News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-15/Tropicana interchange rebuild

Started by Kniwt, October 01, 2015, 11:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 26, 2022, 11:34:36 PM
They really should initiate a planning study to determine the feasibility of turning Frank Sinatra Dr. And Dean Martin Dr. Texas style one way frontage roads with multiple turn arounds. Traffic can get horrendous on Frank Sinatra drive sometimes. Not sure how this would be done though but it would be a blessing.
An interesting idea, but I don't foresee this happening ever.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: roadfro on April 27, 2022, 10:21:30 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 26, 2022, 11:34:36 PM
They really should initiate a planning study to determine the feasibility of turning Frank Sinatra Dr. And Dean Martin Dr. Texas style one way frontage roads with multiple turn arounds. Traffic can get horrendous on Frank Sinatra drive sometimes. Not sure how this would be done though but it would be a blessing.
An interesting idea, but I don't foresee this happening ever.
Agreed. I don't know else can be done but anything would be an improvement. At this point I just wish we'd get a heavy rail train below Las Vegas boulevard from the airport to downtown. Man would that be amazing.

Plutonic Panda

This project officially kicks off Tuesday.

QuoteGovernor Steve Sisolak will be joined by US Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) at Allegiant Stadium on Tuesday morning for the launch of the I-15/Tropicana Interchange Construction Project.

New resorts, professional sports and sold-out concerts have drawn as many as 300,000 visitors on peak weekends. The I-15/Tropicana Interchange serves as a gateway to the Las Vegas Strip, which continues to grow as the Entertainment and Sports Capital of the World. This project will improve public safety by replacing the nearly 60-year-old Tropicana bridge, as well as accommodate capacity for future growth and access.

The I-15/Tropicana Interchange Project will be funded with help from the President's Infrastructure Law. Construction is set to begin this year and finish in 2024. It's estimated to support 4,664 jobs.

Governor Sisolak and Secretary Buttigieg will be joined by NDOT Director Kristina Swallow, as well as several members and representatives of Nevada's congressional delegation including Senator Catherine Cortez Masto, Senator Jacky Rosen, Congresswoman Dina Titus, Congressman Steven Horsford and Congresswoman Susie Lee.

Media planning to attend are asked to RSVP for further details, including exact timing and parking information.

- https://gov.nv.gov/News/Press/2022/2022-05-26_I-15TropicanaInterchangeProjectKickOff/

Plutonic Panda

Sub-Urbanite

Amazing how it went from $190 million to $305 million and did anyone bat an eye at that?

Kniwt

Report on yesterday's project kickoff, with video and pics, including this rendering of the finished interchange:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/traffic/tropicana-i-15-interchange-upgrade-project-kicks-off-2585021/

roadfro

The LVRJ reports that project work has started to impact traffic.

Work on I-15/Tropicana to begin impacting freeway traffic this week, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 7/25/2022
<...>
Motorists this week will begin to encounter the first major road impacts on I-15 tied to the $305 million reconstruction of the I-15/Tropicana Avenue interchange.

The carpool lanes on both the northbound and southbound sides of I-15 between Warm Springs Road and Tropicana will be closed 24/7 starting Thursday and continuing through Aug. 25, the Nevada Department of Transportation announced Monday.

Additionally, varying overnight lane reductions of I-15 will take place beginning Monday night. The lane closures are needed for crews to pour foundations for 10 new dynamic messaging signs on the freeway.
<...>
Sometime after the HOV lanes reopen to traffic on Aug. 25 they will be utilized as general purpose lanes for about 18 months while other I-15 lane closures are in place. NDOT will announce those specific dates at a later time and the ATM signs will note when the lanes are open to all motorists.

Aside from the I-15 work, an upcoming traffic shift on Dean Martin Drive is slated to occur tied to the project.
<...>
The sign installation work is part of phase 1 of the I-15/Tropicana project. The initial phase is planned to last until early 2023. The almost three-year project is planned to be substantially completed at the end of 2024, with full project close out eyed for mid-2025.
<...>

Also just found that there is a dedicated project website: www.i15trop.com
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

The article title speaks for itself.

I-15/Trop revamping is about to get serious, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 11/21/2022
As the $305 million revamp of the Interstate 15-Tropicana Avenue interchange continues, motorists who routinely travel the area need to stay current on the latest progress.
<...>
The project will be carried out in four phases, with it currently in Phase 1.

In December, widening work will occur on Tropicana between Dean Martin Drive and Polaris Avenue. This work will be done in three sections.

