News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Missing" roadgeeks - where are they?

Started by getemngo, April 05, 2014, 01:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2014, 06:13:47 PM
However, I'm clueless as to who "Bert" is.

one of the admins.

QuoteIf NE2 got suspended for calling someone a Nazi, well at some point I'm sure I will get the BANanahammer, because I've been known to refer to the zealots who want to ban all cell phone use by drivers as "cell phone Nazis." If that particular N-word is verboten, please let us all know now so we will be aware of the line and not cross it.

general use of the word "Nazi" is okay.  you can't refer to the AARoads admins as Nazis, or you will be banned.  it's pretty elegantly fascist, in a manner reminiscent of the ruling party of Germany from 1933-45, except the admins don't kill Jews and honestly we're really, really behind on that autobahn to Danzig.

QuoteBecause he wasn't able to get in, I suppose, was his reasoning for that post.

I wonder what happened there.  I'd like to think that the member approve/deny filters are mostly reliable, with the occasional erring on the side of letting in spammers or ethanmen, but much less likely to err on the side of forbidding a potential contributor.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hotdogPi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 08, 2014, 06:56:21 PM
with the occasional erring on the side of letting in spammers or ethanmen

I thought they were blawps, not ethanmen.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1 on April 08, 2014, 07:02:59 PM
I thought they were blawps, not ethanmen.

there's both classes of scourges.  blawp was a troll; ethanman was a straight-up moron.

jake@aaroads.com

Zeffy

If that particular N-word is verboten, please let us all know now so we will be aware of the line and not cross it.

How about all uses of the N-word? (Including the one referenced by HBelkins) Or better yet, all racial slurs. These are the worst words one can possibly use, so I don't care if they are referring to anyone in a jokingly matter, I think there should be repercussions to use of any word that is intended to refer to anyone in an extremely negative matter.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 08, 2014, 07:04:04 PM
there's both classes of scourges.  blawp was a troll; ethanman was a straight-up moron.

What about TheAlan360? What does he fall under?  :spin:
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

agentsteel53

Quote from: Zeffy on April 08, 2014, 07:07:04 PM
How about all uses of the N-word? (Including the one referenced by HBelkins) Or better yet, all racial slurs. These are the worst words one can possibly use, so I don't care if they are referring to anyone in a jokingly matter, I think there should be repercussions to use of any word that is intended to refer to anyone in an extremely negative matter.

I'm pretty sure there's a world of difference between Nazi and - well, I'm assuming you're referring to a 6-letter N word that refers to black people.  the latter is pretty unnecessary; and indeed the forum software automatically changes it to something else.  I forget what.  something like "sparkly pony" or something.

as for "Nazi"; well, if we took it out, we would have a fairly major hole in our vocabulary.  "Q: who built Reichsautobahnen? A: the ruling party of Germany, 1933-1945, whose name shall not be printed."  that would just be stupid; I think we are okay with the status quo: a bit of common sense and a bit of moderation.

QuoteWhat about TheAlan360? What does he fall under?  :spin:

blasphemy.  TheAlan360 will never fall.  (seriously, we celebrated the one-year anniversary of the Alanland thread a few days ago!)

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on April 08, 2014, 07:07:04 PM
If that particular N-word is verboten, please let us all know now so we will be aware of the line and not cross it.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 08, 2014, 07:04:04 PM

What about TheAlan360? What does he fall under?  :spin:
TheAlan threatened us. That's a class that gets insta-banned.

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on April 08, 2014, 07:51:44 PM

What if someone bribed one of the admins with say an original 1920s era US shield for some scandalous action? *

* I'm not implying anything here.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Duke87

Likewise for Anthony C's user name, which to me would indicate that he attended the same college as Christian Laettner.  :-D

Y'know, a lot of people make that mistake. I've even had NC Tarheel fans decide they didn't like me based on that false assumption. :pan:

For the record, the "Duke" in my username is in reference to Duke Nukem, the video game character. I first came up with this name waaay back in the day in order to create an AOL sign on... and at the time (bear in mind, I was in 4th grade) I had no idea that there was a college known as "Duke" or that it would create any such confusion.

What you say about knowing people in real life does create interesting circumstances, though, as that has not been true of any other forum I have ever been on... and indeed, historically the other members on public forums did not know my real name. People are more open about such things now (you can probably thank social media for that), but in the days when I started using the internet, common wisdom was that you should never post pictures of yourself or reveal your real name.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hotdogPi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 08, 2014, 07:13:01 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a world of difference between Nazi and - well, I'm assuming you're referring to a 6-letter N word that refers to black people.  the latter is pretty unnecessary; and indeed the forum software automatically changes it to something else.  I forget what.  something like "sparkly pony" or something.

