Department of Redundancy Department

Started by Brandon, December 26, 2013, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: roadman65 on April 01, 2014, 08:03:31 AM

If one is trying to argue that Clearview isn't easier to read than FHWA, don't use this picture.  :)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

roadman

Quote from: jbnv on April 01, 2014, 09:31:59 AM

If one is trying to argue that Clearview isn't easier to read than FHWA, don't use this picture.  :)
No different that state DOTs replacing 30 year old Highway Gothic BGSes with brand new Clearview ones, and then claiming the improved visibility is due to using a new font.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Zeffy

Quote from: roadman on April 02, 2014, 11:31:15 AM
No different that state DOTs replacing 30 year old Highway Gothic BGSes with brand new Clearview ones, and then claiming the improved visibility is due to using a new font.

Of course, other new BGSes in states that haven't fallen victim to the Clearview bandwagon are perfectly legible, and (usually) don't end up looking like pieces of poop like many Clearview signs do.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

This brought back a small memory, road related.  It was a commercial for 3M, and the claim was the material on their stop signs allowed the sign to be brighter at night than material used by a competitor.

To show the effectivness of the product, they showed a car at a normal 2 lane intersection.  Stop signs were on both sides of the road.  The 3M sign, used on the right, was definitely brighter than the competitor sign on the left. 

What the ad didn't say: Cars stay to the right.  Thus, the sign on the right received the benefits of the headlines shining almost directly on the sign. 

PHLBOS

Not to mention the fact that the new BGS is located closer to the driver than the old BGS.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PColumbus73

Not to mention that all the new signblades (and other signs) are Clearview

Zeffy

Quote from: PColumbus73 on April 02, 2014, 05:46:40 PM
Not to mention that all the new signblades (and other signs) are Clearview

That 'DR' makes me wanna .

myosh_tino

Photo posted at Skyscraper City by ChrisZwolle

Notes:
* One of the replies references the Department of Redundancy Department thread here at AARoads.
* Another reply introduces Alanland to Skyscraper City.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

formulanone

It's for all Interstates One through Five Hundred Ninety-Five, inclusive.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 04, 2014, 02:29:24 PM
Photo posted at Skyscraper City by Chris (He is also a member of this forum ;))

Notes:
* One of the replies references the Department of Redundancy Department thread here at AARoads.

I was about to put that photo here, which was tweeted by... AARoads. The reference to this thread was made by me :sombrero:, I changed my avatar in SSC to a bus route 41 LED display recently. The Alanland post was made by sotonsi, who (I pressume) is english si here.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 04, 2014, 02:29:24 PM

Photo posted at Skyscraper City by ChrisZwolle

Notes:
Dear God.  That "thing" is brand-spankin' new, too.

english si

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 04, 2014, 03:52:49 PMThe Alanland post was made by sotonsi, who (I pressume) is english si here.
yep

ethanhopkin14

Texas loves to do this:

Sorry it is so blurry, but the bottom shields are SH 71 business shields.  There are a lot of instances where Texas has BUSINESS written in the shield itself, then have a second banner above it also saying BUSINESS.  Are there any other states that do this?

Brian556

According to the TxDOT sign crew field book, the double business signage is correct, unfortunately.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Brian556 on April 05, 2014, 04:35:23 PM
According to the TxDOT sign crew field book, the double business signage is correct, unfortunately.

But not always practiced.  I have seen the business on the shield and no banner used as well.

And whats up with the business loop and spur saying "INTERSTATE"in the field book?

Brian556

In Denton County it is not practiced. The word INTERATATE in the shields is just an error, it is not like that in the field.

cjk374

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 05, 2014, 05:40:51 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on April 05, 2014, 04:35:23 PM

But not always practiced.  I have seen the business on the shield and no banner used as well.

And whats up with the business loop and spur saying "INTERSTATE"in the field book?

What does the "A" at the bottom of the shield indicate?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Brian556

Many routes have multiple business routes, each in a different city/town. This identifies them.

1995hoo

Quote from: Brian556 on April 06, 2014, 12:22:48 AM
In Denton County it is not practiced. The word INTERATATE in the shields is just an error, it is not like that in the field.

That's true everywhere.  :bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Brian556 on April 06, 2014, 12:22:48 AM

We'll yeah.  I get ya. But this is in the field book.  No wonder so many errors are made.  You always have to think about who is installing the signs. They are not road buffs. They don't care if it is correct or not, just if their paycheck is on time. You have a field book telling some guy who doesn't know the first thing about the stuff we know what to do that has errors in it!!   Makes me cringe.

Brian556

I was a rare expection. Most sign crew employees are not interested in roads and signs, and do not have engineering knowledge. They really can't do anything beyond repairing damaged signs.

Takumi

Is the road closed sign necessary?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.