why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Possible state-name I-84 shield

Started by luokou, March 29, 2013, 02:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luokou

So I was exploring Eastern Oregon on Google Maps earlier and spotted this:
http://goo.gl/maps/2KdH8

Could this be the only state-name I-84 shield in Oregon? If there is anyone between La Grande and Baker (or anyone planning trips to that area) who can confirm this and snap some pics, it would be most appreciated!

NE2

Could be a Royston job.

But US 30 is missing, so it was likely installed at a different time from the others at the interchange.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

xonhulu

There's another at the entrance to Emigrant Springs State Park:

However, I got it straight from the perpetrator's mouth that this was the work of a fellow road geek, and that he had doctored another I-84 shield in another location, so I'm thinking you found his other masterpiece.

But I'll let the responsible individual come clean himself, if he chooses.  I promised I wouldn't rat him out.

OCGuy81

Cool sighting!  Going up to Oregon, I'm always taken aback at the lack of state named shields.  Come to think of it, I don't believe I've seen ANY in Oregon.  5, 84, 205.  Shock coming from California!

Thanks for posting!

xonhulu

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 30, 2013, 12:43:21 AM
Cool sighting!  Going up to Oregon, I'm always taken aback at the lack of state named shields.  Come to think of it, I don't believe I've seen ANY in Oregon.  5, 84, 205.  Shock coming from California!

Thanks for posting!

There's still one legitimate state-named I-5 left in Oregon:

OCGuy81

QuoteThere's still one legitimate state-named I-5 left in Oregon:

I'll take a stab at it.  Grants Pass?

xonhulu

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 30, 2013, 01:17:32 AM
QuoteThere's still one legitimate state-named I-5 left in Oregon:

I'll take a stab at it.  Grants Pass?

Nope.

OCGuy81

Ashland? Medford?  The hill in the background seems to scream southern Oregon to me.

xonhulu

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 30, 2013, 01:23:17 AM
Ashland? Medford?  The hill in the background seems to scream southern Oregon to me.

If you really need to know, I'll email you off-site.  I'm a little nervous broadcasting its location, given it's the last one in the state.  And I just saw the removal of one of the two last state highway eagle shields in this past year.

OCGuy81

Last one in Oregon?! Hmmm, I'm curious.  You can PM me if you'd like, but I also understand if you choose to keep it a secret.

On that note, as 405 or 205 ever had state shields?  I believe I've seen one on AARoads for 105, but the other two...

xonhulu

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 30, 2013, 01:34:35 AM
Last one in Oregon?! Hmmm, I'm curious.  You can PM me if you'd like, but I also understand if you choose to keep it a secret.

On that note, as 405 or 205 ever had state shields?  I believe I've seen one on AARoads for 105, but the other two...

I've never seen state-named 205 or 405 shields, but both routes are old enough to have had some in their early days.

The state-named 105 was probably put up by the city of Eugene, along with the state-named I-5 that accompanied it:

Ugly suckers.  Anyway, they've been gone for a number of years.  I think the post snapped off in a big windstorm, and they were never replaced.

OCGuy81

QuoteUgly suckers.  Anyway, they've been gone for a number of years.  I think the post snapped off in a big windstorm, and they were never replaced.

Oh. So very tragic.  :-D

luokou

Quote from: NE2 on March 29, 2013, 03:14:08 PM
Could be a Royston job.

But US 30 is missing, so it was likely installed at a different time from the others at the interchange.

I did notice the I-84 shield for the eastbound entrance at said interchange (with the accompanying US-30 shield) was the exact same spec sans state name as the one posted above. Too good to be true, I guess, but still neat to see nonetheless.

luokou

Quote from: xonhulu on March 29, 2013, 08:00:53 PM
There's another at the entrance to Emigrant Springs State Park:

However, I got it straight from the perpetrator's mouth that this was the work of a fellow road geek, and that he had doctored another I-84 shield in another location, so I'm thinking you found his other masterpiece.

But I'll let the responsible individual come clean himself, if he chooses.  I promised I wouldn't rat him out.