The first section, set to begin in late December or early January, will shift all traffic on Tropicana to the outside lanes in both directions while crews demolish the median. That's needed to allow for traffic shifts as the widening occurs.
<...>
The biggest upcoming traffic impacts are tentatively expected to begin in mid-January when crews begin to partially reconstruct the I-15 southbound to Tropicana eastbound flyover ramp and start to demolish the Tropicana bridge over I-15.

Lane restrictions tied to the Tropicana-focused work include I-15 in both directions, Tropicana and the freeway ramps in the area and on Frank Sinatra Drive. This work will last through fall 2023.

Additionally, the Harmon half-interchange where high-occupancy vehicle drop lanes going from I-15 northbound to Harmon and from Harmon to I-15 southbound will be constructed and in use by fall 2023.
<...>

roadfro

"Dropicana" is coming.

I was down in Vegas when I first heard about this, but neglected to post. User skluth posted this in another thread and I thought I'd cross-post:
Quote from: skluth on January 14, 2023, 01:38:53 PM
Saw this construction update on my visit this week to LV. Glad I didn't postpone my trip.

Major Closure of I-15 and Tropicana will shutdown roads for several days for "Dropicana"
Dropicana is a part of Phase 2 of the I-15 Tropicana Project

By: Zora AsberryPosted at 12:06 PM, Jan 13, 2023 and last updated 6:58 AM, Jan 14, 2023
LAS VEGAS (KTNV) – Commuters who travel along the I-15 North and South, as well as east and westbound Tropicana, will see some major traffic changes in the coming days.​

It's all due to phase two of the I-15 Tropicana Project – which will replace a nearly 60-year-old bridge, overpass and ramps.

NDOT spokesperson Justin Hopkins spoke with KTNV to find out exactly how this next phase will impact commuters.

"We called it 'Dropicana,' because we're dropping and taking down several different structures," Hopkins said. "So, half of the Tropicana Avenue Bridge over I-15 is coming down."

​The removal of the Tropicana Avenue bridge will close down east and westbound lanes for eight days next week.

​"We're also taking down about half of the flyover that goes from southbound I-15 to eastbound Tropicana," Hopkins added. "That's the big flyover that you take when you're heading down to Las Vegas Boulevard, to the strip and all the resorts."

Here's a timeline of what drivers can expect:

On ​Tuesday, Jan. 17, the I-15 southbound ramps to Tropicana east and westbound will be closed.​

Hopkins says, "The westbound ramp will be closed for nine months, while the eastbound flyover is going to be closed for 18 months while we rebuild the flyovers"​

On Sunday, ​Jan. 22, crews will begin closing Tropicana Avenue in both directions from Dean Martin to New York, New York until Jan. 30th.

This closure will force drivers to have to find a way around the construction – specifically, drivers who are a part of the bustling service industry on the Las Vegas Strip.

"Folks who use southbound I-15 to get to either the businesses or some of the great resorts on Tropicana, they're gonna have to find a new way to get down there for the long term," Hopkins said.

​The biggest impact on traffic will happen on Jan. 27, when crews will begin a full closure of I-15 North and South that will last nearly three whole days, beginning Friday night at 10:00 p.m.

I-15 will be closed from Flamingo Road in the north until Russell Road in the South. Both directions are on schedule to reopen by 5:00 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 30.

​Suggested detours would be to take I-15 North to the I-215 western beltway to get to Summerlin Parkway, Centennial Hills or Aliante. Commuters can also take I-15 to the I-215 eastern beltway to US-95 to get to downtown and North Las Vegas.

For real-time traffic updates, visit https://www.ktnv.com/traffic.

NDOT video that they've put out on various social media warning area drivers to plan ahead for the Dropicana closures:
https://youtu.be/vGhIAJrCpb0

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

NDOT posted a "last drive" over the existing SB-to-EB Tropicana flyover before the Dropicana began:
https://youtu.be/gshccNO-_Hw

That flyover was the first of three southbound flyovers to be constructed along I-15 (later ramps were built at Sahara & Spring Mountain), and was one of the first third-level freeway ramps to be constructed in Nevada.

Scott5114

Is...Is Nevada DOT normally like this?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadfro

Not really. I think they're trying to drive home the fact that the "Dropicana" element of this project is going to cause significant delay for a couple weeks and the fact that this will be a long-term closure of the southbound off-ramp.

Although, I will say ever since the I-405 "Carmageddon" thing Caltrans did several years ago, NDOT is more apt to come up with cutsey names like this for particular phases of large projects...

roadfro

This article has photos of the recent I-15 "Dropicana" closure. So unusual to have the busiest section of freeway in the state have a full closure for several days.

