News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kernals12 on July 16, 2022, 10:00:12 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 16, 2022, 08:44:41 PM
It was the brainchild of the mayor of Union NJ. The state wanted to widen the roadway, but the township didn't want to lose the tax revenue, so they built the new westbound lanes behind existing businesses. Its not clever, its hell. Try driving it sometime.

Can't be as hellish as a typical 4 lane undivided stroad where it's just one red light after another.

In modern times, it would be considered extremely pedestrian unfriendly since there's no ped access to the stores in the median. (Ironically, just to the east of this area, there's a ped walkway over 22...with no proper pedestrian crossings to get anywhere on the south side of 22.)

But overall, it's just not a popular design, which is why you don't usually see it duplicated anywhere.  Your left turn issue is simply mitigated by protected left turn lights (or in NJ's case at some intersections, jughandles).

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on July 16, 2022, 08:50:26 PM
I used to drive that stretch as a young guy back in the 1970's and I always found it an interesting area. But I guess with today's traffic, it's probably become antiquated and dangerous.

Does anyone know what year that widening took place? Definitely before 1958 when I first rode thru there with my parents and saw the ship in the median. Anyone know if that's still there?

The businesses in the median are called by locals as The Center Aisle.

,My dad said all of US 22 from Chimney Rock Road to US 1 and 9 in Newark was a three lane highway with a bidirectional passing lane in the median.

If you notice in the Bridgewater Somerville area the same wide median set up is also where the westbound lanes were added behind existing businesses previously.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: famartin on July 16, 2022, 10:09:35 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on July 16, 2022, 10:00:12 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 16, 2022, 08:44:41 PM
It was the brainchild of the mayor of Union NJ. The state wanted to widen the roadway, but the township didn't want to lose the tax revenue, so they built the new westbound lanes behind existing businesses. Its not clever, its hell. Try driving it sometime.

Can't be as hellish as a typical 4 lane undivided stroad where it's just one red light after another.

I rarely use it, but have been told it's usually stop and go during rush hour.

I can tell by your use of STROAD that you're a road dieter...
And for many hours outside of that. It really is that bad because the businesses are so busy in the median, there is no fast lane. At least other highways the left lane can move, here both outside lanes have driveways and cross streets and the center lane is just all traffic crossing from one to the other side. It truly is heck.

NJRoadfan

The eastbound side has 3 lanes so you can at least try and avoid most of the chaos by just staying in the middle. Most of the traffic cutting across isn't even going somewhere on 22. There are no overpasses between South Springfield Ave. to the west and Chestnut St. to the east, so all traffic going north-south in that part of the county is forced onto 22, only to u-turn and cut back across. Another fun relic of the past is that there used to be an at grade railroad crossing in the middle of this mess for the long defunct Rahway Valley RR.

http://www.trainweb.org/rahwayvalley/route_union_route22.htm

Oh, and lest we can forget Jean Shepard's ode to Route 22: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rke5xFNO0og

roadman65

I find that interesting that no cross streets are between Chestnut Street and CR 577. You have Union County Route 617 as a RIRO at the McDonalds that only heads south from the EB lanes and Springfield Road is a pair of RIROs.  The latter is a lightly traveled arterial to the south, but north it's a thoroughfare to NJ 82 somewhat.

It's a very populated area and yet no major intersections along that stretch.

Sheryl Crowe

interstate73

Quote from: kernals12 on July 16, 2022, 11:51:02 AM
Does anyone know the story of the section of US 22 in Springfield and Union where it becomes a one-way pair?

I think it's an extremely clever design since it gets rid of left turns.

"Clever" in the sense of Satan inventing it as a novel form of torture maybe.. as others have said it works pretty horribly in practice. On top of the obvious (terrible pedestrian access, which I know personally from risking my life many times to go to the 7/11 in the median) it compounds the RIRO access problem endemic to Jersey freeways by having RIRO on BOTH sides of the carriageway. There's a reason the design hasn't been widely copied!!!
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

Alps

Quote from: interstate73 on July 18, 2022, 10:18:39 PM
Does anyone know the story of the section of US 22 in Springfield and Union where it becomes a one-way pair?

