News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RIP-Rochester Inner Loop East

Started by ARMOURERERIC, November 23, 2014, 03:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on April 05, 2016, 11:03:43 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 05, 2016, 09:39:24 PM
Can I just say, as a casual traveler to Rochester for family visits, that I never found the Inner Loop to be useful at all?

You can. But can I also say, as a once-lifelong resident, that I found it quite useful in several ways, albeit very specific ones. For example, when traveling from the SE part of the city, as I often was, to the NE quadrant of downtown, as I often was, the Inner Loop made for a handy bypass of the Broad St. and East Ave. intersections with Union St. (which served to replace the never-built connection between I-490 WB and the counter-clockwise Inner Loop).

(This did not work for the reverse commute, however; indeed, one of the loop's biggest drawbacks was the lack of certain connections in certain directions.)

Also, whenever I had an alignment or any work done on my car that would affect its handling, I would routinely take it out for a lap or two on the Inner Loop as a sort of test track.

I once drove out there with a friend of mine and we did time trials on the loop. This was several years ago.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: empirestate on April 05, 2016, 11:03:43 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 05, 2016, 09:39:24 PM
Can I just say, as a casual traveler to Rochester for family visits, that I never found the Inner Loop to be useful at all?

You can. But can I also say, as a once-lifelong resident, that I found it quite useful in several ways, albeit very specific ones. For example, when traveling from the SE part of the city, as I often was, to the NE quadrant of downtown, as I often was, the Inner Loop made for a handy bypass of the Broad St. and East Ave. intersections with Union St. (which served to replace the never-built connection between I-490 WB and the counter-clockwise Inner Loop).

(This did not work for the reverse commute, however; indeed, one of the loop's biggest drawbacks was the lack of certain connections in certain directions.)

Also, whenever I had an alignment or any work done on my car that would affect its handling, I would routinely take it out for a lap or two on the Inner Loop as a sort of test track.
I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of the I-490 WB to Inner Loop connection is ultimately what doomed that part of the loop.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

8.Lug

Quote from: vdeane on April 18, 2016, 03:07:42 PM
Now they're talking about removing still MORE of the Inner Loop...
http://therochesterian.com/2016/04/14/northern-inner-loops-problem/
Yeah that's not gonna happen. MAJOR amount of traffic uses that section to get to/from the east side of the city. And a huge LOL to considering round-abouts. People love to blame Americans for not knowing how to drive, but the biggest problem to a round-about is our very large vehicles - and I'm not talking about our SUV's either. I'm talking about commercial vehicles. Our local delivery trucks are damn near the size of European long-haul lorries. And sorry, but there's no way a sleeper pulling a 40ft box is gonna navigate a sea of those stupid circles.
Contrary to popular belief, things are exactly as they seem.

vdeane

Even more major amounts of traffic use the I-81 viaduct, and there's serious talk of removing that (and I suspect that it'll happen, due to the lack of money to rebuilt the viaduct).

As for your comments on roundabouts, that's what truck aprons are for.

8.Lug

Quote from: vdeane on June 11, 2016, 05:42:22 PM
As for your comments on roundabouts, that's what truck aprons are for.
That's great for single-lane roundabouts, but Main St is three lanes right there.

I don't know how to get a link to a zoomed-in area on google maps but here are the coordinates:
43°09'34.5"N 77°35'44.1"W

vdeane

Works for double lane too; the truck has to yield to all lanes (as do all other vehicles, for that matter) and vehicles entering the roundabout have to yield to the truck.  In any case, if the bike/ped advocates are driving this, don't be surprised if they do a road diet on Main Street as part of the project.

8.Lug

Three lanes per side. 7 lanes wide total with the center turn lane.

vdeane

Hence why they would want to do a road diet.  If they don't like the Inner Loop, do you think they like an expanse of pavement with three lanes each way and a turn lane?  Let's note that the AADT of Main St just west of the Inner Loop is less than what the AADT of Union St will be when the Inner Loop removal project is done, and Union St will only be two lanes wide (TOTAL).

silverback1065

Quote from: vdeane on June 13, 2016, 06:40:13 PM
Hence why they would want to do a road diet.  If they don't like the Inner Loop, do you think they like an expanse of pavement with three lanes each way and a turn lane?  Let's note that the AADT of Main St just west of the Inner Loop is less than what the AADT of Union St will be when the Inner Loop removal project is done, and Union St will only be two lanes wide (TOTAL).

I know nothing about this area's traffic patterns, but was this ever a highly used freeway ever?  I feel like this was never a good idea to build from day one.  Did this, or was this supposed to get a freeway number?  or does this have a secret number (unsigned but on the books as a number)?