I do recall hearing about the, ahem, modification of the shield at Emigrant Springs. Still, seeing the second one captured on streetview definitely intrigued me!

xonhulu

Quote from: luokou on March 30, 2013, 02:29:04 AM
I do recall hearing about the, ahem, modification of the shield at Emigrant Springs. Still, seeing the second one captured on streetview definitely intrigued me!

I re-read the email from the "evil sign modifier" after I made that post, and he said he stickered a total of four I-84 shields.  Emigrant Springs is the only one I personally saw.

I know how you feel, though; I was pretty pumped when I saw mine, and then a little deflated when I found it wasn't official!

luokou

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 30, 2013, 01:34:35 AM

There used to be a whole bunch for I-405 on the Vista Ridge tunnel approach, along with US-26 cutouts ('48 style on the first truss and '61 style on the rest) on each of the sign bridges before the interchange. If only I had a camera when I was a kid...

As far as state-name I-205 shields, I only ever recall seeing one in the Clackamas area years ago. Never saw it again, however there were Washington I-205 shields on freeway entrance guide signs at Mill Plain Blvd up until the mid '90s.

xonhulu

Quote from: luokou on March 30, 2013, 02:42:54 AM
As far as state-name I-205 shields, I only ever recall seeing one in the Clackamas area years ago. Never saw it again, however there were Washington I-205 shields on freeway entrance guide signs at Mill Plain Blvd up until the mid '90s.

I wouldn't be surprised there were state-name I-205's on the original section, but I'd be a little surprised if any were ever posted on the freeway north of the 82nd Ave exit since it was completed much later.

Not state-named, but there are these redundant I-205 shields posted on the way out of the Clackamas Town Center parking lot:

Bickendan

Quote from: xonhulu on March 30, 2013, 01:12:44 AM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 30, 2013, 12:43:21 AM

Thanks for posting!

There's still one legitimate state-named I-5 left in Oregon:

Sexy.

Sd_fan2119

A little off topic, but the idea of state-name interstate shields reminded me of a random error I somehow happened to spot. At the intersection of US-101 and US-199 just north of Crescent City, the guide sign for US-199 reads "to Grants Pass" and has an I-5 shield marked with California...the error being that obviously US-199 intersects I-5 in Grants Pass, Oregon...not California. I don't know how I noticed this, just my attention to detail on the road signs I guess.

xonhulu

Quote from: Sd_fan2119 on March 30, 2013, 09:52:35 AM
A little off topic, but the idea of state-name interstate shields reminded me of a random error I somehow happened to spot. At the intersection of US-101 and US-199 just north of Crescent City, the guide sign for US-199 reads "to Grants Pass" and has an I-5 shield marked with California...the error being that obviously US-199 intersects I-5 in Grants Pass, Oregon...not California. I don't know how I noticed this, just my attention to detail on the road signs I guess.

Looking at my photos of that junction, that was the case at one time:

But when I was there last summer, that sign had been replaced, and the new I-5 shield was neutered:

Also sad that some great old button-copy had been removed.

But there are other guide signs that probably reference I-5, so it's possible there's still one with the state name.

Great catch -- I had never noticed that state name on the shield.  But understandable that they would use what is a stock I-5 shield for CalTrans.  I would've been more surprised if the shield read "Oregon."

OCGuy81

QuoteAs far as state-name I-205 shields, I only ever recall seeing one in the Clackamas area years ago. Never saw it again, however there were Washington I-205 shields on freeway entrance guide signs at Mill Plain Blvd up until the mid '90s.

I saw this one courtesy of AARoads.com shield gallery.  I wonder if this was the one in Clackamas you were referring to?

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=OR19722051

Sd_fan2119

Quote from: xonhulu on March 30, 2013, 12:02:34 PM
Quote from: Sd_fan2119 on March 30, 2013, 09:52:35 AM

Looking at my photos of that junction, that was the case at one time:

But when I was there last summer, that sign had been replaced, and the new I-5 shield was neutered:

Also sad that some great old button-copy had been removed.

But there are other guide signs that probably reference I-5, so it's possible there's still one with the state name.

Great catch -- I had never noticed that state name on the shield.  But understandable that they would use what is a stock I-5 shield for CalTrans.  I would've been more surprised if the shield read "Oregon."
That's interesting, thanks for the pics. It was actually last May that I was in Crescent City so they must have replaced it not too long after that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.