"Clever" in the sense of Satan inventing it as a novel form of torture maybe.. as others have said it works pretty horribly in practice. On top of the obvious (terrible pedestrian access, which I know personally from risking my life many times to go to the 7/11 in the median) it compounds the RIRO access problem endemic to Jersey freeways by having RIRO on BOTH sides of the carriageway. There's a reason the design hasn't been widely copied!!!
Terrible pedestrian access? No. No pedestrian access. No crosswalks. Nothing.

roadman65

What's interesting is the Vauxhall Road interchange there is a staircase leading down from Vauxhall Road to US 22 for pedestrian access to the highway.  If you look on the quadrant of the interchange on the south end you will see it.

https://goo.gl/maps/BNPpEzrHycRxR7q98

I'm guessing it's from an old bus stop that was on US 22 that is long gone.

https://goo.gl/maps/mDtw1dG85EqYjC3t6
A similar one on the opposite end as well.

I also see, on another topic, that the overhead signs on US 22 at the Parkway all have been removed as part of the bridge and interchange rehabilitation project.
https://goo.gl/maps/MaLzhn21oZUKFz6w6

What's more interesting is no temporary ground signs to guide motorists to both NJ 82 and The Parkway exits.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 18, 2022, 11:01:10 AM
I find that interesting that no cross streets are between Chestnut Street and CR 577. You have Union County Route 617 as a RIRO at the McDonalds that only heads south from the EB lanes and Springfield Road is a pair of RIROs.  The latter is a lightly traveled arterial to the south, but north it's a thoroughfare to NJ 82 somewhat.

It's a very populated area and yet no major intersections along that stretch.

Michigan Ave is a roundabout way to Morris Ave, but its main use is to get to and from the Boulevard in Kennelworth.

storm2k

What in the hell is clever about this design? This stretch of roadway is extremely dangerous. You frequently see people zoom out of one of the median businesses driveways and just drive perpendicular across the roadway to get to a side street or to a driveway to a business on the right side of the road regardless of what traffic is coming. Or they'll get out into the left shoulder and Jersey Sweep their way across. And that's not even counting all the U-Turns, several of which the state has closed to try to make things safer.

Honestly, the best outcome to ever happen to this stretch would be for the state to take all the properties in the median via emenent domain and build proper thru lanes and turn the existing roadways into service roads so that people can travel through this area in a safer manner while allowing for entrance and exit to businesses along the right sides of the roadway. That's never going to happen though.

tsmatt13

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5794031,-74.5913902,1596m/data=!3m1!1e3

This stretch of US-22 also has businesses in the median, although more sparse. It's a stranger design since there are no median U-turn ramps.
Interstates & freeways clinched: 16, 78, 87 (NY), 97, 287, 295 (NJ/PA/DE), 676, ACE, GSP

storm2k

Quote from: tsmatt13 on July 19, 2022, 12:32:28 PM

This stretch of US-22 also has businesses in the median, although more sparse. It's a stranger design since there are no median U-turn ramps.

There used to be a lot more U-Turn ramps. In fact, most of them were left/U-Turn ramps (reference this HA shot, for example). Over the past 30ish years, NJDOT has slowly been closing the U-Turn ramps because there were high rates of accidents. That U/Left to Adamsville Rd used to have accidents all the time because drivers were trying to cross 3 lanes of traffic moving at 55-60mph to get to the side street. At this point, there aren't any left hand U-Turns along this stretch. They're not needed anyway. There are multiple overpasses with interchanges (Foothill Rd, Grove/Bridge Streets, 202-206, plus the jughandle at Somerset Corp Drive) where U-Turns can be safely made.

tsmatt13

Quote from: storm2k on July 19, 2022, 02:34:38 PM
There used to be a lot more U-Turn ramps. In fact, most of them were left/U-Turn ramps (reference this HA shot, for example). Over the past 30ish years, NJDOT has slowly been closing the U-Turn ramps because there were high rates of accidents. That U/Left to Adamsville Rd used to have accidents all the time because drivers were trying to cross 3 lanes of traffic moving at 55-60mph to get to the side street. At this point, there aren't any left hand U-Turns along this stretch. They're not needed anyway. There are multiple overpasses with interchanges (Foothill Rd, Grove/Bridge Streets, 202-206, plus the jughandle at Somerset Corp Drive) where U-Turns can be safely made.
That's interesting! Unfortunately, where one of those U-turn ramps were located is now a speed trap area most of the time.
Interstates & freeways clinched: 16, 78, 87 (NY), 97, 287, 295 (NJ/PA/DE), 676, ACE, GSP

storm2k

Quote from: tsmatt13 on July 19, 2022, 03:41:28 PM
That's interesting! Unfortunately, where one of those U-turn ramps were located is now a speed trap area most of the time.

