News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

More symbolic signs, less word only.

Started by NJ, November 25, 2015, 11:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ

Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
I just threw this together in Illustrator...thoughts?

Nice... I like it actually  :bigass: However, without car on pictogram could also be used

jwolfer

Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2015, 04:44:46 PM
Quote from: roadfro on November 25, 2015, 03:13:15 PM
The MUTCD has actually been moving more toward symbolization. The 2009 version introduced several new symbols, in part based

I wish someone could explain to me why "narrow bridge" was removed. I still see it all the time, but I know it ain't in the manual:

I really liked this sign and it seemed to be almost universal, at least here on Florida.. Now new digs have NARROW BRIDGE text signs

GaryV

Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2015, 09:21:40 PM

Here's something for wind. Shows a wind sock, common in other country's 'wind ahead' signs:

Looks more like a construction barrel that got blown over to me.

jakeroot

Quote from: GaryV on November 25, 2015, 10:22:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Q0pOMIQ.png

Hmm, I can see that. Though hopefully the surrounding environment (a bridge, open area, etc) would provide the context necessary for comprehension.

DaBigE

Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2015, 11:24:45 PM
Quote from: GaryV on November 25, 2015, 10:22:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Q0pOMIQ.png

Hmm, I can see that. Though hopefully the surrounding environment (a bridge, open area, etc) would provide the context necessary for comprehension.

Combined with roadfro's post we have the reason why so many signs have remained simple one or two-word messages. In order for a sign to be useful, its message has to be clear, quick to understand, and lack ambiguity.

Quote from: myosh_tino on November 25, 2015, 08:50:23 PM
Heh, not bad although it looks like the car's front axle has fallen away. :)

Perhaps a little extreme. :-D

Here's something for wind. Shows a wind sock, common in other country's 'wind ahead' signs:

Quote from: roadfro on November 25, 2015, 06:56:37 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Brasil_A-44.svg/64px-Brasil_A-44.svg.png ... Not sure that this would make sense in places that don't have palm trees...

The point is to at least show a tall object bending over from a visibile strong wind. Tree or otherwise, the point gets across.

How about a some banners on a flagpole, or a single, generic flag perhaps shown bending the pole instead? Borrow the maritime high wind flags as a symbol? On second thought, the latter probably wouldn't test well, especially in the middle of the continent.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Brandon

Quote from: roadfro on November 25, 2015, 06:56:37 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Brasil_A-44.svg/64px-Brasil_A-44.svg.png ... Not sure that this would make sense in places that don't have palm trees...

The point is to at least show a tall object bending over from a visible strong wind. Tree or otherwise, the point gets across.

That might work.  Some states, such as Nebraska, use such windsocks at the tops of freeway overpasses.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mrsman

As mentioned earlier, there is no reason why the highway depts. could post both the picture and the meaning on the more obscure signs. 

Here's a great example:

http://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/3185393/323238755/stock-photo-black-and-yellow-school-bus-stop-ahead-sign-323238755.jpg

NJ

Quote from: mrsman on December 06, 2015, 07:55:42 AM
As mentioned earlier, there is no reason why the highway depts. could post both the picture and the meaning on the more obscure signs. 

Here's a great example:

http://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/3185393/323238755/stock-photo-black-and-yellow-school-bus-stop-ahead-sign-323238755.jpg

Latest 2009 MUTCD actually added pictogram sign for that similar to yours...

cjk374

Why should we change for the sake of the world??? We're Murica! We can do whatever the hell we want! If the world don't like it, they can keep their ass at home!!!

Now that I have vented the redneck out..... :bigass:

I interpreted California's falling rock sign as BLASTING ZONE when I first saw NJ's original post.  But then myosh_tino said it meant FALLING ROCK and I could see that also.  My idea for a FALLING ROCK symbol sign: the black silhouette of Wylie E. Coyote holding a small umbrella over his head with a rock over him with vertical lines indicating a downward motion.

I don't see NO PASSING in that sign on NJ's original post of it. That would definitely cause confusion.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mgk920

I do like the idea of using the European-style wind sock image (without the up-arrow) for areas where heavy winds are common, pointing in the most common direction of the high crosswinds.  Also follow the European practice of mounting large wind socks where the high winds are common.

Although I don't have an image handy, I'd also like to see the European 'watch for congested traffic' warning image (the head-on profile of several cars superimposed on each other) used here in North America.  There is a place here in Appleton where such a sign is badly needed.

Use supplemental text plates under the signs for the first 10-20 years of their use to cover the 'Drivers Ed' issue for their meaning.

Mike

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on November 26, 2015, 12:36:12 AM
How about a some banners on a flagpole, or a single, generic flag perhaps shown bending the pole instead? Borrow the maritime high wind flags as a symbol? On second thought, the latter probably wouldn't test well, especially in the middle of the continent.