Roadgeek Adam

NY 940T is the Inner Loop designation.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cl94

Here's a little bit of info: every limited-access highway in New York, regardless of who maintains it, has a number. This includes, but is not limited to, the three portions of the Thruway system without an Interstate designation, all limited-access parkways and certain at-grade parkways in New York City.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on June 13, 2016, 10:34:09 PM
Here's a little bit of info: every limited-access highway in New York, regardless of who maintains it, has a number.

With one exception...who can guess it? ;-)

iPhone

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on June 13, 2016, 11:19:26 PM
Quote from: cl94 on June 13, 2016, 10:34:09 PM
Here's a little bit of info: every limited-access highway in New York, regardless of who maintains it, has a number.

With one exception...who can guess it? ;-)

iPhone

Damn. Forgot about that one. Yes, I know what it is. I'll let someone else guess it. Hint: it is not maintained by a local municipality.

mariethefoxy

JFK Expressway maintained by the Port Authority.

NE2

Quote from: mariethefoxy on June 14, 2016, 12:40:03 AM
JFK Expressway maintained by the Port Authority.
And the Lincoln Tunnel Expressway (Dyer Avenue?).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Isn't that modern-day NY 495?

NE2

Quote from: vdeane on June 16, 2016, 12:59:23 PM
Nope - the expressway continues to 31st Street (and is about 7 blocks long after the 34th Street ramps leave).

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on June 17, 2016, 11:46:32 PM
Nope - the expressway continues to 31st Street (and is about 7 blocks long after the 34th Street ramps leave).
Is NY 495 defined continuously along 34th St.?

cl94

Quote from: Alps on June 18, 2016, 01:29:53 PM

No, at least not according to traffic data reports and the Official Description. Discontinuous between the tunnels.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on June 18, 2016, 02:26:09 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 18, 2016, 01:29:53 PM

No, at least not according to traffic data reports and the Official Description. Discontinuous between the tunnels.
Where does one find the Official Description?

NE2

Quote from: Alps on June 19, 2016, 01:19:28 AM
http://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/oom/transportation-systems/repository/2012%20tour-bk.pdf

I 495 Queens-Midtown Tunnel on Long Island Expressway to Brooklyn Queens Expressway (I 278) and Van Wyck Expressway (I 678) on Long Island Expressway to Riverhead (NY 25) — Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties. (also see NY 495)

NY 495 Brooklyn Queens Expressway (I 278), Van Wyck Expressway (I 678) — Queens County. (also see I 495)

In other words, the Lincoln Tunnel is unnumbered.

cl94

Quote from: NE2 on June 19, 2016, 10:16:50 AM
http://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/oom/transportation-systems/repository/2012%20tour-bk.pdf

I 495 Queens-Midtown Tunnel on Long Island Expressway to Brooklyn Queens Expressway (I 278) and Van Wyck Expressway (I 678) on Long Island Expressway to Riverhead (NY 25) — Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties. (also see NY 495)

NY 495 Brooklyn Queens Expressway (I 278), Van Wyck Expressway (I 678) — Queens County. (also see I 495)

I think one of the logs lists the tunnel as NY 495. In case of discrepancy, the log is typically "correct" regarding secret designations.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on June 19, 2016, 12:41:23 PM

I think one of the logs lists the tunnel as NY 495. In case of discrepancy, the log is typically "correct" regarding secret designations.

I would say the inventory file, rather than the route log. The most recent still lists NY 495 on the Lincoln Tunnel and to 34th Street.
https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/engineering/technical-services/highway-data-services/inventory-listing

Roadrunner75

Quote from: empirestate on June 19, 2016, 01:23:03 PM
Quote from: cl94 on June 19, 2016, 12:41:23 PM

I 495 Queens-Midtown Tunnel on Long Island Expressway to Brooklyn Queens Expressway (I 278) and Van Wyck Expressway (I 678) on Long Island Expressway to Riverhead (NY 25) – Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties. (also see NY 495)

NY 495 Brooklyn Queens Expressway (I 278), Van Wyck Expressway (I 678) – Queens County. (also see I 495)

I would say the inventory file, rather than the route log. The most recent still lists NY 495 on the Lincoln Tunnel and to 34th Street.
https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/engineering/technical-services/highway-data-services/inventory-listing
I remember years ago (maybe in the 90s) that NY 495 was actually signed in Manhattan (NY shield and not interstate) - I believe actually along 42nd St. and not 34th St.  I can't find any evidence of this on the internet, but I remember seeing at least one or two reassurance shields somewhere in Midtown.  It could have been 34th, but I don't recall.  I remember being surprised to see them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.