Bridgewater cops have liked to hunt on that stretch of road for basically ever. That's not new. For a while the speed limit on the stretch from Grove to the 287 ramp was lowered to 45, but that's been reversed back to the standard 55. That area is also one of NJ's "safe corridors" so pulling you over is lucrative for the township as they collect double fines.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on July 19, 2022, 04:38:37 PM
Quote from: tsmatt13 on July 19, 2022, 03:41:28 PM

Bridgewater cops have liked to hunt on that stretch of road for basically ever. That's not new. For a while the speed limit on the stretch from Grove to the 287 ramp was lowered to 45, but that's been reversed back to the standard 55. That area is also one of NJ's "safe corridors" so pulling you over is lucrative for the township as they collect double fines.

Not really, and not directly.

When a ticket is issued, much of the money doesn't stay with the municipality.  It goes to the muni, county and/or state, depending on who writes the ticket.  For the most part, if a municipal officer writes a ticket, after deducting for various fees and funds within a the cost of the fine, the municipality will receive about half of what's remaining.  For a $100 ticket, that's going to amount to around $30 or so.  In a 'Safe Corridor', the excess fine first goes to the state, which then provides grants to the municipalities for certain equipment, salaries, programs, projects, or initiatives.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on July 19, 2022, 10:27:08 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 18, 2022, 11:01:10 AM
I find that interesting that no cross streets are between Chestnut Street and CR 577. You have Union County Route 617 as a RIRO at the McDonalds that only heads south from the EB lanes and Springfield Road is a pair of RIROs.  The latter is a lightly traveled arterial to the south, but north it’s a thoroughfare to NJ 82 somewhat.

It’s a very populated area and yet no major intersections along that stretch.

Michigan Ave is a roundabout way to Morris Ave, but its main use is to get to and from the Boulevard in Kennelworth.

Read the post. I didn’t say Michigan Avenue was shortcut to Morris Avenue, but Springfield Road was. 

Quote from: tsmatt13 on July 19, 2022, 12:32:28 PM

The median ramps were once plentiful back in the eighties and before.

I am surprised that North Gaston Avenue wasn’t instead signalized as that has the traffic counts to warrant such a signal.  Adamsville Road, though, not so much. Chimney Rock Road, however, was interchanged via municipal money as Bridgewater Township flipped that bill to restore full cross traffic that was once a Michigan Left set up previously. Though for several years it was a RIRO pair until a few years ago when Bridgewater decided to build the interchange to restore Chimney Rock Road’s continuous status.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/cFLgpn7YJ68rhNrq9

https://goo.gl/maps/6sg7zkoRnvYqgxKY6

What's up here with wires supplying power to the signals?  Did NJDOT forget how to install underground conduits to the signal poles?

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on July 19, 2022, 08:06:57 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/cFLgpn7YJ68rhNrq9

https://goo.gl/maps/6sg7zkoRnvYqgxKY6

What's up here with wires supplying power to the signals?  Did NJDOT forget how to install underground conduits to the signal poles?

Just normal techniques for construction, often involving replacing signals and equipment.

tsmatt13

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.739361,-74.0780388,3a,21.1y,104.64h,104.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swpEzg6vWUC11u7ploD1TAA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Interesting BGS design on the new Wittpenn Bridge carrying NJ-7 eastbound (erected in 2021 IIRC): the "Holland Tunnel" barely fits inside the sign. Also it looks like they've ditched the black borders around the route shields...

roadman65

I remember when those signals above were not wired from above. Though some intersections did had a connecting wire if you had two four way heads on opposite corners. One signal was at the supply while the other was fed by a wire across diagonally.

https://goo.gl/maps/PEfRB79g2AokbX7P9
This one was that way for ages. In fact the pole on the right is planted in the ground as that was the norm at one time. I'm guessing it was in the 50s when bolts to foundations began becoming normal pole mounting.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Quote from: tsmatt13 on July 19, 2022, 08:33:42 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.739361,-74.0780388,3a,21.1y,104.64h,104.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swpEzg6vWUC11u7ploD1TAA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Interesting BGS design on the new Wittpenn Bridge carrying NJ-7 eastbound (erected in 2021 IIRC): the "Holland Tunnel" barely fits inside the sign. Also it looks like they've ditched the black borders around the route shields...

