News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dominionite

I've recently noticed some newer street signs in Prince William and Chesterfield Counties that include the secondary route number (like you see in North Carolina) and -- consequently -- eliminate the need for a separate white blade sign. Anyone know if this a pilot project or a type of new partnership between the counties and VDOT? While I think the white blade signs have some navigational benefit for major secondary routes, as well as in rural areas, I think they're a waste of money in suburban neighborhoods and along minor residential streets. Affixing the route number to the street sign in these areas makes more sense.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Old Dominionite on March 06, 2022, 03:43:04 PM
I've recently noticed some newer street signs in Prince William and Chesterfield Counties that include the secondary route number (like you see in North Carolina) and -- consequently -- eliminate the need for a separate white blade sign. Anyone know if this a pilot project or a type of new partnership between the counties and VDOT? While I think the white blade signs have some navigational benefit for major secondary routes, as well as in rural areas, I think they're a waste of money in suburban neighborhoods and along minor residential streets. Affixing the route number to the street sign in these areas makes more sense.

This has been going on in Prince William County for at least 15 years...

Dirt Roads

Streetblade installations vary throughout North Carolina, but outside of municipalities they are installed and maintained by the various NCDOT districts.  I'm pretty sure that VDOT still uses the little white signs attached to Stop signs for SR state secondary routes, and the streetblades are installed and maintained by the municipalities and counties themselves (or other jurisdictions).

Old Dominionite

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 06, 2022, 07:46:06 PM

Well, this goes to show how often I'm in Prince William County.  :D

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Old Dominionite on March 07, 2022, 02:07:25 AM

It seems to depend on the county. A number of counties in the Charlottesville area do the same thing, and Powhatan County used to do it but I don't think they do anymore. Stafford County recently started doing it.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

plain

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 07, 2022, 09:00:43 AM

It seems to depend on the county. A number of counties in the Charlottesville area do the same thing, and Powhatan County used to do it but I don't think they do anymore. Stafford County recently started doing it.

Chesterfield County have definitely been using them since the 1990's at least.
Newark born, Richmond bred

plain

Quote from: Old Dominionite on March 06, 2022, 03:36:27 PM
Quote from: plain on February 20, 2022, 05:25:01 PM
Improvements coming to the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/jamestown-ferry-gets-2-million-for-modernization-effort/

I took the ferry from Scotland to Jamestown this morning. Noticed a lot of yard signs on VA 31 north of Surry opposing a road widening. I assume this is a proposed project distinct from the funding mentioned above. There also appeared to be construction already underway at the north shore (i.e. Jamestown) slips.

Those residents might be misinformed about something or just heard some rumors or something. The only "widening" I can see happening there is maybe a better shoulder. Definitely no additional lanes.

1995hoo

Quote from: plain on March 07, 2022, 09:24:14 AM

I note that some of the jurisdictions that use those signs (Albemarle County is one) will put "PRIVATE" when the road is owned and maintained by someone other than the government, such as an HOA.

It's mildly interesting to me that I live on an HOA street and no street number is posted on the stop sign down the end of the block, whereas the next street over–which is also an HOA street–does have a street number posted on one of the ubiquitous white rectangular signs (Fairfax County doesn't put the route number on the street sign).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Quote from: plain on March 07, 2022, 09:30:18 AM

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/jamestown-ferry-gets-2-million-for-modernization-effort/

I took the ferry from Scotland to Jamestown this morning. Noticed a lot of yard signs on VA 31 north of Surry opposing a road widening. I assume this is a proposed project distinct from the funding mentioned above. There also appeared to be construction already underway at the north shore (i.e. Jamestown) slips.

Those residents might be misinformed about something or just heard some rumors or something. The only "widening" I can see happening there is maybe a better shoulder. Definitely no additional lanes.

Likely referring to adding a bike lane from the ferry to Surry...

https://www.smithfieldtimes.com/2021/07/06/federal-money-earmarked-for-surry-bike-trail/

Takumi

Yep. Started in the early 90s. You can still find some of the older, smaller signs they used prior to that scattered around the county. Despite this, some new assemblies have the white number sign.

York County is another county that does it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on March 07, 2022, 12:55:44 PM

Yep. Started in the early 90s. You can still find some of the older, smaller signs they used prior to that scattered around the county. Despite this, some new assemblies have the white number sign.

Interestingly, some signs labeling route numbers have also popped up in the City of Williamsburg, despite there being no SR's in the city limits.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

plain

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 07, 2022, 12:15:40 PM

https://www.smithfieldtimes.com/2021/07/06/federal-money-earmarked-for-surry-bike-trail/

Seems like they're afraid that the bike lane is going to lead to the rural character there being disturbed, which I don't see happening bike lane or not.

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 07, 2022, 03:07:27 PM
Quote from: Takumi on March 07, 2022, 12:55:44 PM

Interestingly, some signs labeling route numbers have also popped up in the City of Williamsburg, despite there being no SR's in the city limits.

You're correct in there being no Secondaries in the city, but being that 143 is Primary, it's good.

sprjus4

Quote from: plain on March 07, 2022, 11:56:49 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on March 07, 2022, 12:15:40 PM

Seems like they're afraid that the bike lane is going to lead to the rural character there being disturbed, which I don't see happening bike lane or not.
It hasn't seemed to change anything on VA-5.

