News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

The Virginia Highways Project has just completed a huge update!

The AASHO database has been poured over and items related to Virginia have been incorporated into the site.

27 new US route designations were found (including bannered routes) , 2 new interstate designations and 1 new Y state route as well.

All US route families were broken into individual pages with the additional information and more mapscans.

How does US 221 relate to US 9, US 33, US 86, US 360 and US 460?
Where was the first US 33/VA 33 transition point?
How is it that US 17-1 is NOT the weirdest designation considered for that corridor?
Did Virginia ever request an official US Y route?
What were the mystery US route corridors?

Many terrific nuggets to be found...

The AASHO database also had a draft of the 1933 great renumbering, and there are some differences.  Routes affected were VA 9, VA 10, VA 25, VA 40, VA 48, VA 52, VA 61, VA 86 and VA 109.

Also all the state routes 321-340 were broken into individual pages with more info/mapscans.

All can be found at the Virginia Hwys Page

hbelkins

Where was this US 33 extension proposed? I'm in several road groups on FB but have not seen it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ARMOURERERIC

Without viewing the site, I do know that once a street I used to live on, Huntington Ave in Newport News, had the designation US 60Y

Mapmikey

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 27, 2022, 05:48:28 PM
Without viewing the site, I do know that once a street I used to live on, Huntington Ave in Newport News, had the designation US 60Y

Virginia had several US Y routes but to my knowledge they only requested one from AASHO once (1940s) and it was denied.

Alps

Drove I-81 today from 77 up. The first few hours were MISERABLE. Every time a truck passed another truck it would back up half a mile of cars. There was literally a miles-long queue that I took 2 hours to work my way up to the front, caused by truck after truck and slow car after slow car gradually bollocksing things up. The ONE 3-lane stretch of 81 NB ended that. Still... desperately needs to be widened throughout the state.

VTGoose

Quote from: froggie on March 25, 2022, 12:46:26 PM
Are these climbing lanes part of the I-81 package they'd announced a year or so ago?  Or are they even newer than that?

These projects are part of the I-81 Improvement Plan, along with various other projects that are starting to show up. Design and funding started a few years ago and we are starting to see results. Other small items, like improved markings of curves, etc., have already been completed in some areas. It will be a long process. A lot more could have been completed by now had the right plans been agreed to back when the first major study was done (one sticking point was the idea of truck-only lanes that no one could really get behind, so the whole package died a slow death).

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 27, 2022, 11:55:12 AM
The Virginia Highways Project has just completed a huge update!

The AASHO database has been poured over and items related to Virginia have been incorporated into the site.

27 new US route designations were found (including bannered routes) , 2 new interstate designations and 1 new Y state route as well.

All US route families were broken into individual pages with the additional information and more mapscans.

How does US 221 relate to US 9, US 33, US 86, US 360 and US 460?
Where was the first US 33/VA 33 transition point?
How is it that US 17-1 is NOT the weirdest designation considered for that corridor?
Did Virginia ever request an official US Y route?
What were the mystery US route corridors?

Many terrific nuggets to be found...

The AASHO database also had a draft of the 1933 great renumbering, and there are some differences.  Routes affected were VA 9, VA 10, VA 25, VA 40, VA 48, VA 52, VA 61, VA 86 and VA 109.

Also all the state routes 321-340 were broken into individual pages with more info/mapscans.

All can be found at the Virginia Hwys Page

"FLAGAVALINA Hwy" is something else. Interesting stuff, looking forward to reading it all.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Jmiles32

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/officials-tout-upcoming-route-234-brentsville-road-improvements/article_bb027ffa-af11-11ec-a5b0-8b07d662602f.html
QuoteWork is officially underway on the much-maligned Route 234-Brentsville Road intersection, with officials from the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority and Prince William County breaking ground Monday on a new $55 million interchange that will eventually remove the two back-to-back traffic lights at the interchange.

The county plans to build two new bridges to separate Route 234, Brentsville Road and the Prince William Parkway (Route 294). A continuous green-T intersection will allow for one direction of travel on 234 to pass through uninterrupted, and the bridges will divert traffic moving north and south over the parkway, carrying vehicles to and from Brentsville Road without any stops. Three new traffic lights, including the green-T intersection, will connect Prince William Parkway and Bradley Cemetery Way, maintaining a free-flow of traffic on the parkway.

