Weirdest Quirks of Your State DOT?

Started by i-215, January 17, 2019, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Quote from: jakeroot on January 20, 2019, 08:51:09 PM
Quote from: froggie on January 20, 2019, 08:39:25 PM
They could avoid that problem entirely by using side- and median-mounted left signals.  Or not having the mast-arm pole anchored in the median...

Even with the mast arm mounted on the right, the spacing would be the same. The left turn signal, as it is, is centered over the left turn lane. It's the through signals that are spread left and right from the centerline.

This. They really could avoid the problem entirely by simply spacing their signals evenly.  ;-)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

sparker

Quote from: pdx-wanderer on January 18, 2019, 03:11:34 PM
Not my state but California's little white signs that give the name of each and every obscurely known creek, wash, gulch, and ditch in the state.

That's simply Caltrans' bridge inventory signs; the bridge number corresponds with the county in which it's located and the approximate order that it was built within that county.  58 counties; the numbering starts in the northwest (Del Norte) and ends in the southeast (Imperial).  So bridge 53-1211 would be the 1211th state-maintained bridge completed in Los Angeles County, which is, of course, county #53. 

DandyDan

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 20, 2019, 12:47:23 PM
Should add to the list for Nebraska the unique exit gore signs (example), and the mile markers with a separate square for each number (example - kind of hard to see though).
In my last trip to Nebraska around Christmas, they've begun to eliminate that style of mile marker, at least along 80.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

MantyMadTown

Quote from: froggie on January 18, 2019, 03:58:01 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2019, 02:10:50 PM
Quote from: SSOWorldMN Has just too many signs as it is.

I'm curious to know how common it is outside of Minnesota to see separate signage for snowmobiles.

Northern New England.

Or Wisconsin. I've seen plenty of them by country roads near my hometown.
Forget the I-41 haters

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 20, 2019, 09:27:20 AM
Speaking of quirks, in Indiana "bypass lanes" are called "passing blisters," which is a term I've never seen anywhere else, nor in use by the general public.

I've never heard the term "passing blisters" before.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

roadfro

Quote from: Ian on January 20, 2019, 08:56:16 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 20, 2019, 08:51:09 PM
Quote from: froggie on January 20, 2019, 08:39:25 PM
They could avoid that problem entirely by using side- and median-mounted left signals.  Or not having the mast-arm pole anchored in the median...

Even with the mast arm mounted on the right, the spacing would be the same. The left turn signal, as it is, is centered over the left turn lane. It's the through signals that are spread left and right from the centerline.

This. They really could avoid the problem entirely by simply spacing their signals evenly.  ;-)

And this might be more easily achieved if there weren't so many extra signs on the mast arm.

For example: The route signs could have been posted in advance of the intersection, allowing that left-most through signal to be placed centered over the left lane instead of close to the left edge of the left lane.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadfro on January 21, 2019, 03:07:04 PM
And this might be more easily achieved if there weren't so many extra signs on the mast arm.

For example: The route signs could have been posted in advance of the intersection, allowing that left-most through signal to be placed centered over the left lane instead of close to the left edge of the left lane.

It's not that hard to put route markers on mast arms and still have proper signal head spacing. MnDOT manages that really well. Here's an example from Albert Lea that I think illustrates it well.

On the other hand, that "lane ends" sign looks totally superfluous. I see zero reason that needs to be mounted on the mast arm. Ditch that, move the other stuff to the right, and it would look just fine (IMO).

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 21, 2019, 03:13:33 PM
Quote from: roadfro on January 21, 2019, 03:07:04 PM

It's not that hard to put route markers on mast arms and still have proper signal head spacing. MnDOT manages that really well. Here's an example from Albert Lea that I think illustrates it well.

On the other hand, that "lane ends" sign looks totally superfluous. I see zero reason that needs to be mounted on the mast arm. Ditch that, move the other stuff to the right, and it would look just fine (IMO).