VTGoose

Work is starting on the next section of I-81 in the Roanoke Valley to add additional lanes to a congested section of the interstate. When done, this will tie in with the new lanes added from I-581 south to just north of exit 141. The new lanes will end just south of exit 137, the first Salem exit when heading north from Christiansburg, roughly about where the speed limit drops from 65 to 60. Plastic erosion barriers are already being installed on the outside of the northbound lanes in preparation for the shoulder work.

"The purpose of this project is to provide additional capacity and improve safety by adding an additional lane in both directions of Interstate 81 between mile markers 136.6 and 141.8.

Starting in February 2022 and continuing into the early summer, work on this project, the first widening project of the Interstate 81 Corridor Improvement Program, will begin. Work will start on the inside and outside shoulders along a five mile section of both northbound and southbound Interstate 81 in Roanoke County and the city of Salem. The shoulder strengthening is a part of $179 million design-build project to widen both directions of I-81 between mile markers 136.6 and 141.8 from two to three lanes."  https://www.virginiadot.org/projects/salem/interstate-81-widening-exit-137-to-141---roanoke-county-and-city-of-salem.asp

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Ted$8roadFan

MASTERNC

Quote from: VTGoose on March 18, 2022, 08:56:06 AM
Work is starting on the next section of I-81 in the Roanoke Valley to add additional lanes to a congested section of the interstate. When done, this will tie in with the new lanes added from I-581 south to just north of exit 141. The new lanes will end just south of exit 137, the first Salem exit when heading north from Christiansburg, roughly about where the speed limit drops from 65 to 60. Plastic erosion barriers are already being installed on the outside of the northbound lanes in preparation for the shoulder work.

"The purpose of this project is to provide additional capacity and improve safety by adding an additional lane in both directions of Interstate 81 between mile markers 136.6 and 141.8.

Starting in February 2022 and continuing into the early summer, work on this project, the first widening project of the Interstate 81 Corridor Improvement Program, will begin. Work will start on the inside and outside shoulders along a five mile section of both northbound and southbound Interstate 81 in Roanoke County and the city of Salem. The shoulder strengthening is a part of $179 million design-build project to widen both directions of I-81 between mile markers 136.6 and 141.8 from two to three lanes."  https://www.virginiadot.org/projects/salem/interstate-81-widening-exit-137-to-141---roanoke-county-and-city-of-salem.asp

Bruce in Blacksburg

And it looks like a hearing is planned about widening I-81 up near I-66

https://virginiadot.org/newsroom/staunton/2022/vdot-schedules-public-hearing-to-widen-i-81-southbound-near-strasburg3-18-2022.asp

LM117

Northampton County put the brakes on VDOT's two proposed R-cuts for US-13 in Exmore.

https://shoredailynews.com/headlines/northampton-nixes-vdot-proposal-for-first-rcuts-on-rt-13/
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

VTGoose

VDOT is planning on three new truck climbing lanes, two in Washington Co. One is near MM 32 NB near Glade Spring, the other near MM 34 SB near the Smyth Co. line, and the third near Exit 39 near Seven Mile Ford in Smyth Co.

VDOT has a series of podcasts about improvements on I-81, this one is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOxM57QKcfs

Bruce in Blacksburg

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

froggie

Are these climbing lanes part of the I-81 package they'd announced a year or so ago?  Or are they even newer than that?

roadman65

I don't see it here, so I am assuming that the proposed US 33 Extension into NC on Facebook is a crazy idea. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

^Well if you want to share that idea with us in Fictional, that would be fine.   ;-)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 26, 2022, 04:10:02 PM
^Well if you want to share that idea with us in Fictional, that would be fine.   ;-)

No, I was wondering if that crazy idea was true. Not my suggestion nor my proposal, but the way this Facebook post said it like it was true.

In fact I am inclined to say no, it's not as no one mentioned it.  However that doesn't mean either it is or isn't.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on March 26, 2022, 06:47:56 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 26, 2022, 04:10:02 PM

No, I was wondering if that crazy idea was true. Not my suggestion nor my proposal, but the way this Facebook post said it like it was true.

In fact I am inclined to say no, it's not as no one mentioned it.  However that doesn't mean either it is or isn't.

I responded with the thought of,  "This is so absurd that it should have originally been posted in fictional" because I am pretty certain that a US 33 Extension into NC is not a thing.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

Difficult to evaluate without actually seeing it.

No CTB meeting has floated extending US 33 anywhere, though in modern times the CTB generally doesn't have that kind of information anymore.  US route changes seem to be learned only through AASHTO applications after the fact or someone runs into new postings in the field.

That said, there is no logic to extending US 33 south or southeast from Richmond.  Only potential paths are VA 10 or VA 35 and neither need to be a US route corridor.  Now, an extension east over VA 33 to US 17?  That would make some sense.

roadman65

Yeah well it can't hurt to ask. Plus we have Fritzowl here making such weird ideas, I was wondering if it was something like him on Facebook ( I'm sure he is not using that handle or user name there), so I'm not going to ask a question about an extension of an existing highway extension on Fictional Highways for an answer.

If I was promoting the idea or suggesting one myself yes.  My bad, I should have asked the question straight out.  However, when using my phone at work with only a few minutes I tend to rush it and not complete my intention.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.