News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

European collections

Started by Chris, January 22, 2009, 01:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I have my own Flickr account totalling about 12,000 pictures at the moment from mainly western Europe (excluding the Netherlands).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriszwolle/collections/

Each set includes one route. I skipped the Netherlands since many Dutch roadgeeks already photographed every freeway sign, so I decided to make youtube movies. http://youtube.com/user/aswchris

So far I have;

Sweden 1 set
Denmark 10 sets
Andorra 1 set
Spain 5 sets
France 23 sets
Luxembourg 4 sets
Belgium 12 sets
Germany 27 sets

enjoy!  :cool:

agentsteel53

Denmark uses a lot of white/red guide signs - is that just because of the national colors, or are those in some way special and needing of red?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

Freeways: green signage
other roads: mostly red/white, but sometimes on blue on more important roads.

The red letters on white signs is quite uncommon in Europe, I can't remember any other country that signs that way.

austrini

I had been working on Europe.aaroads.com
I would love it if you would ever consider contributing

I cant really add anything more as I do not have the airfare money to go back anytime soon :)

dank u wel
Justin

AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Chris

I would be honored if I could contribute :)

austrini

That wegenforum.nl shirt on your blog is really awesome, btw.

I really liked the freeways of Rotterdam, but I never made it north of Den Haag... so maybe Amsterdam's are really great too. I liked Rotterdam a lot better than any of the other European cities I visited, likely because it was dirty and I like dirty cities much better than spotless ones. A good friend of mine is Flemish (he lives here but he's from Brugge) and I made him drive me all around Rotterdam so I could see the motorways.

If you'd like to contribute, i'll message you when I find my Europe road stuff.

Chris

I did a small roadtrip of just over 200 miles saturday to the north of the Netherlands.

You can find the sets, totalling 552 pictures here on Flickr.

Examples:

ctsignguy

Nice piccys, but incredibly dumb question...

Next to the last piccy, i see what i guess are A, E and N routes...am i right or what do the letters stand for?
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

yanksfan6129

"E" routes are European Cross-Continental Routes as defined by the EU

Chris

E-routes are similar to the I-numbers in the U.S., but hardly used in practice in Europe. In my opinion, they should be removed from the signs. However, some countries have E-numbers only (Denmark, Belgium, Sweden, Finland, Norway) for their freeways.

A-routes are "autosnelwegen" (that's plural), meaning freeways. The A-prefix is pretty common throughout Europe, although D and M are also used, depending on the language of a country.

N-routes are National Roads. Nx/Nxx numbers are owned by the state government, Nxxx numbers are owned by the respective provinces. They are similar to the B-roads in Germany or the RN roads in France. I have to note nearly all N-routes follow old trails, and are underdeveloped in road design and mostly in no way an alternative for the freeways.

Chris

I did an 685 mile or 1100 kilometer  5-country roadtrip during the easter long weekend. I'm not gonna post all 950 pictures here, but I'll give some links, in the order of my route. Every link links to a set of photos on Flickr.

Germany:
A59 Duisburg - Düsseldorf - Köln - Bonn

B9 Bonn - Koblenz - Bingen

A60 Bingen - Mainz

A63 Mainz - Kaiserslautern

A6 Kaiserslautern - Saarbrücken (French border)

France:

A320 German border - Forbach - St. Avold

A4 St. Avold - Metz

A31 Metz - Luxembourg border

Luxembourg:

A3 French border - Luxembourg-city

A6 Luxembourg-city - Belgian border

Belgium:

N4 Arlon - Marche

N63 Marche - Liège

And I made 9 videos. You can visit them on my youtube page, some of you might already have seen them.
Youtube.com/aswchris

Chris

I did another roadtrip on Friday, by visiting the Ruhr area.

Although the "Ruhr area" may not sound very well-known to Americans, it is one of the biggest urban agglomerations of Europe, comparable in size to Chicagoland. The Ruhr area is a polycentric urban area with no single city dominating. The whole Rhine-Ruhr agglomeration contains over 10 million people. The Ruhr used to be dominated by heavy industries, and is still one of the largest industrial areas in the world.

I did this trip to visit some "hidden" expressways, there are a lot of expressways in Germany (Gelbe Autobahn, Yellow freeway) that are not signed as Autobahns, but are freeway-grade roads, they can be numbered as B-roads (federal highways) or L and K-roads, those roadnumbers are not signed.

A43 Autobahn: Münster - Wuppertal

A535 Autobahn: Wuppertal - Essen

B227 expressway: Velbert - Essen

L74 expressway: Wuppertal - Solingen

L141n expressway: Solingen

L418 expressway: Wuppertal (eastbound)

L418 expressway: Wuppertal (westbound)

austrini

ooh I have always wanted to see the Ruhr area. I think it is the third largest urban area in Europe.... top 5 i'm sure.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.