To be fair to Maryland, they don't space the signals out for the sole purpose of installing lane-centered signage. The vast majority of signals have virtually no signage at all, and still have wide spacing: http://bit.ly/2W73SkW

That "land ends" sign is only mounted where it is, so that they could omit other items like "RIGHT LANE" or an arrow. Kind of like how VA sometimes posts "NO TURN ON RED FROM THIS LANE ▼" (though an arrow is often used).

hbelkins

How many states besides Minnesota use angled posts as braces for signs?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2019, 03:29:26 PM
To be fair to Maryland, they don't space the signals out for the sole purpose of installing lane-centered signage. The vast majority of signals have virtually no signage at all, and still have wide spacing: http://bit.ly/2W73SkW

That "land ends" sign is only mounted where it is, so that they could omit other items like "RIGHT LANE" or an arrow. Kind of like how VA sometimes posts "NO TURN ON RED FROM THIS LANE ▼" (though an arrow is often used).

If the problem isn't due to the signs, then the problem is that their signal head placement is wonky.

My point was more that the lane sign doesn't need to be mounted on the mast arm at all. It's not really relevant to traffic control at the intersection, so why have it there? In that specific pictured example, instead install it as a ground mounted sign (or pair of signs, one on each side of the carriageway) a little ways up from the intersection.

kphoger

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 19, 2019, 05:26:37 PM
MASSDOT:
- use of wooden signposts

Very common in states farther west.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 19, 2019, 06:19:46 PM
Alright, for something different that I would say is pretty unique to MnDOT: sign post braces, and especially the 2 + 1 sign post setup. Two vertical posts, and one angled brace post.

Example

Perhaps other states do use brace posts, but I know of no other DOT that uses them as commonly as MnDOT does.

Ooh!  I didn't think to mention those, but you're right.  I do believe they're also used some in northern British Columbia, but I don't know with what frequency.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 21, 2019, 03:57:39 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2019, 03:29:26 PM

If the problem isn't due to the signs, then the problem is that their signal head placement is wonky.

As far as I know, the placement style has been the standard for decades. I don't think it's necessarily wonky; the original idea was probably to improve overall signal visibility, by spacing them out a bit and requiring that near-side signal. It comes off as odd when a protected left is used, though there are plenty of installs where the spacing was made to be quite good: http://bit.ly/2R59kB9...

Of course, they could have easily improved signal visibility by requiring pole-mounted signals, but I appreciate them being creative with overhead signals. Especially since, as numerous states have proven, you don't need one-signal-per-lane to have good visibility (CA, WI, NJ, etc).

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 21, 2019, 03:57:39 PM
My point was more that the lane sign doesn't need to be mounted on the mast arm at all. It's not really relevant to traffic control at the intersection, so why have it there? In that specific pictured example, instead install it as a ground mounted sign (or pair of signs, one on each side of the carriageway) a little ways up from the intersection.

I agree, placing it on the side is perfectly adequate. I don't know exactly why it was placed on the mast arm, since it is indeed unhelpful this far in advance.

roadfro

Quote from: kphoger on January 21, 2019, 04:18:11 PM
Alright, for something different that I would say is pretty unique to MnDOT: sign post braces, and especially the 2 + 1 sign post setup. Two vertical posts, and one angled brace post.

Example

Perhaps other states do use brace posts, but I know of no other DOT that uses them as commonly as MnDOT does.

Ooh!  I didn't think to mention those, but you're right.  I do believe they're also used some in northern British Columbia, but I don't know with what frequency.

Brace posts are very common in Nevada. Used on practically all freeway-grade guide signs not mounted overhead, as well as most mid- & large-size signs of all varieties (guide, service, regulatory, etc.).  Difference here is that NDOT uses two angled posts connecting at the top of the vertical posts to the vertical posts at mid-height behind the sign and both anchored at one spot in the ground.

Edited to clarify bracing and add examples (did this on my phone, sorry if the links aren't formatted properly):

https://goo.gl/maps/aY9rccRmdb32 (back:
https://goo.gl/maps/JusUot3P1W62)
https://goo.gl/maps/nLRThR9fRr32
https://goo.gl/maps/1v2m6cAeogn

Edited again to fix spelling error.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadfro on January 21, 2019, 04:53:00 PM

Example
Brace posts are very common in Nevada. Used on practically all freeway-grade guide signs not mounted overhead, as well as most mid- & large-size signs of all varieties (guide, service, regulatory, etc.).  Difference here is that NDOT uses two angled posts connecting at the top of the vertical posts anchored at one spot in the ground.

