News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Neighborhood names on street signs

Started by KCRoadFan, November 21, 2023, 03:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

From a visit to Pittsburgh in 2005, I remember that many of the street signs throughout that city showed not only the block numbers on the cross-street, but also the name of the neighborhood that you were in.

Throughout the country, do you know of any other city where that is done? I know that in some cities, certain neighborhoods will have specially marked street signs, although I don't know of any other cities that do it across the board on their "main" or "official" street signs like Pittsburgh does.

Rothman

Quote from: KCRoadFan on November 21, 2023, 03:22:40 PM
From a visit to Pittsburgh in 2005, I remember that many of the street signs throughout that city showed not only the block numbers on the cross-street, but also the name of the neighborhood that you were in.

Throughout the country, do you know of any other city where that is done? I know that in some cities, certain neighborhoods will have specially marked street signs, although I don't know of any other cities that do it across the board on their "main" or "official" street signs like Pittsburgh does.
Signage can be inconsistent within a city.  Syracuse, NY sometimes has blades with neighborhoods mentioned.  Heck, NYC does, too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

elsmere241

Salt Lake City did at one time.  I don't know if they still do.  The "neighborhoods" were somewhat encompassing, though: Fifth East by Liberty Park (where my grandparents lived) was part of the "Center City Neighborhood" even though it was a mile from downtown.

Rothman

Quote from: elsmere241 on November 21, 2023, 03:43:56 PM
Salt Lake City did at one time.  I don't know if they still do.  The "neighborhoods" were somewhat encompassing, though: Fifth East by Liberty Park (where my grandparents lived) was part of the "Center City Neighborhood" even though it was a mile from downtown.
Heh.  There are the Avenues, downtown and then everything else. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Lakeland, Florida in some areas features the names of respected neighborhoods.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

-- US 175 --

Dallas (and at least 1 of its suburbs) doesn't include the neighborhood on the street blade itself, it uses a specially-designed blade sign above where the street blades are installed on the post.  The special blade sign shows the neighborhood name (Deep Ellum, Lakewood, Lake Highlands, Preston Hollow, etc.).

Lukeisroads

There is a neighborhood in TX that has friends themed streets

Henry

Perhaps the most famous example is in Los Angeles, where some street signs will add the logo on top.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Big John

JCinSummerfield

Toledo, OH does this with the Birmingham neighborhood where Tony Packo's is, as well as a couple others.

Bitmapped

Cleveland is hit-or-miss. It's only done on overhead signage on traffic signal mast arms. When the neighborhood name is in present, it's on a purple background above the street name like this example: https://maps.app.goo.gl/XukyGwdzhXXoKfSj9

ponderosa104

Portland (Oregon) mounts neighborhood name blades on top of the street name blade in many neighborhoods, though not everywhere in the city and not at every intersection.

A couple examples from around town:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZkCg4doiP176iyQ69
https://maps.app.goo.gl/eehCoQkYmvWF4WuB6
https://maps.app.goo.gl/REqzsi9VmgoFdfEy9

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.