News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-490 (Western O'Hare Bypass)

Started by JoePCool14, December 02, 2019, 03:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 04, 2019, 11:06:13 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 04, 2019, 09:14:45 AM
I doubt that's the reason. I think it's more for the fact that the WB to SB movement would be seldom used, making flyover construction overkill.

I could see the WB to SB movement getting more traffic than anticipated, especially if SB I-490 to WB IL 390 becomes a popular shortcut over to the I-355 corridor.  Though this would be more on congestion avoidance over saving on tolls (since westbound between the Devon Plaza and I-290 there would be zero tolls versus at least another 65 cents for the I-490/IL 390 option); EB I-290 isn't very useful anymore between I-90 and I-355 after 3 PM, if not earlier on most weekdays
20/20 Hindsight, and no idea if IDOT and ISTHA even considered it...but direct ramps to/from IL 390 and I-355 would be helpful - a lot of weaving is needed to get from the IL 390 Entrance Ramp onto I-290 over to the Left "Exit"  for I-355, and from I-355 North, across I-290 West's merging lanes to the Right-side IL 390 Exit

And its a lot of weaving on a heavily traveled stretch of Expressway/Tollway/Freeway/whatever

If I-490->IL 390->I-355 becomes a very popular route, the I-290/IL 390 interchange might need upgraded to a Full Stack, and also add in the Left side Exit/Entrance Ramps for I-355<->IL 390 Traffic

Joe The Dragon

It seemed like there was room for an 4th (INSIDE) lane from the toll on I-355 to EOE area.  I-pass express used to have an add an lane left in that area.

hobsini2

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 03, 2019, 10:34:11 AM
Quote from: 3467 on December 03, 2019, 08:47:09 AM
755 is right it was the DesPlaines  Oasis. The toll plaza is farther down toward the Kennedy. It looks like Hinsdale and Ohare oasis are going too leaving only 3 over the road ones.

The Des Plaines Oasis over I-90 was demolished years ago. Only when did construction begin on the new highway did the gas stations on each side also close.

The O'Hare Oasis was over I-294 south of O'Hare, and that was demolished fairly recently too. The gas station is still open though. That Oasis wasn't in the path of the new interchange IIRC.

The Hinsdale Oasis is further south on I-294 and last time I checked, still fully operational and standing. However, it will likely come down at some point for widening of the road.

The O'Hare Oasis building was demolished so that the widening of 294 between O'Hare and 95th St to 5 lanes each way can be done. The bridge piers are still up. So it may just be temporary and they build the new building after the widening is completed.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on December 05, 2019, 01:19:21 PM
It seemed like there was room for an 4th (INSIDE) lane from the toll on I-355 to EOE area.  I-pass express used to have an add an lane left in that area.

The grass median south of I-290 is wide enough to get another lane in.  From the I-355/I-290 interchange to near Devon Avenue the median shoulders look wide enough (measuring in Google Maps give a value around 18 feet) for another lane each way.  Rumor had it there were plans to ultimately add a lane southbound from north of the I-290/I-355 split to the Army Trail Road interchange.

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 09, 2020, 12:15:08 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on December 05, 2019, 01:19:21 PM

The grass median south of I-290 is wide enough to get another lane in.  From the I-355/I-290 interchange to near Devon Avenue the median shoulders look wide enough (measuring in Google Maps give a value around 18 feet) for another lane each way.  Rumor had it there were plans to ultimately add a lane southbound from north of the I-290/I-355 split to the Army Trail Road interchange.

Correct me if I am wrong, but any adjustments between I-390 and I-355 on I-290 was predicated on the agreement with CP Rail for changing out the bridge west of Itasca. CP wants IDOT to foot the bill 100%.  Same CP Rail that was in a squabble with ISTHA over the I-390 link in Bensenville.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 08, 2020, 08:29:10 PM
755 is right it was the DesPlaines  Oasis. The toll plaza is farther down toward the Kennedy. It looks like Hinsdale and Ohare oasis are going too leaving only 3 over the road ones.

The Des Plaines Oasis over I-90 was demolished years ago. Only when did construction begin on the new highway did the gas stations on each side also close.

The O'Hare Oasis was over I-294 south of O'Hare, and that was demolished fairly recently too. The gas station is still open though. That Oasis wasn't in the path of the new interchange IIRC.

The Hinsdale Oasis is further south on I-294 and last time I checked, still fully operational and standing. However, it will likely come down at some point for widening of the road.

The O'Hare Oasis building was demolished so that the widening of 294 between O'Hare and 95th St to 5 lanes each way can be done. The bridge piers are still up. So it may just be temporary and they build the new building after the widening is completed.
Nope, not coming back.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 09, 2020, 07:33:52 PM

Nope, not coming back.

That's what I thought, although it'd be nice if it did.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

The Ghostbuster

Maybe when Interstate 490 is completed, it could be renamed the American Airlines Flight 191 Memorial Tollway, after the 1979 crash, since the road will pass through the area where the plane went down.

Beltway

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 11, 2020, 04:28:05 PM
Maybe when Interstate 490 is completed, it could be renamed the American Airlines Flight 191 Memorial Tollway, after the 1979 crash, since the road will pass through the area where the plane went down.

