News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Why did AASHTO disapprove the relocation of US 87 onto WY 193?

Started by bugo, April 26, 2015, 08:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

US 87 has a segment that is permanently closed due to a landslide near Story, Wyoming. There is a good detour route, WY 193, that bypasses the landslide. Wyoming wanted to reroute US 87 onto WY 193 but it was denied. The current US 87 will likely never be repaired because it might damage a historic site near the landslide. Why on earth would they deny this rerouting?

NE2

Because they want it moved to I-90. Fuck them.

http://route.transportation.org/Documents/2001_USRN_Cmte.pdf
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

halork

At the risk of running off onto a tangent, US-87 ought to be decertified from end-to-end anyway. It's useless outside of Texas and Montana; let those states give their sections a state route number.

Rover_0

Quote from: halork on April 27, 2015, 06:43:39 AM
At the risk of running off onto a tangent, US-87 ought to be decertified from end-to-end anyway. It's useless outside of Texas and Montana; let those states give their sections a state route number.

At the risk of going off into another tangent, if you decertify US-87, why not transfer it over to US-191 anyways? It would still fit the grid and actually have a route of its own.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Scott5114

Quote from: NE2 on April 26, 2015, 09:11:52 PM

They actually denied it because WY 193 doesn't meet US highway standards. They recommended I-90 as an alternate routing.

In this case, though, AASHTO should have approved a waiver to WY 193. Having a substandard route is better than having no thru route at all. I'm loathe to advocate it, but WYDOT should pull an ODOT and just sign the reroute. Maybe they could include ½" DETOUR plaques with the signs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 27, 2015, 02:54:55 PM

They actually denied it because WY 193 doesn't meet US highway standards. They recommended I-90 as an alternate routing.

In this case, though, AASHTO should have approved a waiver to WY 193. Having a substandard route is better than having no thru route at all. I'm loathe to advocate it, but WYDOT should pull an ODOT and just sign the reroute. Maybe they could include ½" DETOUR plaques with the signs.

Google map shows them running together.

87 is pretty useless most of the way

texaskdog

how about rerouting US 87 via US 310 (which can be shortened if not eliminated), WY 120, and a duplex with US 26 back to Scottsbluff, then south on multistate 71 down and replace US 350 to Trinidad?  Or even take over 287.....I know we're getting into fictional highway territory.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 27, 2015, 02:54:55 PM

There are no "US Highway Standards".

NE2

AASHTO applies their "Green Book" standards to new U.S. Highways.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kkt

I see AASHTO's point.  Route numbers are to guide motorists to the best, quickest, or easiest way between two points.  If US 87 isn't that way, what's it for?

NE2

Quote from: kkt on April 27, 2015, 04:38:36 PM
I see AASHTO's point.  Route numbers are to guide motorists to the best, quickest, or easiest way between two points.  If US 87 isn't that way, what's it for?
That's what I-90 is for. US 87 is for the best non-Interstate route.

kkt

Quote from: NE2 on April 27, 2015, 11:35:37 PM

But why?  Sure, road geeks care because road archaeology.  But they'd get their information elsewhere.  For most of the travelling public, getting rid of redundant old route numbers when they're superseded by parallel freeways is helpful.

bugo

Quote from: kkt on April 28, 2015, 12:46:08 AM
Quote from: NE2 on April 27, 2015, 11:35:37 PM

But why?  Sure, road geeks care because road archaeology.  But they'd get their information elsewhere.  For most of the travelling public, getting rid of redundant old route numbers when they're superseded by parallel freeways is helpful.

It's not redundant. What if, say, an earthquake damaged part of I-90? With an independent US 87, traffic could be detoured onto a state highway. Decommission US 87 and move it onto I-90 and you don't have a state-maintained detour route.

oscar

Quote from: bugo on April 28, 2015, 01:10:26 AM

It's not redundant. What if, say, an earthquake damaged part of I-90? With an independent US 87, traffic could be detoured onto a state highway. Decommission US 87 and move it onto I-90 and you don't have a state-maintained detour route.

Removing the US 87 route markers doesn't necessarily remove the state maintenance. WYDOT can assign new state route numbers to the decommissioned part of US 87, such as adding most of it to WY 193.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bugo

Quote from: oscar on April 28, 2015, 03:11:38 AM
Quote from: bugo on April 28, 2015, 01:10:26 AM

Removing the US 87 route markers doesn't necessarily remove the state maintenance. WYDOT can assign new state route numbers to the decommissioned part of US 87, such as adding most of it to WY 193.
[/quote]

You mixed up the quote. I want it to be known that I fully support US 87 and other US and state routes that are paralleled by interstates having their own alignment which provides an alternate to the interstate in case the interstate is blocked or if one simply wants to take the old 2 lane road instead of the freeway. I also think US 87 should be rerouted on WY 193. AASHTO might have a stick up their ass saying that WY 193 isn't up to "US highway standards" (whatever that is) but current US 87 is impassable. The supposedly substandard WY 193 is still superior to the US 87 alignment that is no longer a through highway. AASHTO seems to be more lenient these days. Maybe if Wyoming reapplied for the rerouting it would be approved.

