News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

route17fan

Lots of stuff on the construction opportunities list today. It's a sad day for classic concrete as two of them involve resurfacing.

D263239 Lake Ontario State Parkway for this one: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263239
and
D263288 I-684 for this one: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263288

I am really going to miss the bad-um....bad-um.....bad-um.....bad-um.....bad-um of the concrete.  :-(
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

route17fan

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263288 - check out the plans - book 2 - page 108 (overall page 235) and you'll see a 3-di 684 in a 2-di shield among other interesting things

machias

Quote from: route17fan on November 02, 2016, 11:31:06 AM
https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263288 - check out the plans - book 2 - page 108 (overall page 235) and you'll see a 3-di 684 in a 2-di shield among other interesting things

Please someone confirm that they are not still putting road names in boxed all caps legend in Region 8. That practice should have been long gone nearly 10 years ago. Time to write an email to NYSDOT again.

vdeane

Sadly, boxed street names are indeed in these plans.  So is their own tenth mile marker design (the did change the color scheme to match the MUTCD but still do them in Region 8 size).  And older style exit gore signs.  Basically, it looks like Region 8 prefers to pretend that NYSDOT never adopted the MUTCD.

Quote from: route17fan on November 02, 2016, 11:21:19 AM
Lots of stuff on the construction opportunities list today. It's a sad day for classic concrete as two of them involve resurfacing.

D263239 Lake Ontario State Parkway for this one: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263239
and
D263288 I-684 for this one: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263288

I am really going to miss the bad-um....bad-um.....bad-um.....bad-um.....bad-um of the concrete.  :-(
That section of the Lake Ontario State Parkway already has an asphalt surface.  The concrete is only west of Hamlin Beach State Park, mostly in Orleans County (and some of it may have already been resurfaced).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeek Adam

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.BC_CONST_NOTICE_ADMIN.VIEWFILE?p_file_id=13701&p_is_digital=Y

I'd love to know what's going on page 22 with the NY 22 shields. It looks like someone stretched it out in MS Paint.

Also, still no sign of Taconic plans...
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 02, 2016, 02:38:42 PM
Also, still no sign of Taconic plans...

Don't know about plans, but actual signs have been installed in northern Westchester. They're appearing along with existing signs (sometimes in front, sometimes behind) and the exit numbers are covered over for some reason.

iPhone

Roadgeek Adam

We know of those. I'm referring to Phase II, which does everything north of future exit 20 (in Westchester)
Adam Seth Moss

cl94

From what I have seen, everything north of US 6 is on hold.

Also in those plans are a few more FYAs. Region 5 is all of a sudden going all-out with a bunch being installed on NY 93 in Lockport, while Region 3 is putting some on NY 5 in Elbridge. I don't know of any existing FYAs in Region 3, so these may be the first.

The NY 31/36/531 project is in here as well. NB/SB are getting permissive-only FYAs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 02, 2016, 03:27:17 PM
We know of those. I'm referring to Phase II, which does everything north of future exit 20 (in Westchester)

Hmm, perhaps they're waiting for the Pudding St. project before getting to that section?

iPhone

SignBridge

And re: another subject we were discussing a few pages back: Guess where there is now a new apparently staffed snack bar at a NYSDOT Welcome Center on an Interstate highway?

Just opened recently on Interstate-495, AKA the Long Island Expwy. between Exits 51-52 in Suffolk County, Region-10. I'm amazed. Hasn't it already been established that this cannot be done on an Interstate highway? I don't agree with that policy but is it not still a Federal rule?

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2016, 06:39:26 PM

Wonder if his subordinates read this board for more project ideas to complete before reelection. If so:

I-88 extension to "Alt 7" north of Albany
I-92 from 87/Glens Falls to US 4/VT border
ALL of I-86
Yeah, and finish the damn Bear Mountain State Parkway gap while you're at it too.

And speaking of parkways in Westchester; More interchanges and other intersection eliminations.

Mergingtraffic

Original concrete on I-684.  I'll miss the button copy...anybody know when they were installed?