The project is being fully funded by the NVTA in the hopes of improving the flow of traffic and better connecting U.S. 1, Interstate 95 and Interstate 66. The improvement was first conceptualized by the Virginia Department of Transportation in 1994, with traffic along the corridor increasing steadily in the decades since. According to VDOT data from 2019, the section of Route 234 between U.S. 29 and Dumfries Road carries about 47,000 trips on an average weekday, while the section of 234 from Prince William Parkway to Olympic Drive carries roughly 43,000.

At a groundbreaking ceremony along 234 in what's being used as a staging ground by Wagman Construction — the project's design-build contractor — Board of County Supervisors Chair Ann Wheeler said the 234 corridor is vital for Prince William residents.

"This project is also an integral part of larger mobility plans in the western end of Prince William County, along the Route 234 corridor ... Ultimately, this project is designed to reduce congestion bottlenecks on Route 234-Brentsville by allowing free-flow traffic for the most congested movements,"  Wheeler told those assembled Monday morning. "It will also improve the multimodal transportation network within the Coles district, where we are today, due to construction of shared-use paths for pedestrians and cyclists in and out of the interchange."

Glad to see this surprisingly cheap project getting underway as it, along with the new Balls Ford Road interchange will improve the VA-234 corridor tremendously. However, in order to maximize these benefits, PWC needs to find a way to fund the Sudley Manor Drive Interchange/Wellington Road Bridge project ASAP as the recent cuts to the state/regional transportation budget will likely only make this beneficial project ($180 million last time I checked) more and more unlikely. Would be disappointed but not surprised if the county ends up resorting to a solution similar to that at University Blvd.

Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

kernals12

Quote from: Jmiles32 on March 29, 2022, 09:13:47 PM
https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/officials-tout-upcoming-route-234-brentsville-road-improvements/article_bb027ffa-af11-11ec-a5b0-8b07d662602f.html
QuoteWork is officially underway on the much-maligned Route 234-Brentsville Road intersection, with officials from the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority and Prince William County breaking ground Monday on a new $55 million interchange that will eventually remove the two back-to-back traffic lights at the interchange.

The county plans to build two new bridges to separate Route 234, Brentsville Road and the Prince William Parkway (Route 294). A continuous green-T intersection will allow for one direction of travel on 234 to pass through uninterrupted, and the bridges will divert traffic moving north and south over the parkway, carrying vehicles to and from Brentsville Road without any stops. Three new traffic lights, including the green-T intersection, will connect Prince William Parkway and Bradley Cemetery Way, maintaining a free-flow of traffic on the parkway.

The project is being fully funded by the NVTA in the hopes of improving the flow of traffic and better connecting U.S. 1, Interstate 95 and Interstate 66. The improvement was first conceptualized by the Virginia Department of Transportation in 1994, with traffic along the corridor increasing steadily in the decades since. According to VDOT data from 2019, the section of Route 234 between U.S. 29 and Dumfries Road carries about 47,000 trips on an average weekday, while the section of 234 from Prince William Parkway to Olympic Drive carries roughly 43,000.

At a groundbreaking ceremony along 234 in what's being used as a staging ground by Wagman Construction — the project's design-build contractor — Board of County Supervisors Chair Ann Wheeler said the 234 corridor is vital for Prince William residents.

"This project is also an integral part of larger mobility plans in the western end of Prince William County, along the Route 234 corridor ... Ultimately, this project is designed to reduce congestion bottlenecks on Route 234-Brentsville by allowing free-flow traffic for the most congested movements,"  Wheeler told those assembled Monday morning. "It will also improve the multimodal transportation network within the Coles district, where we are today, due to construction of shared-use paths for pedestrians and cyclists in and out of the interchange."