Ditto for Lincoln Tunnel on the left sign. Maybe they were supposed to be abbreviated as Tun. That would have fit better on both signs. Or maybe they just squeezed it in the best they could within the signs that could not exceed a lane-width.

storm2k

Quote from: tsmatt13 on July 19, 2022, 08:33:42 PM

Welcome to the wonderful new world of NJDOT BGS design. It's pretty terrible if you honestly ask me. Weird sizing, weird spacing, and the newer thing is information overload on many signs. If you find some of my posts in this thread (or just check my Flickr, you'll see examples of this that I've been taking pictures of around the state, especially since the state is engaged in numerous sign replacement projects (mostly to finally replace many of the triangle truss overhead structures which are EOL). Also, yes, no more backplates on route shields. I feel like this is a detriment as I always felt like the backplates made it easier to see the shields, but that's what the MUTCD mandates.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 19, 2022, 07:36:37 PM
I am surprised that North Gaston Avenue wasn't instead signalized as that has the traffic counts to warrant such a signal.  Adamsville Road, though, not so much. Chimney Rock Road, however, was interchanged via municipal money as Bridgewater Township flipped that bill to restore full cross traffic that was once a Michigan Left set up previously. Though for several years it was a RIRO pair until a few years ago when Bridgewater decided to build the interchange to restore Chimney Rock Road's continuous status.

Pretty sure the thinking was that it was just cheaper and easier to close the U/Left there and just put up the signs directing drivers to use the Grove street ramp to turn around and reach Gaston that way. Also prevented having all that traffic on 22 from having to stop yet another light, which is a bonus.

And the Chimney Rock Rd thing achieved several goals for both the township and the state. It improved access as the two new commercial strips were built on the north side of the roadway, it eliminated the at grade RR crossing from the main highway (I know it is only used very sparingly late at night but any RR crossing elimination is a good thing... it was actually cool to see NJT sending the two diesel engines down the track to the quarry to pick up the cars as they handle that part, not a freight company!) and since Somerset County rebuilt the roadway to actually connect Chimney Rock's both ends with a full road, traffic no longer needs to curve onto Thompson Ave and this takes a lot of traffic headed for Route 28 out of a residential neighborhood in Bound Brook and routes it through the commercial area. Plus, NJDOT is planning to improve the intersection of Chimney Rock and Rt 28 to put dedicated left turn signals on Chimney Rock in and realign some geometry which should help the backups at that intersection.

roadman65

Yeah, but west of US 202 & 206 they have no problem adding signals though. Why is it problematic here?

In the early 80s there were only three stop lights between Somerville and Annandale.  CR 523 was added in 1985 replacing a flashing beacon.  The rest were added sporadically starting with Ethicon Drive and the office park just east of NJ 28. Then Milltown Road received its signal in August 90. In fact it got turned on the day I moved out of NJ.  Orr Road came afterwards as it's Jughandle was being constructed as I left Jersey. 

Then rest all happened from 1990 to today.  Even the median crossovers were eliminated between US 202 & 206 to CR 614 in North Branch which I'm not complaining. Although it took long enough to add a jug handle at Milltown Road as NJDOT just posted no left turn signage to save money on a protected left turn phase.  Oh that's okay, just use CR 614 to circumvent until we construct a loop ramp.

Then US 202 has seen more than its share in Branchburg and Readington as for many years from Old York Road to Three Bridges Road was signal less.  Then of course they did avoid a signal at Center Hill,  they created a pair of RIRO due to the limited sight distance of the Pleasant Hill Road Intersection has from drivers on 202.  I have to admit adding a signal at Pleasant Hill would have created more accidents than saving any.

I do like the J Turn set up on US 202 as that makes u turns more safer. A driver can shoot across two lanes before swinging around to come in again at a better angle.   That's one thing other states should use is the turnout on the other side of median breaks like NJ does on US 202 IMO.

NJ can be cheap in one area but not in another.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on July 20, 2022, 08:48:33 AMAlso, yes, no more backplates on route shields. I feel like this is a detriment as I always felt like the backplates made it easier to see the shields, but that's what the MUTCD mandates.
Add them in the other 49 states and let us know

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.