Regional Boards > Central States

Cashless Tolling coming soon to Oklahoma

<< < (2/28) > >>

kphoger:

--- Quote from: 1 on February 05, 2021, 10:24:45 AM ---

--- Quote from: kphoger on February 05, 2021, 10:16:54 AM ---

--- Quote from: Baloo Uriza on February 05, 2021, 10:14:19 AM ---Is that even legal?  Seems like if you want payment, cash payment needs to be an option, even if it is legal just because of the large unbanked population.

--- End quote ---

How is less legal than the existing cashless facilities in Texas?

--- End quote ---

I don't think the ones in Texas are legal, either. Cash is legal tender for all debts. Since they don't let you turn around at the toll booth, once you take the entrance ramp, you have incurred a debt.

--- End quote ---

But they will still accept your dollars electronically.  It's my understanding that such fulfils the law:  dollars are still accepted, even if paper ones aren't.

Baloo Uriza:

--- Quote from: kphoger on February 05, 2021, 10:16:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: Baloo Uriza on February 05, 2021, 10:14:19 AM ---

--- Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 05, 2021, 02:15:52 AM ---https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/house-bill-moves-fully-automated-cashless-turnpike-system-into-fast-lane/article_8f3bd50a-6710-11eb-bb95-ab0ce6aeba6d.html

Well, cash will be starting to be no longer be accepted on the Oklahoma Turnpike system starting in July with the Kilpatrick Turnpike. I guess that COVID sped up the cashless tolling in several states like California (Bay Area Toll Authority), Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania Turnpike system), Maryland, Illinois and now Oklahoma.

--- End quote ---

Is that even legal?  Seems like if you want payment, cash payment needs to be an option, even if it is legal just because of the large unbanked population.

--- End quote ---

How is less legal than the existing cashless facilities in Texas?

--- End quote ---

I question whether that's legal, too.

Bobby5280:
If cashless tolling was somehow illegal we would have seen a tide of lawsuits over it by now.

I vastly prefer having a PikePass and being able to drive through a properly designed toll plaza at normal highway speed. Too much stupidity happens in the cash only lanes.

I really wish OTA would get off its dead @$$ and replace that ratty, dilapidated toll booth on I-44 at the Walters Exit. I'm guessing in order for that problem to get the OTA's attention it will literally take a vehicle falling through the crumbling bridge into the toll booths! With a 100% cash-less setup they will have to do at least some sort of renovation on that structure. It's going to really suck if we keep having to slow down to 25mph to go through a toll booth that is no longer occupied by people.

--- Quote from: 1 ---Cash is legal tender for all debts.
--- End quote ---

That's not a blanket policy in reality. Retail stores can refuse bills above a certain amount. It's very common for convenience stores to refuse anything larger than a $20 bill.

Several years ago I witnessed a JERK inside a local convenience store angrily chewing out the cashier because she wouldn't take the guy's $100 bill. He was yelling out a lot of "this is legal tender" crap. I was getting sick of this since I just wanted to pay for my soft drink and get out of there. When he started insulting the lady I lost my cool and tore into the guy. I told him he was a coward for yelling at a store employee who was powerless to talk back to him (unless she wanted to get fired). She's not getting paid nearly enough to put up with that $#!+. I told him to stop being such a douchebag and get out a smaller bill, "no one is impressed that you have $100 bills in your wallet!"

Of course we have the other syndrome where people will pay for pack of chewing gum with a credit card. And then there are still people who will write out a paper check at the cash register. I imagine some people try paying for their turnpike tolls with a paper check at the toll booth. All the more reason to have a PikePass.

1:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 05, 2021, 11:05:03 AM ---
--- End quote ---

That's not a blanket policy in reality. Retail stores can refuse bills above a certain amount. It's very common for convenience stores to refuse anything larger than a $20 bill.

Several years ago I witnessed a JERK inside a local convenience store angrily chewing out the cashier because she wouldn't take the guy's $100 bill. He was yelling out a lot of "this is legal tender" crap. I was getting sick of this since I just wanted to pay for my soft drink and get out of there. When he started insulting the lady I lost my cool and tore into the guy. I told him he was a coward for yelling at a store employee who was powerless to talk back to him (unless she wanted to get fired). She's not getting paid nearly enough to put up with that $#!+. I told him to stop being such a douchebag and get out a smaller bill, "no one is impressed that you have $100 bills in your wallet!"

--- End quote ---

That's not a debt, as you don't receive the item before paying.

Baloo Uriza:

--- Quote from: 1 on February 05, 2021, 11:08:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 05, 2021, 11:05:03 AM ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

That's not a debt, as you don't receive the item before paying.

--- End quote ---

Not just that but "don't use an unreasonable denomination" is definitely a reasonable request.  It's customary to pick a denomination that covers the amount required while requiring smallest amount of change in return.  Not customary, and probably illegal, is "you can't use cash at all".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version