Glad to see this surprisingly cheap project getting underway as it, along with the new Balls Ford Road interchange will improve the VA-234 corridor tremendously. However, in order to maximize these benefits, PWC needs to find a way to fund the Sudley Manor Drive Interchange/Wellington Road Bridge project ASAP as the recent cuts to the state/regional transportation budget will likely only make this beneficial project ($180 million last time I checked) more and more unlikely. Would be disappointed but not be surprised if the county ends up resorting to a solution similar to that at University Blvd.
We're getting closer to 28/234 becoming Virginia's portion of an Outer Beltway.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 31, 2022, 08:15:59 AM
https://twitter.com/WTOPtraffic/status/1509491829527437314

If everyone doing that turns left at the top of the ramp that might not be too hazardous on Gallows Rd but if anyone wants to turn right to go to US 29, that would be trouble if the folks turning left from the Outer Loop HOT lanes ramp don't see what is going on...

Alps

Quote from: Jmiles32 on March 29, 2022, 09:13:47 PM

Glad to see this surprisingly cheap project getting underway as it, along with the new Balls Ford Road interchange will improve the VA-234 corridor tremendously. However, in order to maximize these benefits, PWC needs to find a way to fund the Sudley Manor Drive Interchange/Wellington Road Bridge project ASAP as the recent cuts to the state/regional transportation budget will likely only make this beneficial project ($180 million last time I checked) more and more unlikely. Would be disappointed but not surprised if the county ends up resorting to a solution similar to that at University Blvd.

I had fun looking it up now. What a change from existing! Semi-continuous flow intersections, rerouting Brentsville Rd. to tie into Business VA 234 instead of VA 294. I can only imagine how it'll help 234 in rush hour.

1995hoo

Something prompted me to think of the discussion earlier in this thread about the wrong-way ramp usage on the Willoughby Spit.

Quote from: plain on May 21, 2021, 01:34:47 PM
Someone remind me again what the plan is for that particular spot in regards to the HRBT expansion project. I'm wondering if that gate (or the interchange for that matter) will continue to exist afterwards.

Here's what it looked like last October.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 05, 2022, 08:11:56 AM
Something prompted me to think of the discussion earlier in this thread about the wrong-way ramp usage on the Willoughby Spit.

Someone remind me again what the plan is for that particular spot in regards to the HRBT expansion project. I'm wondering if that gate (or the interchange for that matter) will continue to exist afterwards.

Unrelated, but if you go down the road a bit, you can see GMSV coverage of the new US 60/VA 168 configuration.

elsmere241

Quote from: Alps on March 27, 2022, 11:52:29 PM
Drove I-81 today from 77 up. The first few hours were MISERABLE. Every time a truck passed another truck it would back up half a mile of cars. There was literally a miles-long queue that I took 2 hours to work my way up to the front, caused by truck after truck and slow car after slow car gradually bollocksing things up. The ONE 3-lane stretch of 81 NB ended that. Still... desperately needs to be widened throughout the state.

OK, so I know to avoid it on my trip this summer.  My wife and I took it on a Saturday in summer 2018 and it was miserable.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: elsmere241 on April 06, 2022, 03:30:07 PM
OK, so I know to avoid it on my trip this summer.  My wife and I took it on a Saturday in summer 2018 and it was miserable.

How about planning more for more driving time in the Shenandoah Valley?  When I get tired of the truck traffic on I-81, I'll either settle in behind the trucks and enjoy the scenery or head over to US-11 and US-340 and drive through the scenery. 

wriddle082

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 06, 2022, 05:55:18 PM

Quote from: elsmere241 on April 06, 2022, 03:30:07 PM

How about planning more for more driving time in the Shenandoah Valley?  When I get tired of the truck traffic on I-81, I'll either settle in behind the trucks and enjoy the scenery or head over to US-11 and US-340 and drive through the scenery. 

Three years ago when I was heading home to SC down I-81 south, not long after I entered VA, Waze diverted me to US 11 south at Strasburg, and I stayed on it for at least 30 miles.  When it directed me to cut back over to 81, I decided to stay on 11 a little bit longer.  It had occasional passing lanes, and the scenery was even more pleasant than what I would have encountered on 81.  I was in the middle of a very long trip so it didn't phase me to slow down just a little bit for my sanity.

froggie

If you don't mind a slower pace, a functional alternative to I-81 at least in the Harrisonburg vicinity is via VA 257 (Exit 240), VA 42, and SR 614 to Edinburg at Exit 279.  Though it has traffic signals and goes through Harrisonburg, VA 42 has the added benefit of being 4 lanes from Bridgewater through Harrisonburg to Broadway.