Hep cat. I checked using the preview button (not the post button!).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

J N Winkler

There is also a distinction to be made between "nazi" as in "soup nazi" (cf. Seinfeld), "surf nazi," etc. and the sort of person whose attitudes or behavior evinces admiration for the historical Nazi party, broad agreement with its platform, or indifference to its crimes.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US71

Quote from: Zeffy on April 08, 2014, 08:01:14 PM

What if someone bribed one of the admins with say an original 1920s era US shield for some scandalous action? *

If it's an Arkansas US 71, we'll talk ;)  :spin: :evilgrin:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on April 08, 2014, 08:01:14 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 08, 2014, 07:51:44 PM

What ban?

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on April 08, 2014, 09:39:36 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 08, 2014, 07:13:01 PM

Hep cat. I checked using the preview button (not the post button!).

Wonder if that means that you-know-who has actually been posting the N-word and the forum has been changing it to hep cat, since he uses that term so much?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

Quote from: hbelkins on April 09, 2014, 10:13:15 AM
Wonder if that means that you-know-who has actually been posting the N-word and the forum has been changing it to hep cat, since he uses that term so much?

That's a valid point. I never noticed, because I don't know what the hell hep cat means, and if it's censoring a derogatory term, I have no interest in looking it up. Or maybe it's just made up. I don't know. 

Still, I imagine that this suspension was not done lightly, for a member as prolific and knowledgeable as him.

Brandon

Quote from: Zeffy on April 09, 2014, 10:25:22 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 09, 2014, 10:13:15 AM

That's a valid point. I never noticed, because I don't know what the hell hep cat means, and if it's censoring a derogatory term, I have no interest in looking it up. Or maybe it's just made up. I don't know. 

Still, I imagine that this suspension was not done lightly, for a member as prolific and knowledgeable as him.

I asked him once for the definition of "hep cat", and I got back an answer with the n-word and an extra character in the n-word.

No, I cannot imagine it being done lightly, but I strongly suspect it was the last straw that finally broke the camel's back.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on April 09, 2014, 10:13:15 AMWonder if that means that you-know-who has actually been posting the N-word and the forum has been changing it to hep cat, since he uses that term so much?

I think it is much more likely the plaintext actually says "hep cat" (not the N-word) in the majority of instances, since he has made plays on it in the past, e.g. "hep kitten."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

rickmastfan67

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 06, 2014, 10:35:19 PM
Jason Pawloski's last comment on MTR (in relation to the AARoads forum) was "It sucks," so I suspect lack of interest is the more relevant factor.

Because he wasn't able to get in, I suppose, was his reasoning for that post. I would post the "registration problems" board link on MTR for him to see, but that would require me logging out since members can't see that board.  :D

Here's the link to that forum HB so you don't have to log out.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?board=40.0

hotdogPi

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 09, 2014, 09:01:16 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 06, 2014, 10:35:19 PM
Jason Pawloski's last comment on MTR (in relation to the AARoads forum) was "It sucks," so I suspect lack of interest is the more relevant factor.

Because he wasn't able to get in, I suppose, was his reasoning for that post. I would post the "registration problems" board link on MTR for him to see, but that would require me logging out since members can't see that board.  :D

Here's the link to that forum HB so you don't have to log out.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?board=40.0
The page does not exist.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

sammi

Quote from: 1 on April 09, 2014, 09:04:16 PM
The page does not exist.
It's supposed to be off-limits to members. Logout or open it from an incognito/InPrivate/whatchamacallit window.

bugo

national highway 1

Quote from: roadman65 on April 07, 2014, 09:36:42 PM
Oh for those of you who were not here a few years back we had a 13 year old kid on here who used to ask a lot of silly questions.  He was banned for something and he never came back since.  Many were glad, of that ,as from what I read from the conversations this Ethanman took part of, the other users were weary and were telling him to use google to research the many questions he asked.

He got banned just a month or so after I joined, so I never got the experience to really deal with him first hand, but ask a lot of old timers here and they can tell you about him. 

BTW, Steve I thought you would be the one to comment about him instead of the line your buddy uses when its been talked about before.   As far as I have seen no one mentioned the 85 mph kid in a long while so its not trivial as you are suggesting.
Also, I can recall another guy called SR641 who was similarly annoying as Ethanman62187. Was he also banned or something?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

adventurernumber1

Bryant5493 is SouthernRoadgeek on Instagram and I am following him. He posts probably at least once a day so I know he hasn't disappeared off the face of the Earth, lol.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

MillTheRoadgeek

I don't think he is a member of this forum, but where is Scott Kozel at? It seems like his internet sites haven't been updated since 2012.

J N Winkler

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on August 29, 2014, 10:16:52 AMI don't think he is a member of this forum, but where is Scott Kozel at? It seems like his internet sites haven't been updated since 2012.

He does have an account on this forum though he hadn't logged in for about a year the last time I checked.  He is still moderately active on Facebook.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.