News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-5 Kern County

Started by Neel, September 16, 2009, 01:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neel

I just got back from a trip from Buttonwillow this weekend (for the track). Of course I was noticing all the road signs and I was wondering why the cities listed are different when you are going northbound vs. southbound. Our exit was Hwy 58 and going north it reads "Buttonwillow/McKittrick" but southbound it reads "Bakersfield." Although the reason may be since there is no exit for hwy 99 southbound you have to use 58 to get to Bakersfield. But I think it confuses some travelers. The guy in line in front of me at the motel thought he was in Bakersfield and I told him it's still 22 miles away. There are other exits as well that do this (northbound 166 reads "Taft/Maricopa" and southbound "Mettler/Maricopa").

Sykotyk

Because if you were heading north, you'd probably have taken a different road to Bakersfield (CA-99, for example).

But, for southbound, CA-58 is the first logical cut-across road to Bakersfield. Hence, the signage.

Nobody would drive down to CA-99 to turn north to Bakersfield (at least I'd hope not) as that would be quite a detour.

Sykotyk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.