Still trying to figure out how to best utilize the available space, but I think this is sufficient:

Mergingtraffic

I remember reading somewhere that text signs compared to symbols catch the motorist's attention more.  It could be wrong but I remember seeing that factoid somewhere.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

bzakharin

Tangentially, why did the stop sign make it to so much of the world, including the English word "STOP" itself (usually)? How many other eight-sided red colored signs are there?

jakeroot

Quote from: bzakharin on December 09, 2015, 03:43:22 PM
Tangentially, why did the stop sign make it to so much of the world, including the English word "STOP" itself (usually)? How many other eight-sided red colored signs are there?

The red colour and octagonal shape are unique to stop signs, as you mention. The wording is simply a reminder of what the shape means, should somebody need it.

Most countries use their own language, or a white hand. Not sure if any other country besides majority-English speaking countries use the English "STOP" (although there is the potential that "stop" is the same in other languages).

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on December 09, 2015, 12:32:29 PM
I remember reading somewhere that text signs compared to symbols catch the motorist's attention more.  It could be wrong but I remember seeing that factoid somewhere.

That seems like a long-shot but I'm all ears if it's true.

Brandon

Quote from: mgk920 on December 06, 2015, 12:29:16 PM

I do like the idea of using the European-style wind sock image (without the up-arrow) for areas where heavy winds are common, pointing in the most common direction of the high crosswinds.  Also follow the European practice of mounting large wind socks where the high winds are common.

Nebraska does exactly that where high winds might be common along I-80.

Example: https://goo.gl/maps/cCJxM2dhJTw
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on December 09, 2015, 04:01:41 PMNot sure if any other country besides majority-English speaking countries use the English "STOP"

Turkey is the only European country I'm aware of that uses a word other than English STOP. Even European countries that use the Cyrillic alphabet have English STOP.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on December 09, 2015, 05:25:52 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 09, 2015, 04:01:41 PM
Not sure if any other country besides majority-English speaking countries use the English "STOP"

Turkey is the only European country I'm aware of that uses a word other than English STOP. Even European countries that use the Cyrillic alphabet have English STOP.

The Vienna convention allows either "STOP" or the language equivalent of the country, which is basically another way of saying "the red octagon is the only important bit". I assume most countries don't use the stop sign enough to give a damn what the text says.

Outside of Europe (ex bits of Ireland and Turkey, evidently), my original point still stands.

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on December 09, 2015, 10:03:28 PM
Not sure if any other country besides majority-English speaking countries use the English "STOP"

The Vienna convention allows either "STOP" or the language equivalent of the country, which is basically another way of saying "the red octagon is the only important bit". I assume most countries don't use the stop sign enough to give a damn what the text says.

Outside of Europe (ex bits of Ireland and Turkey, evidently), my original point still stands.

https://goo.gl/maps/L7mUD3X4SCs

Come to think of it, how many countries don't use a red octagon at all (other than Japan, which uses a red triangle).

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 09, 2015, 10:20:38 PM

https://goo.gl/maps/L7mUD3X4SCs

Come to think of it, how many countries don't use a red octagon at all (other than Japan, which uses a red triangle).

The red octagon is fairly standard. Zimbabwe uses a black cross. The Vienna Convention provides for a circle with an upside-down triangle as well.

Indonesia is a fairly isolated example. Most Asian countries use their local language.

jwolfer

Quote from: jakeroot on December 09, 2015, 04:01:41 PMNot sure if any other country besides majority-English speaking countries use the English "STOP"

I know Turkey has a small bit in Europe. But it is mostly in Asia.

Rothman

When I lived in Volgograd, Russia, I saw your typical, English STOP sign at the exit from a lot that contained a market and a small circus.  Only one I saw when I was there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bzakharin

Quote from: Rothman on December 14, 2015, 09:38:32 AM

When I lived in Volgograd, Russia, I saw your typical, English STOP sign at the exit from a lot that contained a market and a small circus.  Only one I saw when I was there.
There was one in St. Petersburg (then Leningrad) in a park (or maybe next to) near where I lived. It would be around here somewhere: https://www.google.com/maps/@59.9926878,30.3502073,16z though no idea if it's still there

NJRoadfan

An actual "rough road ahead" graphical sign installed in the US: https://goo.gl/maps/w3o97k75JH72

roadfro

^ That is the old "pavement ends" sign.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

briantroutman

Quote from: roadfro on December 15, 2015, 12:47:35 AM
^ That is the old "pavement ends" sign.

I didn't realize that sign was "old"  until I checked the current MUTCD and saw that it refers only to the "PAVEMENT ENDS (W8-3) word message sign" . Was the graphical sign decertified?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.