Rare US scene: Major interstate closed all weekend – PHOTOS, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 1/28/2023

Here's one more photo of the demolition work in progress, from this article that also talks about the overall success of the closure and next phases of construction:

One I-15 closure down, one to go: NDOT happy with "˜Dropicana' work, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 1/30/2023

Motorists survived the first of two planned full shutdowns of Interstate 15 related to the I-15/Tropicana Avenue interchange project known as "Dropicana."

The Nevada Department of Transportation said it is pleased with how drivers navigated the closure of I-15 in both directions between Russell and Flamingo roads from late Friday night into early Monday morning.

"We saw significantly reduced traffic volumes,"  NDOT spokesman Justin Hopkins said. "It appears drivers heeded the warnings to avoid the area and others used appropriate detours to get around. The work to remove the northern half of the Tropicana bridge was efficient, and we were able to reopen both Tropicana and I-15 ahead of schedule."

Between Dean Martin Drive and the New York-New York, Tropicana was closed to traffic for eight days and also reopened Monday. The Tropicana bridge over I-15 reopened to two lanes in each direction, with a temporary traffic pattern known as a diverging diamond interchange.

"A DDI is designed to reduce congestion and improve safety and efficiency, especially during times of construction when the road has reduced capacity,"  Hopkins said. "The DDI allows for continuous traffic flow during construction, reducing the need for detours. The DDI reduces the potential for collisions and improves safety for drivers. The DDI design reduces the number of conflict points and allows for a smoother traffic flow during construction."

There are three other diverging diamond interchanges in Southern Nevada – Horizon Drive at U.S. Highway 95 in Henderson, Kyle Canyon Road at U.S. 95, and the lanes under I-15 at U.S. 95, Hopkins noted.

"Drivers on Tropicana will notice new barriers and temporary signals helping guide them through the DDI,"  he said. "We recognize that it will take a little getting used to, but we are confident drivers will adapt quickly."
<...>
The current phase of the I-15/Tropicana project is aimed at rebuilding the northern half of the Tropicana bridge. Once that is completed, traffic on Tropicana will be shifted to the new bridge, and the southern side will be demolished and rebuilt.

To allow for the southern half of the Tropicana bridge to be rebuilt, another full closure of I-15 is planned in Phase 3 of the project.

NDOT anticipates that will come in the fall, when crews demolish the southern half of the Tropicana overpass. The exact dates will be announced as that work draws near.
<...>

An error in that article, describing the other DDIs: The third one is the lanes under I-15 at U.S. 93 (not 95).

I didn't know they'd be implementing a temporary DDI on the Tropicana structure. But in thinking about it, that is probably the most efficient way to keep through traffic moving, especially in dealing with left turn movements to the on ramps on a bridge structure with reduced lanes.

Occidental Tourist

Here's what the interchange currently looks like during the weekday evening rush hour:

gonealookin

With the Oakland A's signing a purchase agreement for land to build a baseball stadium at the northwest corner of Tropicana and Dean Martin Drive, I can envision a separate pedestrian (and possibly bus) bridge being added, crossing Frank Sinatra Drive, I-15 and Dean Martin Drive and more or less connecting T-Mobile Arena with the new ballpark.  You're going to need to move a lot of people from The Strip to the ballpark for 81 major league baseball games per season.  It wouldn't literally be a part of this NDOT project as a ballpark agreement won't be finalized for several more months at least, but it's another improvement I'd expect to see in this area if the ballpark deal does happen.

DenverBrian

Quote from: gonealookin on April 20, 2023, 08:46:59 PM
With the Oakland A's signing a purchase agreement for land to build a baseball stadium at the northwest corner of Tropicana and Dean Martin Drive, I can envision a separate pedestrian (and possibly bus) bridge being added, crossing Frank Sinatra Drive, I-15 and Dean Martin Drive and more or less connecting T-Mobile Arena with the new ballpark.  You're going to need to move a lot of people from The Strip to the ballpark for 81 major league baseball games per season.  It wouldn't literally be a part of this NDOT project as a ballpark agreement won't be finalized for several more months at least, but it's another improvement I'd expect to see in this area if the ballpark deal does happen.
That looks like a very tight squeeze for a ballpark and associated parking at that spot.

gonealookin

Quote from: DenverBrian on April 22, 2023, 10:59:17 PM
That looks like a very tight squeeze for a ballpark and associated parking at that spot.