Have any highways been named after airline disasters?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Beltway on February 11, 2020, 10:29:49 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 11, 2020, 04:28:05 PM

Have any highways been named after airline disasters?
I believe a highway is named after Flight 90 in PA.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ET21

They haven't redone the median concrete like they did just north of the oasis. Those piers will probably come down once they begin to rebuild the median and the concrete lanes.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

The Ghostbuster

That highway named after a plane crash in Pennsylvania (US 219) is named after Flight 93, the plane that crashed within the state on 9/11. My suggestion to name 490 after Flight 191 came after looking at the location of the former Des Plaines service area on Google Maps, and seeing an "American Airlines Flight 191 Crash site" marker on the map just south of the service area's location. Prior to seeing that, I had no idea what it meant. It wasn't until after looking on the internet (Wikipedia) and learning about Flight 191's crash did I make the suggestion (maybe not the brightest idea I've ever had) that the highway be named in memoriam of that crash. After all, that May 25, 1979 crash killed all 258 passengers and all 13 flight crew members, which at the time was the deadliest aviation crash in the United States to that date. The Wikipedia story is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_191.

SEWIGuy

Not to sound crass, but Flight 93 is recognized because of the selfless act of downing the plane before it could plow into the White House on one of the darkest days in our nation's history.  Flight 191 was an accident.  Lives were lost either way, but naming a highway after an accident doesn't seem appropriate.  That would be like renaming the Kennedy the "Great Chicago Fire Highway."

Beltway

United Flight 93 wasn't an aviation accident, it was an act of war, and quite a bit more famous than AA Flight 191.

There were 3 other such crashes on the same day.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 12, 2020, 05:21:32 PM
Not to sound crass, but Flight 93 is recognized because of the selfless act of downing the plane before it could plow into the White House on one of the darkest days in our nation's history.  Flight 191 was an accident.  Lives were lost either way, but naming a highway after an accident doesn't seem appropriate.  That would be like renaming the Kennedy the "Great Chicago Fire Highway."

United 93 was not purposely crashed into that abandoned strip coal mine, rather the passengers, including a licensed private pilot with a multi-engine rating and an FAA tower controller on a personal vacation, tried to take the airplane back from the terrorists - and almost succeeded.  In the process, they saved the Capitol.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on February 12, 2020, 10:29:52 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 12, 2020, 05:21:32 PM

United 93 was not purposely crashed into that abandoned strip coal mine, rather the passengers, including a licensed private pilot with a multi-engine rating and an FAA tower controller on a personal vacation, tried to take the airplane back from the terrorists - and almost succeeded.

Mike

Not sure what I said was any different but whatever...

Beltway

Quote from: mgk920 on February 12, 2020, 10:29:52 PM
United 93 was not purposely crashed into that abandoned strip coal mine, rather the passengers, including a licensed private pilot with a multi-engine rating and an FAA tower controller on a personal vacation, tried to take the airplane back from the terrorists - and almost succeeded.  In the process, they saved the Capitol.

Not to question anything, but this is the first time I've heard that there was someone on board that had the kind of piloting certification and experience to have a reasonable ability to fly the plane at least to an emergency landing.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

edwaleni

I too was wondering how to memorialize the death of the AA passengers and crew that the highway will go right over.  I am thinking a usual green sign  noting the location is adequate.

And yes, accidents do get memorialized to a lesser extent.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: edwaleni on February 13, 2020, 10:15:32 AM
I too was wondering how to memorialize the death of the AA passengers and crew that the highway will go right over.  I am thinking a usual green sign  noting the location is adequate.

And those are just as inane as this would be.

X99

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 13, 2020, 02:34:00 PM

You think those signs are inane? Tell that to the South Dakota state government. They've put up at least 1,000 signs like that all over the state.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

SEWIGuy

Quote from: X99 on February 13, 2020, 03:06:44 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 13, 2020, 02:34:00 PM

You think those signs are inane? Tell that to the South Dakota state government. They've put up at least 1,000 signs like that all over the state.

Yes.  I think they are terrible. 

Big John

Then there is Montana where the American Legion put up 2500 roadside crosses since the 1950s.

lstone19

Quote from: edwaleni on February 09, 2020, 06:13:14 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but any adjustments between I-390 and I-355 on I-290 was predicated on the agreement with CP Rail for changing out the bridge west of Itasca. CP wants IDOT to foot the bill 100%.  Same CP Rail that was in a squabble with ISTHA over the I-390 link in Bensenville.

As I understand things, Metra owns that line although CP operates freight trains on it and has operational control (meaning it is dispatched by CP dispatchers and is in the CP employee's timetable (for a railroad, the employee's timetable is where speed limits and special instructions are listed)). But I believe any capital spending is controlled by Metra.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: lstone19 on February 13, 2020, 11:30:48 PM

As I understand things, Metra owns that line although CP operates freight trains on it and has operational control (meaning it is dispatched by CP dispatchers and is in the CP employee's timetable (for a railroad, the employee's timetable is where speed limits and special instructions are listed)). But I believe any capital spending is controlled by Metra.
maybe they can get one lane in there with no shoulder just for that one point.

edwaleni

Quote from: lstone19 on February 13, 2020, 11:30:48 PM

It is true that Metra owns most of the ROW, CP Rail has trackage and haulage rights along that specific route, all the way into the city to service what few remaining online customers are left.

This would include the overpass at I-290 in Itasca.  However when IDOT proposed the changes to the bridge, it was CP Rail who complained the loudest because they use the line to get freight in and out between Bensenville and Spaulding Yards.

CP Rail owns the line from Sabula to Spaulding (Elgin). Metra owns 2 tracks from Spaulding to CUS except for tracks from Bryn Maur to the Bensenville Yard to the IHB. Metra only owns the two tracks on the north side of the yard, but the rest belongs to CP.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.