News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Locally famous foods

Started by webny99, January 17, 2018, 10:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Quote from: hbelkins on March 25, 2021, 12:37:00 PM
I know a lot of people who love chicken livers. My dad was one. I've had beef liver once. It was awful and I have no desire to eat it again.

Brains and scrambled eggs are considered a delicacy by some in this region. My grandmother used to fix it for my dad.

Brain is popular in Mexico too....and honestly brain tacos aren't too bad!

kphoger

I've had the opportunity to order brain tacos more than once, but I never have.  For some reason, I've assumed it would be rubbery, but a quick online search reveals that's not the case.  I'll definitely give it a try next time I see it on a menu.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 25, 2021, 12:53:01 PM
I've had the opportunity to order brain tacos more than once, but I never have.  For some reason, I've assumed it would be rubbery, but a quick online search reveals that's not the case.  I'll definitely give it a try next time I see it on a menu.

Texturally they're very soft.  Kind of overripe avocado-ey.

Chris

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

OCGuy81

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 12, 2021, 04:09:03 PM
China's various local cuisines deserve an article to themselves:

https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-food/regional-cuisines.htm

Great article, thanks for sharing!

My brother spent years teaching English in China and introduced me to a place (in LA when I still lived in southern Cal) serving Sichuan Hot Pot. Be still my heart, that was an amazing meal!

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 12, 2021, 06:18:58 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 12, 2021, 04:09:03 PM
China's various local cuisines deserve an article to themselves:

https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-food/regional-cuisines.htm

Great article, thanks for sharing!

My brother spent years teaching English in China and introduced me to a place (in LA when I still lived in southern Cal) serving Sichuan Hot Pot. Be still my heart, that was an amazing meal!

I'm glad you liked it. Personally, I prefer Jiangsu and Zhejiang cuisine, but that's rather difficult to come by in America.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

sparker

Out here (San Jose area) we used to have a chain of outstanding hot dog places (mostly drive-through) called Ben Franks; their heyday was the early '80's.  It's shrunk down to one today -- the original, on El Camino Real in Redwood City -- but the dogs are as good as ever.  I've made several trips up the peninsula just for the cuisine!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.