No, that's not right; the purchase agreement is for 49 acres of land west of Dean Martin Drive and north of Tropicana.  I think Target Field in Minneapolis is on about 8 acres, and Fenway Park in Boston is about the same.  So 49 acres is plenty.  They are talking about an "Entertainment District" on some of the acreage outside the ballpark; not sure why Vegas would need any more of that, especially on the west side of I-15 away from The Strip.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: gonealookin on April 22, 2023, 11:29:31 PM

No, that's not right; the purchase agreement is for 49 acres of land west of Dean Martin Drive and north of Tropicana.  I think Target Field in Minneapolis is on about 8 acres, and Fenway Park in Boston is about the same.  So 49 acres is plenty.  They are talking about an "Entertainment District" on some of the acreage outside the ballpark; not sure why Vegas would need any more of that, especially on the west side of I-15 away from The Strip.

That 49 acres suggests that the plot might be something like this, maybe:
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

skluth

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 23, 2023, 12:10:48 AM
Quote from: gonealookin on April 22, 2023, 11:29:31 PM

That 49 acres suggests that the plot might be something like this, maybe:
(image deleted)

I think you've got it right. I also measured it at about 49 acres. Entertainment districts around ballparks of all sports are big these days as teams are trying to make their stadiums more than a gameday experience. They also make the land more valuable than just a stadium surrounded by parking lots. I've seen what's been done around Lambeau Field in Green Bay and it's impressive - and certainly a better use (and aesthetically nicer looking) than before though Lambeau still has a sea of parking around it. I was surprised the Raiders didn't do this with their new stadium which is a dead zone outside of the ten or so game days/year.

gonealookin makes a great point about building a new bridge across I-15. It would greatly help access from the Strip. I don't know if one could be incorporated into the current Tropicana interchange rebuild, but it's the perfect time to build one as traffic is already being disrupted.

Sub-Urbanite

Man, if we thought a lot pedestrians died trying to drunkenly run across I-15 *before* this...

roadfro

Quote from: skluth on April 23, 2023, 12:03:49 PM
gonealookin makes a great point about building a new bridge across I-15. It would greatly help access from the Strip. I don't know if one could be incorporated into the current Tropicana interchange rebuild, but it's the perfect time to build one as traffic is already being disrupted.

The current project is already going to include new 10-foot wide sidewalks on the new Tropicana bridge, and a new pedestrian walkway between Tropicana and Arena Dr (the access road south of T-Mobile Arena). So a separate pedestrian bridge seems unlikely to happen. I think they were already partially envisioning wider sidewalks on Tropicana to serve as an alternate pedestrian access route to Allegiant Stadium.

This is a kinda nice idea, though. If there was a pedestrian bridge connection from where Park Ave (the road adjacent to T-Mobile Arena) meets Frank Sinatra Dr, going directly west over I-15, it could potentially touch down right in the center of the proposed ballpark development. That would be a nicer pedestrian route, since Park Ave is already basically the same kind of outdoor mall/plaza entertainment district connecting T-Mobile Arena to the Strip.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: roadfro on April 24, 2023, 02:03:34 PM

The current project is already going to include new 10-foot wide sidewalks on the new Tropicana bridge, and a new pedestrian walkway between Tropicana and Arena Dr (the access road south of T-Mobile Arena). So a separate pedestrian bridge seems unlikely to happen. I think they were already partially envisioning wider sidewalks on Tropicana to serve as an alternate pedestrian access route to Allegiant Stadium.

This is a kinda nice idea, though. If there was a pedestrian bridge connection from where Park Ave (the road adjacent to T-Mobile Arena) meets Frank Sinatra Dr, going directly west over I-15, it could potentially touch down right in the center of the proposed ballpark development. That would be a nicer pedestrian route, since Park Ave is already basically the same kind of outdoor mall/plaza entertainment district connecting T-Mobile Arena to the Strip.

I don't care about a new pedestrian bridge — though one would be nice — but more substantial fencing is needed. The 6 foot chain links just don't stop humans from unintentionally ending their lives on that freeway.

The Ghostbuster

The Tropicana Interchange name brings to mind the 1983 Wham! song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYX0sjP6Za8.

Rothman

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on April 24, 2023, 05:06:05 PM

I don't care about a new pedestrian bridge — though one would be nice — but more substantial fencing is needed. The 6 foot chain links just don't stop humans from unintentionally ending their lives on that freeway.
Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on April 24, 2023, 05:06:05 PM

I don't care about a new pedestrian bridge — though one would be nice — but more substantial fencing is needed. The 6 foot chain links just don't stop humans from unintentionally ending their lives on that freeway.

Have to be pretty intentional to climb up and over a six-foot fence.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.