Original concrete from the 1960s. I-684 SB near Purdys, NY. by mergingtraffic, on Flickr
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 06, 2016, 08:36:08 PM
Original concrete on I-684.  I'll miss the button copy...anybody know when they were installed?
Depending on section; I-684 was built between 1968 and 1974 along with its original button-copy signs
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

That concrete was rough in places the last time I was over it. New York's original concrete (still a bunch on the parkways) is not wearing particularly well and probably should have been diamond ground a long time ago.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

MikeCL

Kinda like 95-S I have to say it held up better then I thought it would but they finally paved over it now

machias

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 06, 2016, 08:40:43 PM
Depending on section; I-684 was built between 1968 and 1974 along with its original button-copy signs

I don't think there's any original button copy along I-684 but second generation button copy. I could be wrong, but original button copy from the building of the highway would be darker green, centered exit tabs and all-text route number designations (except for Interstates).

PHLBOS

Quote from: upstatenyroads on November 07, 2016, 07:51:53 AM

I don't think there's any original button copy along I-684 but second generation button copy. I could be wrong, but original button copy from the building of the highway would be darker green, centered exit tabs and all-text route number designations (except for Interstates).
The only original button-copy BGS' near/along I-684 I'm aware of that are still around are the approach signage from I-287 eastbound.

Advance (1/2 mile) BGS along I-287 East

Exit BGS itself off I-287 East

Split-ramp signage after exiting I-287 East
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: cl94 on November 06, 2016, 08:57:26 PM
That concrete was rough in places the last time I was over it. New York's original concrete (still a bunch on the parkways) is not wearing particularly well and probably should have been diamond ground a long time ago.

The DOT didn't resurface it for 30 some off years...now when it gets repaved there will be touch ups after 7 and repaving after 10.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 07, 2016, 08:20:28 AM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on November 07, 2016, 07:51:53 AM

The only original button-copy BGS' near/along I-684 I'm aware of that are still around are the approach signage from I-287 eastbound.

Advance (1/2 mile) BGS along I-287 East

Exit BGS itself off I-287 East

Split-ramp signage after exiting I-287 East

I believe I have them all on my Flickr page.
Original non-reflective button copy. Harrison, NY. I-287 EB. Notice the "Exit" word next to "1 MILE" the old way of signing it. Does this sign date to when I-87 was renumbered as I-684. by mergingtraffic, on Flickr

However, the Exit 9 N-S sign "Hutch Pkwy and Merritt Pkwy 1/4 Mile" on the WB frontage Road has a "County of Westchester" decal at the bottom. Could be a reason why some have never been replaced.

Sam

A HAWK pedestrian crossing popped up at NY 324 and Logan Ave. in Tonawanda (between Ted's and Anderson's). I don't remember seeing it two weeks ago. Lots of honking horns as drivers try to figure out what to do during the flashing red phase.

cl94

Quote from: Sam on November 13, 2016, 11:42:07 PM
A HAWK pedestrian crossing popped up at NY 324 and Logan Ave. in Tonawanda (between Ted's and Anderson's). I don't remember seeing it two weeks ago. Lots of honking horns as drivers try to figure out what to do during the flashing red phase.

It went in over the summer. That one is a bitch.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cl94 on November 13, 2016, 11:44:53 PM
Quote from: Sam on November 13, 2016, 11:42:07 PM

It went in over the summer. That one is a bitch.

It's been fun to watch people have no idea what they are doing.
Adam Seth Moss

SignBridge

I assume we're talking about what the MUTCD calls Pedestrian Hybrid Beacons. (Chapter 4F) I've never seen one except in the Manual. Their stated purpose is: to facilitate pedestrian crossings at a location that does not meet traffic signal warrants. They seem like a dopey idea to me. If I was not familiar with them from the Manual, and I saw one of these things I would have no clue what to make of it and I'm sure many drivers will react that way.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on November 14, 2016, 08:06:32 PM
I assume we're talking about what the MUTCD calls Pedestrian Hybrid Beacons. (Chapter 4F) I've never seen one except in the Manual. Their stated purpose is: to facilitate pedestrian crossings at a location that does not meet traffic signal warrants. They seem like a dopey idea to me. If I was not familiar with them from the Manual, and I saw one of these things I would have no clue what to make of it and I'm sure many drivers will react that way.

The easiest way would have been to have a green light that turns yellow, then red, then the red starts flashing before returning to steady green.

route17fan

The much-awaited Taconic State Parkway Stage 2 sign plans are out - D263236

Link: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263236

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.