While VA 42 is a fairly good road south of Bridgewater (at least down to Goshen), it veers further away from I-81 as you go south and thus becomes harder to get back to (or from) I-81.

plain

Quote from: froggie on April 05, 2022, 02:34:40 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 05, 2022, 08:11:56 AM

Unrelated, but if you go down the road a bit, you can see GMSV coverage of the new US 60/VA 168 configuration.

That 15th View Ramp definitely needed to be modified after that fiasco with that tractor trailer.

Really can't say I'm a fan of what they did to the Ocean View/Tidewater intersection but I know why the bridge is gone. No more mention of VA 168 there either (though a trailblazer does appear after making the turn onto Tidewater).
Newark born, Richmond bred

74/171FAN

Quote from: froggie on April 06, 2022, 10:18:31 PM
If you don't mind a slower pace, a functional alternative to I-81 at least in the Harrisonburg vicinity is via VA 257 (Exit 240), VA 42, and SR 614 to Edinburg at Exit 279.  Though it has traffic signals and goes through Harrisonburg, VA 42 has the added benefit of being 4 lanes from Bridgewater through Harrisonburg to Broadway.

While VA 42 is a fairly good road south of Bridgewater (at least down to Goshen), it veers further away from I-81 as you go south and thus becomes harder to get back to (or from) I-81.

Also if you want a scenic view break, you should clinch VA 263.  The scenery at the west end in Orkney Springs was so good that I wanted to stay the night instead of turn around and head east.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on April 06, 2022, 10:18:31 PM

I would add that VA-39 heading southeast from Goshen back to I-81 is a fairly scenic drive through Goshen Pass, though it may be advisable to avoid that road (as well as VA-42 between VA-254 and Goshen) on weekends during the summer because of very heavy charter bus traffic. The National Capital Area Council operates Boy Scout camps at the Goshen Scout Reservation off VA-39 east of Goshen and they use charter buses to transport the campers to and from the campgrounds.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 04, 2022, 08:31:49 AM
There was a public meeting last night about Chesterfield's Upper Magnolia Green development - which includes the Powhite Parkway extension to US 360 in Skinquarter - and there was substantial community opposition. I'm skeptical the extension will ever get built...which is about how I normally feel anyway.

The Chesterfield County Planning Commission voted 3-2 to approve the Upper Magnolia Green plan, which now heads to the Board of Supervisors for a full vote. There continues to be heavy community opposition to the plan and it probably will not pass - if it doesn't, the Powhite Parkway extension is dead.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

plain

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 22, 2022, 02:38:00 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 04, 2022, 08:31:49 AM
There was a public meeting last night about Chesterfield's Upper Magnolia Green development - which includes the Powhite Parkway extension to US 360 in Skinquarter - and there was substantial community opposition. I'm skeptical the extension will ever get built...which is about how I normally feel anyway.

The Chesterfield County Planning Commission voted 3-2 to approve the Upper Magnolia Green plan, which now heads to the Board of Supervisors for a full vote. There continues to be heavy community opposition to the plan and it probably will not pass - if it doesn't, the Powhite Parkway extension is dead.
I don't think the Extension would truly be dead because of that, but it would be incredibly foolish to not build it in any case. The road has been needed for a while now, and the longer VDOT/county officials sit on the issue the worst it will be for that part of the county. There's more development in the pipeline just for US 360 alone, which is going to make it and the interchange with VA 288 even worse than it is now. The commuters need a bypass of that area in the worst way.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Great Lakes Roads

https://publicinput.com/Portal/N2538

Map of the improvements: https://rkk.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e042a03eb7b64af7bd6499bccce87fab

The preferred alternative for the Bowers Hill Interchange Study is Alternative C, which adds one managed lane and a part-time drivable shoulder in each direction on I-664, which is consistent with the other managed lanes projects happening around the region.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.