News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

What were some locally produced shows you remember?

Started by OCGuy81, March 25, 2021, 10:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

The 80s and 90s gave us a handful of independent stations that weren't part of the big three (and with Fox, 4) networks. Often times they'd show old movies or series retired to syndication, but there were times they had some home grown shows.

I remember Svengoolie being late Saturday nights on WGN (it's now available everywhere via MeTV)

When I moved to Oregon, a lot of people who grew up here remember a local show called Ramblin Rod made in Portland.

What were some home grown shows you had?

Big John

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 25, 2021, 10:11:14 AM
I remember Svengoolie being late Saturday nights on WGN (it's now available everywhere via MeTV)

Svengoolie, in all its forms, first aired on WFLD-TV (1970-73 with Jerry G. Bishop, and 1979-86 with Rich Koz) and on WCIU-TV since 1994.  It never aired on WGN-TV as far as I'm aware.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

GaryV

Some kids shows -

Romper Room (It was probably a franchise, because it was in other cities as well.  Our "Miss Jean" had to quit the show when she got divorced.  Her daughter was a couple grades behind me in elementary school.)

Bozo - again a franchise

Buck Barry's Buck-a-roo Rodeo

Captain Woody - my dad absolutely hated that one

jp the roadgeek

JJ TX and Friends on WTXX (now WCCT): TX Critter was the precursor to ALF
DJ Katt on WNYW in New York
The Joe Franklin Show and People are Talking (later 9 Broadcast Plaza) with Richard Bey on (W)WOR
Dana Hersey hosting The Movie Loft on TV-38
PM Magazine (different hosts in each city)
Before my time, but Ranger Andy on WTIC (now WFSB).  My dad's cub scout group was on once, and a kid told an NSFW joke once.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TravelingBethelite

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

OCGuy81

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on March 25, 2021, 04:16:20 PM

Svengoolie, in all its forms, first aired on WFLD-TV (1970-73 with Jerry G. Bishop, and 1979-86 with Rich Koz) and on WCIU-TV since 1994.  It never aired on WGN-TV as far as I'm aware.

You're right. For some reason I remember watching it on WGN....Mandela Effect I guess.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 26, 2021, 12:36:59 AM

You're right. For some reason I remember watching it on WGN....Mandela Effect I guess.

WGN-TV did air horror movies under the title of "Creature Feature" in the 1960s and '70s, but I don't remember that show having a live host.

The Svengoolie shows on WFLD were called "Screaming Yellow Theater" when Bishop was Svengoolie, and "Son of Svengoolie" when Rich Koz took over in 1979 (Bishop had left Chicago for San Diego a couple years earlier).  Koz got the OK from Bishop (who owned the character's rights) to bill himself just as Svengoolie when the show was picked up by WCIU in 1994.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

bandit957

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on March 25, 2021, 10:48:44 PM
Bet you were a frequent guest star.

The assistant principal in middle school actually threatened that I would end up on 'Juvenile Court'.

Here's some details about 'Uncle Al' and 'Juvenile Court'. Both were produced at WCPO-TV in Cincinnati, which was our CBS affiliate at the time. 'Uncle Al' was a very popular kids' show, and children visited it all the time to appear on the show. It was hosted by the late Al Lewis. In the early '80s, NBC had a spinoff of 'Real People' called 'Real Kids'. They once did a segment about bubble gum, and I'm pretty sure this segment featured Uncle Al standing there playing his accordion while blowing a huge bubble.

'Juvenile Court' was a reality-based court show. But since it involved juvenile cases, the kids who appeared in the courtroom were actors redoing real cases. They weren't the actual defendants. It was presided over by Judge Paul Trevor (though that wasn't his real name). I remember a case where some teenage girl attacked her mom with a knife. The prosecutors said it was a butcher knife, but the girl's defense was that it was actually a butter knife. The judge reprimanded her for chewing gum in court, so she stuck her gum under the table.

hotdogPi

One news headline, not sure if it's real or not:
"Juvenile court to try shooting defendant"
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

bandit957

Also, there was a man around here who gave accordion lessons, and Uncle Al once hired him to repair his accordion after some kid on the show peed down inside it.

SectorZ

Boston had a few in my lifetime.

"People Are Talking" was an afternoon news show on WBZ Channel 4 that was hosted by Tom Bergeron, long before his national gigs.

WHDH Channel 7 had a 7 AM show called "Ready to Go" that was a kids news show. It actually replaced a show Matt Lauer hosted.

Along with those, one of the more well-known Bozo the Clown franchises was based out of Boston.

ET21

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on March 26, 2021, 12:51:38 AM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 26, 2021, 12:36:59 AM

WGN-TV did air horror movies under the title of "Creature Feature" in the 1960s and '70s, but I don't remember that show having a live host.

The Svengoolie shows on WFLD were called "Screaming Yellow Theater" when Bishop was Svengoolie, and "Son of Svengoolie" when Rich Koz took over in 1979 (Bishop had left Chicago for San Diego a couple years earlier).  Koz got the OK from Bishop (who owned the character's rights) to bill himself just as Svengoolie when the show was picked up by WCIU in 1994.

Rich Koz for awhile owned Saturday nights on WCIU in the 90s and 2000s. Between his Three Stooges themed show from 7-9pm and then Svengoolie at 10pm
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ftballfan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.