent concurrency with 95 and 93 to Boston.

Quote from: kramie13 on October 11, 2022, 09:50:25 AM
Also, because of the Big Dig, MA 1A is discontinuous in downtown Boston.  The Callahan and Sumner Tunnels are 1A north and south but there's no longer a direct connection from 93/1 north to the Callahan Tunnel, or from the Sumner Tunnel to 93/1 south!

Interestingly, 1A officially uses the Ted Williams Tunnel now, not the Sumner and Callahan. Signage in the field obviously doesn't reflect this change at all, but that's how MassDOT has it logged.

I went to Logan Airport about a month ago and the signs exciting the airport read 1A South to 93 North and 90 West to 93 South. I think it would be worthwhile for the state to update the signage to reflect this.

Link to the GIS site (doesn't appear to work on mobile)
https://gis.massdot.state.ma.us/mrla/

SM-A515U

5foot14

Quote from: roadman65 on November 22, 2022, 09:47:21 AM
Yeah but that loop over the rail lines is totally unnecessary.   If I-95 had gone as planned, that three wye exchange would have had to remain.

Yes, the separate bridge adjacent to the Bunker Hill Bridge is needed as the old Charlestown Truss Bridge was similar to the Fort Pitt Bridge in Pittsburgh with very unsafe weaving concerns.  I'm sure whatever way they would have chosen if I-95 was aligned through Boston, is the way it should have gone IMO.
The loop ramp was necessary to eliminate the very dangerous weaving between the Tobin bridge ramps and the Leverett Circle ramps, which were spaced only 1/4 mile apart and connected on different sides of the highway. If you wanted to get to the Tobin bridge from Storrow Drive, you had 1/4 mile to cut across 3 lane of heavy I-93 through traffic.  The old wye interchanges were horribly inefficient, low speed, tight curves, no acceleration or deceleration lanes, etc. Traffic would be an unfathomable nightmare of they were retained.

SM-A515U

PurdueBill

Quote from: 5foot14 on November 22, 2022, 10:44:19 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 22, 2022, 09:47:21 AM

The loop ramp was necessary to eliminate the very dangerous weaving between the Tobin bridge ramps and the Leverett Circle ramps, which were spaced only 1/4 mile apart and connected on different sides of the highway. If you wanted to get to the Tobin bridge from Storrow Drive, you had 1/4 mile to cut across 3 lane of heavy I-93 through traffic.  The old wye interchanges were horribly inefficient, low speed, tight curves, no acceleration or deceleration lanes, etc. Traffic would be an unfathomable nightmare of they were retained.

SM-A515U

Thank goodness that crazy weave is gone, as is the one the other direction that used to be right above it (Leverett Circle going up to get to Tobin).  The only saving grace back then was how slow the traffic usually was so there was plenty of time to try to muscle your way over. 

roadman65

Not saying it should or shouldn't be done this way, but just curious to know why the so many complex ramps over a lot of area as supposed to the previous configurations.

Answer satisfied.

Sheryl Crowe

pderocco

The presence of the Leverett Circle Connector Bridge, a basic concrete box girder bridge, right next to the cable-stayed Zakim Bridge kind of proves that the cable-stayed design is primarily decorative. Not that I'm complaining. I'd have preferred that they were both cable-stayed.

roadman65

Quote from: pderocco on November 23, 2022, 02:15:37 AM
The presence of the Leverett Circle Connector Bridge, a basic concrete box girder bridge, right next to the cable-stayed Zakim Bridge kind of proves that the cable-stayed design is primarily decorative. Not that I'm complaining. I'd have preferred that they were both cable-stayed.

According to the site master of a former road site, that I believe was NE2, said the Zakim Bridge was made cablestayed because of its width unlike the one adjacent that is only four lanes and could self support.

This was in a private email in 2003 right after my Boston visit, and I asked about the dig, and the site master answers me real polite and told me about what I wanted to know.

Sheryl Crowe

5foot14

Quote from: roadman65 on November 23, 2022, 01:34:27 AM
Not saying it should or shouldn't be done this way, but just curious to know why the so many complex ramps over a lot of area as supposed to the previous configurations.

Answer satisfied.

The more complex ramp setup was due to the fact that the new Leverett connector created a continuous direct connection between the Tobin bridge and Leverett Circle. Cars traveling between the two no longer have to get on to 93 at all like they did with the original wye interchanges. The extra ramps provide the connections to and from 93.

SM-A515U

shadyjay

When I first started going into Boston, the loop ramps between I-93 and the Tobin had just opened.  I could only imagine the traffic nightmare of trying to merge the old way, especially if you were trying to stay on US 1 (remember US 1 was routed onto Storrow Drive, so you had to merge over in 1/4 mile to stay on).  One has to wonder if I-95 was still routed through Boston and up the Tobin how different the ramp configuration would be, or whether a future Tobin Bridge replacement would keep the ramps as is, or attempt to straighten out the connection to the northeast. 

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: shadyjay on November 24, 2022, 12:52:36 PM
When I first started going into Boston, the loop ramps between I-93 and the Tobin had just opened.  I could only imagine the traffic nightmare of trying to merge the old way, especially if you were trying to stay on US 1 (remember US 1 was routed onto Storrow Drive, so you had to merge over in 1/4 mile to stay on).  One has to wonder if I-95 was still routed through Boston and up the Tobin how different the ramp configuration would be, or whether a future Tobin Bridge replacement would keep the ramps as is, or attempt to straighten out the connection to the northeast.

It was indeed a nightmare to merge and to cross over. Not only that, the old ramps were aging and needed to be replaced by the time of the Big Dig. I think 95 was routed through Boston at one point, missing segments and all. At least on maps it was. As for future improvements, I doubt there would be much change from the status quo. The lasting effect of the Big Dig (besides the improved (and imperfect) highway network and bridges) was cost overruns that have significantly reduced the appetite for big projects.

roadman65

Where is the official end ( southern terminus) of US 3?

The Boston University Bridge or Harvard Bridge?

Sheryl Crowe

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: roadman65 on November 30, 2022, 02:49:30 AM

Not surprisingly, there's a conflict between Internet sources.  Google Maps says it's the BU bridge, whereas Wikipedia states it;s actually at the Longfellow Bridge. It's probably somewhere in between. The Commonwealth itself isn't clear, at least from the signage on Memorial Drive.

roadman65

I don't even think MA 2 is even well signed as it does use the BU Bridge and end at some place in Boston.

That's the confusing part, is signage in Boston is terrible.

Sheryl Crowe

5foot14

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on November 30, 2022, 05:33:56 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 30, 2022, 02:49:30 AM

Not surprisingly, there's a conflict between Internet sources.  Google Maps says it's the BU bridge, whereas Wikipedia states it;s actually at the Longfellow Bridge. It's probably somewhere in between. The Commonwealth itself isn't clear, at least from the signage on Memorial Drive.
According to the MassDOT GIS Route Log, it ends (and MA 3 begins) at the Harvard Bridge intersection on Memorial Drive.

Check the logs here
https://gis.massdot.state.ma.us/mrla/

SM-A515U

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.