News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Covered Bridge Heavily Damaged By Tractor Trailer (Southeast PA)

Started by jemacedo9, April 29, 2014, 10:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemacedo9

bugo

Another idiot trucker damages a historic bridge.  Are they too stupid to know that you don't drive heavy trucks over wooden bridges?

SteveG1988

It happens due to them not double checking the route. There are tractor trailer oriented GPS devices and atlases that list stuff like that. The guys insurance will have a field day with this. No excuses for being on that road, it is signed properly, is on road maps properly, and also he should have stopped before crossing.

RM-878_nam_usa_100
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

agentsteel53

there is absolutely nothing redeeming about this bag of dicks.  he should not be allowed to hold a license - commercial or otherwise - ever again.  his stupidity is so mammoth that I'd fear putting him on a municipal bus lest he were to accidentally shove the driver through the windshield with his flailing idiocy.

Quote"As you can see I am actually upset about everything, so please respect that," Branham said.

with a non-apology like that, I see a future in politics.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jeffandnicole

Had his CDL license for 30 days; just got a job and drove a truck for 5 days.  Won't even be there long enough to collect his first paycheck.

Said his GPS directed him to use the bridge.

He may knew how to drive a truck, but obviously had no clue as to understand truck routes and to use a GPS with truck routing.

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 30, 2014, 02:39:35 PM
Had his CDL license for 30 days; just got a job and drove a truck for 5 days.  Won't even be there long enough to collect his first paycheck.

Said his GPS directed him to use the bridge.

He may knew how to drive a truck, but obviously had no clue as to understand truck routes and to use a GPS with truck routing.

I am getting my CDL as well, and in my class one of the first day things was know the weight limits and where to get directions. A GPS device for a car is not set up to know the weight limits of a bridge.

The man was on the job for just four days, that means that he was not trained by his company, since most trucking companies require 20-30 days with a trainer, some even are up to 4 months with a trainer where they teach you the company way. That is AFTER a 20 or so day orientation/training program that puts you in the parking lot of that company instead of putting you out on the roads.

Who is to blame here:

1: The company for not properly training the man to read maps and to not rely upon GPS. GPS is a backup, not your ONLY source for directions.

2: The man for going across the bridge and ignoring the signs

3: His CDL school, if he even went to one, you can teach yourself and rent a truck to take your road test/practice in so that may be to blame. 

"They say he had never driven a tractor trailer until five days ago when he was hired by Centerton Nursery in Bridgeton, New Jersey. The company had not comment."

To me that says he had a class B license, since to get a Class A CDL (tractor-trailer/Combination vehicles) you have to take the road test in one.

Edit: Upon street view inspection there are proper clearance signs for 10 feet max height.

Also Bugo, would you be as pissed if someone with an SUV damaged a bridge due to weight or height limits? since some bridges have a 3 ton limit which is 6,000 Lbs, a pickup or SUV loaded down can exceed it. you probably would not care, but if anyone in a semi does something stupid you get pissed off way more.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

empirestate

I don't see the correlation between how long he's had his CDL, worked for the company, driven a truck, or any of that. I've never had a CDL, never been to tractor-trailer school, and don't have the slightest experience with anything having to do with commercial driving, and yet I still know that was an error.

bugo

Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 30, 2014, 04:57:39 PM
Also Bugo, would you be as pissed if someone with an SUV damaged a bridge due to weight or height limits? since some bridges have a 3 ton limit which is 6,000 Lbs, a pickup or SUV loaded down can exceed it. you probably would not care, but if anyone in a semi does something stupid you get pissed off way more.

I'd be just as livid if somebody damaged the bridge in a Mitsubishi Mirage, that crap car you love so much.

rickmastfan67

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bugo on May 02, 2014, 02:44:24 AM

I'd be just as livid if somebody damaged the bridge in a Mitsubishi Mirage, that crap car you love so much.

The difference between an SUV and a tractor trailer is the trucker has more training so things like this don't happen.

Regardless, it's sad to see a piece of history destroyed by a bonehead mistake.

iPhone

SteveG1988

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 17, 2014, 02:23:40 PM

The difference between an SUV and a tractor trailer is the trucker has more training so things like this don't happen.

iPhone

"Training" Is what i am going through.

The CDL school has one purpose...get you that CDL, nothing more nothing less. You only get schooled on what you need to pass the test. And reading clearance signs and stuff like that is not on the test.
Roads Clinched

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 17, 2014, 03:00:04 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 17, 2014, 02:23:40 PM

iPhone

"Training" Is what i am going through.

The CDL school has one purpose...get you that CDL, nothing more nothing less. You only get schooled on what you need to pass the test. And reading clearance signs and stuff like that is not on the test.

Big truck no fit in small hole. You don't have to be smarter than a fifth grader to figure that one out. Big truck go smash I go faster it be ok. Yeah.....

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.