Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myosh_tino

Quote from: 7/8 on August 25, 2017, 09:08:59 PM
US 480, and some California cities (did this highway ever exist?).

480 did exist in San Francisco as the Embarcadero Freeway.  Originally an Interstate, it was later downgraded to a California state route before the 1989 Loma Prieta quake damaged the double-deck freeway enough that it was torn down.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

US 89

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 26, 2017, 12:06:45 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on August 25, 2017, 09:08:59 PM
US 480, and some California cities (did this highway ever exist?).

480 did exist in San Francisco as the Embarcadero Freeway.  Originally an Interstate, it was later downgraded to a California state route before the 1989 Loma Prieta quake damaged the double-deck freeway enough that it was torn down.

I believe he was referring to the US 480 designation, which has never existed.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 26, 2017, 01:41:46 AM
I believe he was referring to the US 480 designation, which has never existed.

Right, but according to Google Maps it is approximately 390 miles from San Francisco to Los Angeles, which suggests that the distances on this sign are correct, even if the sign is the wrong colors and refers to the wrong route type.

JJBers

Well, this is odd.

Uses a regular RI sign for the number and direction, but uses a yellow "WEST" sign at the top.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

KEVIN_224

Staying in Rhode Island...this "beauty" is along US 6 Bypass in Johnston. It clearly dates to when I-295 opened here:

Mapmikey

Quote from: JJBers on August 27, 2017, 01:00:15 AM
Well, this is odd.

Uses a regular RI sign for the number and direction, but uses a yellow "WEST" sign at the top.

Did not start out yellow...faded to it:

https://goo.gl/maps/mB9LAB414TK2

jakeroot

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 27, 2017, 10:19:28 AM
Quote from: JJBers on August 27, 2017, 01:00:15 AM
Well, this is odd.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4421/35997511894_899a3167b2_z.jpg

Did not start out yellow...faded to it:

https://goo.gl/maps/mB9LAB414TK2

Interesting. I'm used to seeing signs fade from "color" to "no color", not the other way around. Must be the result of the fabrication style?

D-Dey65

jakeroot

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 28, 2017, 11:49:19 AM
Another unusual one in Bushnell, Florida:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:EB_Sumter_CR_610_@_CR_616_in_Bushnell.jpg

Brilliant. I love seeing custom symbol signs like this. Too bad this isn't a standard sign.

^^ Riiga, check this out ^^

riiga

Certainly unique! The pictogram could be better though, the ditch symbol to the left looks like the dip symbol in Europe. Something like

would probably be better, though this is "soft verge or dangerous shoulder".

JJBers

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 27, 2017, 07:13:40 AM
Staying in Rhode Island...this "beauty" is along US 6 Bypass in Johnston. It clearly dates to when I-295 opened here:

No Attleboro...aww
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

US71

Sanborn, MN, has a retro feel to it

New London, MN
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

Quote from: US71 on August 30, 2017, 08:54:53 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4385/36017567813_313dcab3fc_z_d.jpg

New London, MN

What's the context of this one? Looks like a slip lane, but the 71 shield indicates that you can turn left, so that must not be the case.

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on August 30, 2017, 10:05:07 AM
Quote from: US71 on August 30, 2017, 08:54:53 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4385/36017567813_313dcab3fc_z_d.jpg

New London, MN

What's the context of this one? Looks like a slip lane, but the 71 shield indicates that you can turn left, so that must not be the case.

I'm guessing it's a bad intersection

The 71 & 9 signs are off kilter.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Those intersection warning signs, or a variant of them, are becoming more common. There are sensors that indicate when traffic is approaching from the cross road to alert motorists that a driver may pull across traffic. They are commonly used at intersections where drivers run stop signs or otherwise pull out into oncoming traffic and there is a high crash history.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

theline

Quote from: hbelkins on August 30, 2017, 03:05:37 PM
Those intersection warning signs, or a variant of them, are becoming more common. There are sensors that indicate when traffic is approaching from the cross road to alert motorists that a driver may pull across traffic. They are commonly used at intersections where drivers run stop signs or otherwise pull out into oncoming traffic and there is a high crash history.

I spotted one of those signs on US 431 on eclipse day, though I can't remember just where. It was the first time I had seen one, so perhaps they are more prevalent in the Bluegrass State.

Truvelo

Speed limits limit life

D-Dey65

Quote from: riiga on August 29, 2017, 02:32:04 PM
Certainly unique! The pictogram could be better though, the ditch symbol to the left looks like the dip symbol in Europe. Something like

We already have "Soft Shoulder" signs in the US. This goes beyond a mere soft shoulder, though.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Truvelo on August 30, 2017, 05:20:19 PM
The 5 on this sign looks a little dodgy.

That 5 looks like the ones that used to posted above gasoline pumps... prior to the prices going over $1/gallon.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 30, 2017, 11:23:37 PM
Quote from: riiga on August 29, 2017, 02:32:04 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/Czech_Republic_road_sign_A_28.svg/200px-Czech_Republic_road_sign_A_28.svg.png

We already have "Soft Shoulder" signs in the US. This goes beyond a mere soft shoulder, though.

Technically we have every sign, in that we can put any text on a warning sign and call it good. But we don't have a symbol sign to represent it. Though I'm not sure we need this particular sign, since most roads have paved shoulders.

A ditch symbol sign would be nice though. Especially if the ditches have tall grass that give the illusion of a soft shoulder. Potentially quite dangerous.

7/8

I like this sign on US 15 north of Frederick, MD (heading NB). It lets you know that the freeway is ending and turning into a divided highway, and that the speed limit switches to 55, all in one sign!

plain

^ Nice sign. I travelled that section years ago but don't remember it. I've always been a fan of Maryland's signs, they're usually a nice size and easy to read. Even their state route markers and shields on BGS's are bigger than most states.
Newark born, Richmond bred

wanderer2575

Quote from: plain on September 09, 2017, 04:36:12 PM
^ Nice sign. I travelled that section years ago but don't remember it. I've always been a fan of Maryland's signs, they're usually a nice size and easy to read. Even their state route markers and shields on BGS's are bigger than most states.

What I don't like about Maryland's signs is the inconsistency of font sizes and shield sizes across multiple signs together...

(three signs, three design standards)

... or even within the same sign.

This sign for exit 14A looks like it's on steroids, compared to the other two:

plain

^ I never said they were the prettiest  :-D but still one of my favorite states sign wise. I also agree about the lack of consistency (especially along the Capital Beltway)
Newark born, Richmond bred

Mr. Matté

At least the words/numerals are proportional to the standard CR shield unlike Mercer's new shields.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.