Henry

I agree; US 87 ought to be rerouted onto WY 193, regardless of whether or not it is the best detour around the damaged area. It's one thing to have Interstate-standard and substandard freeways, but what the hell are US highway standards? Never heard of them, and if there were such a thing, it's the stupidest thing ever invented in the roadgeek world!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

andy3175

US 87 in Wyoming is one of my favorite topics. I agree with Jeremy's position on this one. It should be rerouted onto Wyoming 193, especially since WyoDOT realigned the intersection so that through traffic transitions from US 87 onto Wyoming 193 and then back onto US 87. The curious thing is, while US 87 is following a non-Interstate highway alignment just south of Sheridan, I have wondered why other old alignments of US 87 have not similarly retained the US 87 designation and instead are given state highway designations. Significant sections of old US 87 have been retained in the Wyoming state highway system, for better or for worse, but only this segment and a shared segment with US 20-26 between Casper and Glenrock allow US 87 some travel away from the Interstates. I've always been amazed to see all the shared alignments among most roadways in Wyoming, not just pairing Interstate and US but also matching Interstate business routes with US routes, combining multiple US routes, merging and detangling Wyoming 130-230 at both ends, and watching Wyoming 789 share pavement with just about any route it meets. It's great for signage geeks (like when I go to Buffalo and try to figure out where, exactly, the north end of Business Loop I-25 is). So maybe WyoDOT will sign both US 87 and Wyoming 193*, just to keep US 87 sharing alignment with another route?

* - If AASHTO gives permission. I don't know if WyoDOT would go against AASHTO's ruling on this matter. But I doubt WyoDOT intends to place US 87 back onto I-90.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

I wonder if it has anything to do with the reasoning behind why the AASHO denied an extension of US 666 in Utah many decades ago?

Brian556

I say put it on WY 193. I feel that it is important to maintain the original US highway designations off-interstate so that it is easy for drivers to find and use it as an alternate when there is a problem on the interstate.

It is a shame that states like Texas chose to build interstates over the top of the original US highways. This is to the detriment of motorists because it leaves no reasonable alternate route if a problem occurs on the interstate.

Thumbs up to Florida for not doing this.

texaskdog

Quote from: Brian556 on April 30, 2015, 04:32:32 PM
I say put it on WY 193. I feel that it is important to maintain the original US highway designations off-interstate so that it is easy for drivers to find and use it as an alternate when there is a problem on the interstate.

It is a shame that states like Texas chose to build interstates over the top of the original US highways. This is to the detriment of motorists because it leaves no reasonable alternate route if a problem occurs on the interstate.

Last year in Wisconsin there was a traffic jam outside of Eau Claire.  Having US 12 there was a big help as I knew the alternate route.

Henry

Quote from: 707 on April 30, 2015, 02:28:09 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with the reasoning behind why the AASHO denied an extension of US 666 in Utah many decades ago?
I thought the real reason was the superstition behind 666, and the fear of sign theft.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bugo

Quote from: Henry on May 04, 2015, 12:57:42 PM
Quote from: 707 on April 30, 2015, 02:28:09 PM
I thought the real reason was the superstition behind 666, and the fear of sign theft.

The Christian superstition. Had it been any other religion, it wouldn't have been changed.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Brian556 on April 30, 2015, 04:32:32 PM

Sorry, I don't get it. It's much more useful for the congestion alternative to have the parallel route marked "Emergency" I-xx, like Michigan does with I-94. Otherwise, how do I know a particular U.S. route is a parallel alternate?
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

texaskdog

maybe they could get in the habit of marking these roads with the same number.  "Wyoming 25" could parallel I-25 wherever needed.  If someone can't tell the difference between the highways they are an idiot.

bugo

Quote from: texaskdog on May 05, 2015, 10:48:38 AM
maybe they could get in the habit of marking these roads with the same number.  "Wyoming 25" could parallel I-25 wherever needed.  If someone can't tell the difference between the highways they are an idiot.

If the old route crossed the new route, it could cause major confusion similar to the US 74/I-74 clusterfuck in North Carolina and the pending US 69/I-69 crossing in Texas. There are some other examples like US 27 and GA 27 and US 70 and TX 70.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.