An example, in case anyone else was curious. That is definitely unique in its own right!

swhuck

Texas:

Texas U's
LOTS of frontage roads
Loop routes everywhere
Spur routes everywhere
70mph speed limits on many freeways inside the Dallas metroplex (and 75mph on some of the HOT lanes)
Signals on roads posted as high as 75mph

The locals generally don't know how to react when an exit is anything other than a short ramp onto a frontage road or a stack interchange. Cloverleafs are rare, and I can't remember having seen a parclo in the entire state.

Clinched: I-2, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 35, 37, 39, 40, 43, 44, 45, 55, 59, 65, 66, 68, 70, 71, 72, 76 (both), 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 (W), 85, 86 (W), 88 (W), 93, 94, 96, 97
US50, 101, 175, 199, 290, 380, 491/666
Clinched for now: I-11, 14, 49, 57

Thing 342

One thing I haven't seen for VDOT: giving contraflow lanes reverse-facing mile markers. Example: https://goo.gl/maps/Ei3E1nF8dZ32

Pink Jazz

Also, different districts in Virginia seem to use different models of DMS with different specs. The Richmond District has specified full matrix for years, while Hampton Roads only more recently began to specify full matrix for new installations.

Max Rockatansky

FDOT uses six bolts or more on shields/small signs for obvious wind concerns.  Arizona and New Mexico on the other hand combat the problem with frequent use of thicker gauge shields.

kphoger

Quote from: swhuck on January 21, 2019, 05:22:57 PM
Texas:
I can't remember having seen a parclo in the entire state.

They're rare, but they're out there.

Some that came to mind...

Abilene:  US-277 @ US-84 West
Denton:  I-35W @ FM-2449
Decatur:  US-287 @ US-380
Lubbock:  Loop-289 (via frontage roads) @ US-84
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 21, 2019, 09:35:15 PM
Quote from: swhuck on January 21, 2019, 05:22:57 PM
Texas:
I can't remember having seen a parclo in the entire state.

They're rare, but they're out there.

Some that came to mind...

Abilene:  US-277 @ US-84 West
Denton:  I-35W @ FM-2449
Decatur:  US-287 @ US-380
Lubbock:  Loop-289 (via frontage roads) @ US-84

One that I recall is a rather impressive B4-style parclo along US-75 @ Northwest Hwy (Loop 12) in Dallas, complete with through ramps for the frontage road: http://bit.ly/2sH1eFf

I normally don't like Texas-style freeways, but they did a great job with this interchange and the nearby ones, complete with excellent signal placement too. Perhaps the least Texas-y interchange in the state!

DaBigE

MASSDOT:

Yup, wooden is what WisDOT prefers. A significant number of sign substraights are wood as well.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DaBigE on January 21, 2019, 10:01:42 PM
MASSDOT:

Yup, wooden is what WisDOT prefers. A significant number of sign substraights are wood as well.

Very common in the deserts in California.

pdx-wanderer

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 20, 2019, 02:48:01 PM
Oregon:
Speed XX signs where XX is the limit with up to 30 inch lettera. This is sadly going away as ODOT conforms more to MUTCD.
The remaining speed 65T60 signs are at:
I-5 at mp 271
I-205 mp 0-6
I-84 mp 47-63, 72
State highways are not the same as state routes and many highways are unsigned and routes have no mileage.
Mileage is not S to N and W to east always.
No interstate business routes, they are taken by OR 99 and US 30.
An abundance of 2 lane expressways, but a lack of 4 lane roads.
Seems to waste money.

LG-TP260

There is a Speed 65 sign on I-5 south of Ashland as well.

Flint1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 19, 2019, 03:56:29 AM
Quote from: renegade on January 19, 2019, 01:16:54 AM
Lighted "left turn" signs at traffic signals in Michigan.

They're not lit in Oakland County, I assume as a cost-savings measure.  They're not even wired up.  For example:  https://goo.gl/maps/VBxN687xdAm
I've seen them lit before. Don't remember if I ever saw any lit in Oakland County or not though. I have however also seen them not lit before too.

DJ Particle

MASSACHUSETTS:

Until recently, BGS's had exit tabs that were framed as part of the larger sign.  There was no frame break between the exit tab and the rest of the sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.