News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road foamers

Started by Mr. Matté, August 07, 2012, 05:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you consider yourself a road "foamer?"

Yes
1 (3.8%)
No
25 (96.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Alps

Molandfreak

Quote from: Steve on January 26, 2013, 01:28:41 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on January 26, 2013, 01:10:58 PM
:-D
I question your choice of smiley.  :crazy: :angry: :-o :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
:paranoid: :banghead:  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Whoa, I had no idea those :thumbdown: guys even existed!

And no, I'm definitely not a road foamer
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

cjk374

I question your choice of smiley.  :crazy: :angry: :-o :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
:paranoid: :banghead:  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Ever see or experience anything so terrible that you had no choice but to laugh  :-D  to keep from crying  :-(  ?  Foamers qualify as such for me.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Brandon

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 26, 2013, 01:37:58 PM
Whoa, I had no idea those :thumbdown: guys even existed!

And no, I'm definitely not a road foamer

There's :wow: a :ded: whole :pan: bunch :nod: of :happy: them :thumbsup: when :ninja: you :jumping: click :hmm: the preview :rofl: button, :camera: and :camo: more :cheers: under :hyper: the :fight: [ more ] :evilgrin: button :whip: under :verymad: the :birthday: smiley :thumbdown: guys :thumbsup:.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Scott5114

These guys are road foamers:
:cheers:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: cjk374 on January 26, 2013, 11:06:59 AM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 07, 2012, 05:03:04 PM
I was listening to Howard Stern recently and he brought up railfans who practically go orgasmic over trains a.k.a "foamers." I think he was specifically referring to this clip.

Would anyone here consider themselves foamers over roads such as screaming for joy when you see an old sign, smelling freshly-paved roads, or hearing the hum of a grooved concrete highway?

For the record, I would say no.
If you think that rail foamer was bad, check THIS guy out  :pan:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1GnG5dwCqs

It's foamers like these that give all railfans and the rail hobby a bad rap.  They are a danger to themselves and others. 

I notice things like new signs, missing signs, & other details about some of the roads I travel regularly, but I don't go ape about it.  Same with locomotives & the paint jobs, & other railroad details.  If a steam locomotive comes through the area (it will usually be one of UP's steamers), I'll take the day off from work & spend the day chasing it.  Part of that adventure is trying not to get run over by the rail foamers driving like maniacs trying to keep up with the steamer.   :nod:
The train drivers must have been like "WTF?".

I've been near the spot where that was filmed (North Creek, NY) while highway clinching before.  I really should visit the rail museum some day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Sanctimoniously

I usually only "foam" and/or go one hundred percent flamboyantly gay when I see a cool car. Nothing road or aircraft related would make me do that.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

bugo

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on January 26, 2013, 09:13:27 PM
I usually only "foam" and/or go one hundred percent flamboyantly gay when I see a cool car. Nothing road or aircraft related would make me do that.

I geek out over cars, especially from the '50s and '60s.  I don't ever geek out over roads.

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 26, 2013, 05:17:17 PM
These guys are road foamers:
:cheers:
That's the kind of foaming I can get behind.

J N Winkler

Foamer moment:  I snagged a copy of the construction plans for the DNT/PGBT four-level Maltese cross stack interchange in Collin County, Texas.  Both roads are now owned by NTTA, but the stack was actually built by TxDOT (under contract CSJ 2964-05-014, with title sheet signature dates in 1992), I think because the PGBT (then known as, and signed simply as, SH 190) was then under TxDOT jurisdiction.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

codyg1985

I suppose you could consider me a Foamer. I do get visibly and verbally excited over things such as sign errors, rare finds, and concrete pavement.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on January 26, 2013, 09:13:27 PM
Ditto.

I'm a railfan, and I keep away from active mainline tracks at all times, even near mainline signals or crossing signals, which may be malfunctioning. Spurs with low speed limits (mostly those that are always on Restricted) I may walk on if I need to, but I usually stay away from anything that is not protected by a derailer.

A train may come up at any time, in any direction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.