US-90 between San Antonio and Van Horn, Texas

Started by ZLoth, March 18, 2021, 01:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

As one of those post-Covid get-out-of-the-damn-house road trips, I'm thinking about driving south to San Antonio, then taking US-90 from San Antonio to Van Horn before returning to DFW on I-10. I'm targeting this trip for just after Memorial Day. Am I setting myself up for dull, boring, and how many Audible books do I have pre-downloaded for this trip?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

oscar

Except for Marfa and (to a much lesser extent) Del Rio, that sounds about right.

Do you have time for a side trip to Big Bend National Park? About two hours round-trip detour from US 90, plus whatever time you spend exploring the park.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

I haven't been there, but isn't Alpine a town worth stopping in for a bit?

Also, the stretch from San Antonio to Del Rio at least has enough traffic to keep a driver alert, right?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2021, 01:52:12 PM
I haven't been there, but isn't Alpine a town worth stopping in for a bit?

It's a place where you can spend the night, but not a place of any note.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

texaskdog

I went that way once but generally we take Us 290 to I 10  much more scenic.  The pecos bridge is cool  Get to Big Bend and/or Fort Davis.  heck just do that as a loop from home.

TXtoNJ

Seminole Canyon SP is definitely worth a night if you like camping in the dry steppe/desert. Native petroglyphs and spectacular rock formations too.

kphoger

Quote from: TXtoNJ on March 18, 2021, 06:06:39 PM
Seminole Canyon SP is definitely worth a night if you like camping in the dry steppe/desert. Native petroglyphs and spectacular rock formations too.

Dang, how did I not know about that place till now?  Thanks!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Certainly more fun than I-10, especially if you detour to Big Bend National Park. 

ZLoth

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Avalanchez71

You can check out Judge Roy Bean's saloon and seat of justice.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.