News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why is the metric system associated with the '70s?

Started by bandit957, February 20, 2021, 10:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 12:36:57 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2021, 10:34:30 AM
When I say you can be off a smidge, it's a proportional smidge to the amount called for in a recipe.  If it calls for 1/4 tsp of ginger and you put in 1/4 cup, sure, that's going to have some effect.

And my point is that it's not just proportional to the amount, but is also dependent on the ingredient.

If it calls for a teaspoon of onion powder and you put in a tablespoon, then you probably won't even notice the difference.  If basil or paprika, it'll probably taste even better that way.  But if cloves or ginger or black pepper or salt, then all bets are off.

How do metric recipes list herbs and spices?  Do they expect you to weigh them out?  I mean, if a recipe calls for eight different ones...?
Somebody's overthinking this. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kkt on March 09, 2021, 01:01:51 PM
Some metric recipes have oh-so-helpful instructions like:  3-4 sprigs each rosemary, sage, and savory

Unhelpful recipes can be in any system of units!

I fail to see what is unhelpful about that?  Sprigs of each of those are not dramatically different in size.  3-4 of rosemary, 3-4 of sage, and 3-4 of savory.

Chris

kphoger

Not particularly useful if you're using store-bought dried herbs, though.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 04:23:48 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2021, 04:17:53 PM
Somebody's overthinking this. :D

Is that the aaroads.com slogan?

:-D

On that wikipedia page for U.S. common measures, there's a lot of measures I wouldn't recognize as being exact volumes.  In particular, drop, smidgen, pinch, and dash are all imprecise volumes.  Drops are one drop for an eyedropper, which will naturally be bigger for viscous fluids (cream, for example) and smaller for thinner fluids (spirits, for example).

From the "weights and measures" table on the endpaper of Fanny Farmer,
Quotea few grains, pinch, dash, etc. (dry) = less than 1/8 teaspoon
a dash (liquid) = a few drops

kkt

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 09, 2021, 04:37:33 PM
Some metric recipes have oh-so-helpful instructions like:  3-4 sprigs each rosemary, sage, and savory

I fail to see what is unhelpful about that?  Sprigs of each of those are not dramatically different in size.  3-4 of rosemary, 3-4 of sage, and 3-4 of savory.

Chris

It gives you some idea of how much to use, but a big sprig can easily be 3 times the size of a little sprig.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 04:39:48 PM
Not particularly useful if you're using store-bought dried herbs, though.

Well, no, but if you're substituting items in a recipe, you'll have to use a conversion.  No difference between something like this and something that says "juice of one orange" vs. 2.5 oz of orange juice.  Especially in the case of herbs as dried vs. fresh require drastically different amounts (especially for something like dill which is 3:1 fresh to dried).

Quote from: kkt on March 09, 2021, 04:43:31 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on March 09, 2021, 04:37:33 PM

Chris

It gives you some idea of how much to use, but a big sprig can easily be 3 times the size of a little sprig.

I guess if I had purchased six sprigs, I'd pick the median sprig and try to get 3-4 that size.  Having worked in fine dining restaurants for most of my life, I can assure you that a little more herb or spice here or there will not impact the dish substantially.  There are rarely ingredients that have to be measured out that specifically (sesame oil comes to mind).

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 09, 2021, 04:51:25 PM
No difference between something like this and something that says "juice of one orange" vs. 2.5 oz of orange juice.  Especially in the case of herbs as dried vs. fresh require drastically different amounts (especially for something like dill which is 3:1 fresh to dried).\\

And a GOOD recipe will say something like "juice of one orange (2.5 oz)".

Also, dill isn't 3:1 fresh to dried.  The actual measurements are "just dump a whole bunch in, because dill is the bomb diggity".

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 09, 2021, 04:51:25 PM
Having worked in fine dining restaurants for most of my life, I can assure you that a little more herb or spice here or there will not impact the dish substantially.  There are rarely ingredients that have to be measured out that specifically (sesame oil comes to mind).

Yes, unless it's a mild-flavored dish to begin with (in which case the spice might stand out too much) or a strong-flavored ingredient (in which case it might overpower everything else).  In those cases, the remedy is always the same:  add more garlic.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

(from another thread)

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 03:12:21 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on March 09, 2021, 02:45:46 PM

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 09, 2021, 01:33:49 PM
Well my lot is on acreage.  Why the 1/2 acre lot max?  Heck the City of Brentwood wants 1 acre lot minimums now.

My house is 2/5 of an acre. Long Island is about 6000 square feet. 1/2 acre is plenty to maintain a suburban  character[opinion]. Any more than that is just NIMBYism[disputed].

FTFY

I have no intuitive concept of what an acre is. And I can't go by side length – 66×660 is not a square number.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1 on March 09, 2021, 07:00:32 PM
I have no intuitive concept of what an acre is. And I can't go by side length — 66×660 is not a square number.

A smidge less than 91 yards of a football field, not including the end zones:

Or to put it more roads-ier, about 500 feet worth of two lane interstate, including shoulders in both directions, with a 50-foot median, but not including anything outside the right shoulder.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on March 09, 2021, 07:00:32 PM
I have no intuitive concept of what an acre is. And I can't go by side length – 66×660 is not a square number.

Just reverse-think it based on the context.  In my neighborhood, it's roughly the size of four residential lots put together.  (I earlier erroneously said I live on a half-acre lot, when I actually live on a quarter-acre lot.  Lots are also just slightly smaller than a quarter-acre, because streets and alleys exist.)

Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.